Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

joeyofarimathea
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Wested Raiders Jacket advice....

Post by joeyofarimathea »

Hello to all my fellow Indygear-er-ers,

So im almost ready to purchase a Wested Raiders Jacket. However, I could really use all your expert recommendations. What specs. should I ask for to ensure I get the most Raiders ( general) SA version? Which of the following specs are currently perceived as the most SA (as of Feb 2023)?

Which leather is most recommended

To stitch or not to stich ( X or K or what?)

Black buckles for the side straps with or without prongs

Satin or cotton lining

1 or 2 inside pockets

Is there anything else I should be asking for or anything I'm missing

Also some general Wested questions....does Wested automatically put the zipper on the left and will they automatically make it with a nickel zipper or should I ask for it? And are all their Jackets currently made in the UK or do they still offer a " factory " overseas version ( if I remember correctly?).

Any and all help is most appreciated. Thank you kindly.
joeyofarimathea
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Wested Raiders Jacket advice....

By the way I'm sure this has been discussed but i am hoping to get more recent info as Wested Ordering has definitely changed since I was last around here 12ish years ago...

So again any feedback is appreciated.....thanks
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Just get the Legacy, that will answer most of your questions on its own. But the Legacy leather is smoother than the SA leather, it's just that it's got the undertone to distress correctly. If striations et al are *really* important then go with a regular Hero in washed lamb.
If the buckles are really that important then the vintage Solide trouser buckles with the prongs are the most SA, but they do come with drawbacks. Regular black buckles work fine.
And yes, Wested's ordering has changed a lot. They're really not amenable to special requests anymore. You've got the dropdown menus with options and that's about it. But they've dialed in the specs now to be about as SA as you can get for mass production.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Yes the legacy jacket for the most accurate hardware, they offer.
joeyofarimathea
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Thanks for the helpful tips....but what if I did get standard version, is the zipper still on the oppisite( of USA) side ( like i think it is with Legacy?) ? And also are all Wested Raiders Jackets currently only being produced in the UK?

Just curious, thanks
giantthugee86
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by giantthugee86 »

joeyofarimathea wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:55 pm Thanks for the helpful tips....but what if I did get standard version, is the zipper still on the oppisite( of USA) side ( like i think it is with Legacy?) ? And also are all Wested Raiders Jackets currently only being produced in the UK?

Just curious, thanks
They only produce in the UK. If you get the standard it won't be screen accurate. Any hero jacket you get will be pretty screen accurate especially any legacy. All their zippers are on the same side.
joeyofarimathea
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Thanks again.

And if i recall the zipper is supposed to be on the opposite side ( of the USA made jackets)?

* It's been a long time since I've been active 'round here...
giantthugee86
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by giantthugee86 »

joeyofarimathea wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:30 pm Thanks again.

And if i recall the zipper is supposed to be on the opposite side ( of the USA made jackets)?

The slider is on the left side of all their jackets as far as I know.
joeyofarimathea
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

giantthugee86 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:48 pm
joeyofarimathea wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:30 pm

Thanks again.

The slider is on the left side of all their jackets as far as I know.
😊 thanks again
joeyofarimathea
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Also which leather is recommended for the most accurate? Goat,Lamb or CoW?
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

The film jacket was lamb, or more properly, sheep. Wested doesn't truly stock a leather that matches all the qualities of that leather. The Legacy will give you the right color and the shrunken or washed lamb will give you texture (not exactly SA texture, but something).
GeordieIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by GeordieIndy »

I've been looking at the Wested Raiders jackets too.

Initially I was just going to order their Raiders of Lost Ark Leather Jacket in Brown Lambskin, and I was going to order a 36" chest. But then I got looking at the Legacy Hero jacket and Hero Raiders jacket.

When reading the info for their Hero Raiders jacket, it states:

.....differs in fit from the modern easy fit Wested Leather Raiders jacket that we sell today and does not fit like a regular jacket.
The jacket has no inside facings enabling the nickel zip to go right to the bottom of the jacket but may result in a wavering effect.
The collar is cut so it hangs off the back neck.
The oversize shoulder width means the sleeves are set off the shoulder and are narrower and tapered.

Does anyone know if the above information applies to the Legacy Raiders jacket too, or is it different on the Legacy?

I notice the sizes are different too to their normal Raiders jacket, on the normal Raiders size chart if I were to choose the 36" chest, that size has a pit 2 pit measurement of 21". But on the Legacy jacket size chart, the 36" chest size has a pit 2 pit of 20". So, does this mean I should order the next size up, a 38", which has a pit 2 pit of 21"?

Thanks,

Andy
rbxb
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by rbxb »

Illinois_Jones wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:45 pm Just get the Legacy, that will answer most of your questions on its own. But the Legacy leather is smoother than the SA leather, it's just that it's got the undertone to distress correctly. If striations et al are *really* important then go with a regular Hero in washed lamb.
If the buckles are really that important then the vintage Solide trouser buckles with the prongs are the most SA, but they do come with drawbacks. Regular black buckles work fine.
And yes, Wested's ordering has changed a lot. They're really not amenable to special requests anymore. You've got the dropdown menus with options and that's about it. But they've dialed in the specs now to be about as SA as you can get for mass production.
I'm dealing with them now thru email and you are right..I get conflicting answers and told how busy they are. They cant measure the sleeve width of a Legacy Temple for me OR..narrow it a little from whatever it is. Gemma and Peter were more forthcoming and helpful re: customer service.. Steele and Jones has been fast to respond and done good answering my questions
joeyofarimathea
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Absolutely......that's what i ended up doing, after only 2 emails to Wested i knew their service was nowhere close to what they were 13 years ago when Gemma.and even Peter would answer my direct questions! So im so happy that I went with S&J!

S&J/ Diegos customer service has been absolutely world class! I cant say enough good things about them! But just keep in mind that world class service takes lots of time. I ordered in March and I should have it by early August. But to me its well worth it as You get what you pay for. But if you go with their cowhide its really not much more expensive ( if at all?)!

And if their final product is even half as good as their service it will be well worth the wait!

Regards, JoA
rbxb
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by rbxb »

joeyofarimathea wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:12 pm Absolutely......that's what i ended up doing, after only 2 emails to Wested i knew their service was nowhere close to what they were 13 years ago when Gemma.and even Peter would answer my direct questions! So im so happy that I went with S&J!

S&J/ Diegos customer service has been absolutely world class! I cant say enough good things about them! But just keep in mind that world class service takes lots of time. I ordered in March and I should have it by early August. But to me its well worth it as You get what you pay for. But if you go with their cowhide its really not much more expensive ( if at all?)!

And if their final product is even half as good as their service it will be well worth the wait!

Regards, JoA
See my other post the Cazadora 36 is $390 shipped to Texas and the Wested Legacy ToD is $340 + $ 40 shipping and maybe there are additional customs/duty fees??? If my figures are right then it comes down to Wested 6-8 weeks lukewarm customer service and Steele & Jones better cust serv but longer wait 3-6 mos.....Cheers :)
Arch Stanton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Arch Stanton »

rbxb wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:17 pmSee my other post the Cazadora 36 is $390 shipped to Texas and the Wested Legacy ToD is $340 + $ 40 shipping and maybe there are additional customs/duty fees??? If my figures are right then it comes down to Wested 6-8 weeks lukewarm customer service and Steele & Jones better cust serv but longer wait 3-6 mos.....Cheers :)
Be careful there, though. $390 is the price for Steele & Jones cowhide. I'm quite certain you do NOT want a Raiders jacket in cowhide. You would want lambskin. And Steele & Jones' lambskin Cazadora '36 is $650. This is what you would order if you wanted screen accuracy, and Wested Legacy Raiders in lambskin $375-ish. And you get it in a couple weeks. I would actually very much advise against getting a Raiders jacket in cowhide, from anybody at all...
rbxb
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by rbxb »

Arch Stanton wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:19 am
rbxb wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:17 pmSee my other post the Cazadora 36 is $390 shipped to Texas and the Wested Legacy ToD is $340 + $ 40 shipping and maybe there are additional customs/duty fees??? If my figures are right then it comes down to Wested 6-8 weeks lukewarm customer service and Steele & Jones better cust serv but longer wait 3-6 mos.....Cheers :)
Be careful there, though. ......... advise against getting a Raiders jacket in cowhide, from anybody at all...
Arch. Thanks for your input. Tell me why Cowhide is bad? First I will add that cow is thick, stiffer and doesn't drape as well as Lamb. but S & J offers a thin 0.9mm thin cowhide. Also I just sold an Indiana Jones Raiders Jacket that I believe to be cow and it was definitely thicker, heavier and stiffer than all my preferred Lamb leather coats but it was tougher and more rugged. Most garden variety A2's by Wilson Cooper and OTR jackets are made from cow (or goat). I've had many A2 type Leather coats that were the thicker goat or cow. The beauty of the Lamb is 1) drape, 2) light weight 3) screen accuracy. BUT..... if they can produce a cowhide they say is 0.9mm thin and drapes like lamb, has the right color and is light weight then why still insist on the Lamb?
Rhenvar
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Rhenvar »

I also ordered one Raiders from S&J and I took a cowhide, they told me it is light as the lamb
rbxb
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by rbxb »

Rhenvar wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:10 am I also ordered one Raiders from S&J and I took a cowhide, they told me it is light as the lamb
excellent! They told me the same thing. Please keep us posted on Your S & J experience re: this new jacket. PICS everything..
Rhenvar
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Rhenvar »

I will do it! But unfortunately the expected delivery is in mid-December.. :lol: :cry:
rbxb
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by rbxb »

Rhenvar wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:47 am I will do it! But unfortunately the expected delivery is in mid-December.. :lol: :cry:
That's what they told me. in recent emailings. $390 shipped and likely Dec. delivery.. I'm on the fence between a Wested Legacy TOD or S&J Cazadora lightweight thin cowhide. Wested says 6-8 weeks. In the meantime I just scored another OTR Indiana Jones TM jacket off fleaBay. to pacify until I choose. Good luck with your S&J I'll be watching.
Rhenvar
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Rhenvar »

;) :TOH: Before I was undecided between S&j and Bill Kelso Relic Hunter but i decided to S&J.
rbxb
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by rbxb »

Rhenvar wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:27 pm ;) :TOH: Before I was undecided between S&j and Bill Kelso Relic Hunter but i decided to S&J.
The Bill Kelso's look really nice. This cowboy cant justify over $500 for a jacket with so many other options available. LOL. :whip: :D
Arch Stanton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Arch Stanton »

rbxb wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:20 amArch. Thanks for your input. Tell me why Cowhide is bad? First I will add that cow is thick, stiffer and doesn't drape as well as Lamb. but S & J offers a thin 0.9mm thin cowhide. Also I just sold an Indiana Jones Raiders Jacket that I believe to be cow and it was definitely thicker, heavier and stiffer than all my preferred Lamb leather coats but it was tougher and more rugged. Most garden variety A2's by Wilson Cooper and OTR jackets are made from cow (or goat). I've had many A2 type Leather coats that were the thicker goat or cow. The beauty of the Lamb is 1) drape, 2) light weight 3) screen accuracy. BUT..... if they can produce a cowhide they say is 0.9mm thin and drapes like lamb, has the right color and is light weight then why still insist on the Lamb?
Oh! Cowhide jackets are not bad. And I truly knew nothing about S&J's cowhide being 0.9mm. That is awesome to know and now I want one. I'm basing this off a Magnoli Raiders jacket I have. To be clear, I LOVE the jacket so much. It's just not the "screen-accurate" choice in the drape or lightweight department you speak of. It serves very well the purpose that I have it though. But about what you're saying, if that is the case, then now I want one from S&J...

I didn't know anything about Wested's wait time either. I just ordered a Legacy Last Crusade a couple days ago. I figured it would be a couple weeks like normal. :? I apologize for any confusion, or maybe coming off as critical. Now I'm wondering why anyone might bother with lambskin from S&J if their cowhide is so lightweight. Heck, I might even get a Temple of Doom from them too, while I'm at it with considering the cowhide.
Arch Stanton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Arch Stanton »

EDIT: Oops, double post...
rbxb
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by rbxb »

Arch Stanton wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:24 pm
rbxb wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:20 amArch. Thanks for your input. Tell me why Cowhide is bad? First I will add that cow is thick, stiffer and doesn't drape as well as Lamb. but S & J offers a thin 0.9mm thin cowhide. Also I just sold an Indiana Jones Raiders Jacket that I believe to be cow and it was definitely thicker, heavier and stiffer than all my preferred Lamb leather coats but it was tougher and more rugged. Most garden variety A2's by Wilson Cooper and OTR jackets are made from cow (or goat). I've had many A2 type Leather coats that were the thicker goat or cow. The beauty of the Lamb is 1) drape, 2) light weight 3) screen accuracy. BUT..... if they can produce a cowhide they say is 0.9mm thin and drapes like lamb, has the right color and is light weight then why still insist on the Lamb?
Oh! Cowhide jackets are not bad. And I truly knew nothing about S&J's cowhide being 0.9mm. That is awesome to know and now I want one. I'm basing this off a Magnoli Raiders jacket I have. To be clear, I LOVE the jacket so much. It's just not the "screen-accurate" choice in the drape or lightweight department you speak of. It serves very well the purpose that I have it though. But about what you're saying, if that is the case, then now I want one from S&J...

I didn't know anything about Wested's wait time either. I just ordered a Legacy Last Crusade a couple days ago. I figured it would be a couple weeks like normal. :? I apologize for any confusion, or maybe coming off as critical. Now I'm wondering why anyone might bother with lambskin from S&J if their cowhide is so lightweight. Heck, I might even get a Temple of Doom from them too, while I'm at it with considering the cowhide.
RHENVAR on this thread just ordered an S&J thin Cow. He plans to keep us current on his experience with them and the jacket when he gets it.. I'm anxiously waiting along with him to get the report....Here's to the heat! cheers
rbxb
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by rbxb »

Arch Stanton wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:24 pm

Here's an excerpt from S & J recently. -

"Our Cowhide is sourced locally. Top quality.
Very soft and lightweight. it drapes like Lambskin.:
0.9 mm thick
or 1.2 mm thick".
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Well, I guess there are two main reasons why you would want an Indy jacket: to get screen accuracy or to just have an Indy jacket that you use every day for whatever life throws at you.

The skins will come naturally after that depending on what you choose. For me, I don't really care that much about screen accuracy, I want a real world jacket that fits the bill for my daily use.

Aaahh, nice to have choices, eh? ;)
rbxb
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by rbxb »

Charybdis wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:59 pm Well, I guess there are two main reasons why you would want an Indy jacket: to get screen accuracy or to just have an Indy jacket that you use every day for whatever life throws at you.

The skins will come naturally after that depending on what you choose. For me, I don't really care that much about screen accuracy, I want a real world jacket that fits the bill for my daily use.

Aaahh, nice to have choices, eh? ;)
Amen to that..fully agree. 1) the style / screen similarities. 2) Fit 3) Function 4) then Form
Rhenvar
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Rhenvar »

I fully agree, personally I'm looking for a jacket similar to the movies but I'm more interested in that it's well made, fits me well and is functional. The "movie accurate" for me comes later.
PS. Arch Stanton: No problem! indeed thanks for having said your opinion, however when it arrives I will let you know how it is! About the leather, the difference is probably the appearance of the skin. I think anyone who wants the stripes should still take a lamb. I personally don't like them.

One last question: Sooner or later I would also like to get a wested hero in shrunken lamb, but is it really that complicated to guess the sizes with them? Is there a possibility to make a return?
rbxb
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by rbxb »

Rhenvar wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:56 am question: Sooner or later I would also like to get a wested hero in shrunken lamb, but is it really that complicated to guess the sizes with them? Is there a possibility to make a return?
my last custom Wested was a Hero in Shrunken Lamb.
I think they are a little overated. It was heavy for a lamb. A little too pebble grainy for my tastes. It felt rubbery or had a perceived elasticity. The color was a little on the lighter brown although after showering in it, natural drying, conditioning with Lexol it darkened and had a beautiful rich brown color.The Hero cut looks great in a few scenes in the movies but here in the real world for every day use it doesnt look or hang right. It has the opposite affect looking like an ill fitting garment. It DID drape nice but I’ll never get another Hero cut unless I was being personally measured by Wested on site. I didnt dislike it but it’s not what I expected. Hope this helps 😎
Rhenvar
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Rhenvar »

Oh, ok thanks a lot for the information! So I understand that you don't recommend it much.. in case I'll wait for the S&J without making other risky purchases :-k :TOH:
rbxb
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by rbxb »

Rhenvar wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:56 am Oh, ok thanks a lot for the information! So I understand that you don't recommend it much.. in case I'll wait for the S&J without making other risky purchases :-k :TOH:
This is my 'sized' 42. Wested Hero Shrunken Lambskin
I'm 6', 207lbs, 36" waist
I normally wear a size 44 Reg in everything else.
You can see in these pics how much extra room it has in the breast area almost blousing out. From the back the shoulders are about right for the wider, off the neck hero cut. Even from the side though, you see there's too much material around the chest (under arms). That's why I would never again get a HERO as the numbers were right In fact it should have been too tight in that area as I'm a little over a 44...more like a 45 Reg. This thing looks like I'm wearing a coat made for Arnold Schwartzenagger ;-). I want to add that this is NOT an indictment against Wested. I am in comm with them now about getting a Temple of Doom Legacy in Lamb and to their credit (after a little pushing) they agreed to taper the sleeves as much as the pattern will allow. SO.....it's between them or an S & J Cazadora 36 lightweight cow. decisions decisions
Attachments
Shrunken Lamb Hero Lft Rear 42 small.jpeg
Shrunken Lamb Hero Back 42 small.jpeg
Hero frnt 42.jpg
Rhenvar
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Rhenvar »

A ok thanks a lot for the photos and the information! :TOH: Anyway, apart from the things you say, it doesn't seem bad to me. Sooner or later I'd like to get a wested but with all the models and skins available, even if I've read various forum pages, I don't know which one to choose!
OldGringo
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by OldGringo »

Very true statement Rhenvar.....I've been on this sight since 1999......still same .?..What Wested should I order..?...aside from screen close.....think about it for awhile.....what would you really like to wear......???...what ever you chose....it will still look like a Indy jacket.....do not stress over it....enjoy it :TOH:...but just so you know...as a leather guy....lamb skin won't last as long as cow...goat or horsehide..Its more of a fashion leather.....fine to film a movie....but not great to want to hand down to your grandkids....unless you don't wear it....I owned a Wested horse......it was built to last a hundred years.....just very uncomfortable.....like iron..but I loved it still......just remember...you are not picking out a Indy jacket for Harrison Ford.....you are picking out a Indy jacket made for you....... :tup:
Rhenvar
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Rhenvar »

Thanks for the nice message! :TOH: For now I'm waiting for mine S&J Riders in cowhide, It should arrive in December. Then we'll see later..
rbxb
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by rbxb »

Rhenvar wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:48 am Thanks for the nice message! :TOH: For now I'm waiting for mine S&J Riders in cowhide, It should arrive in December. Then we'll see later..
I sold that Wested 42 hero.
I snatched an S & J off the grey market. It's 44 sized '36 Cazadora and after a bit of water treatment to shrink the sleeve length It truly is as good an Indiana Jones jacket as I've owned. That includes FIT, Leather (lamb), style, features and quality. Keep us posted on your SJ cow when you get it.
rbxb
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by rbxb »

OldGringo wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:45 pm Very true statement Rhenvar.....I've been on this sight since 1999......still same .?..What Wested should I order..?...aside from screen close.....think about it for awhile.....what would you really like to wear......???...what ever you chose....it will still look like a Indy jacket.....do not stress over it....enjoy it :TOH:...but just so you know...as a leather guy....lamb skin won't last as long as cow...goat or horsehide..Its more of a fashion leather.....fine to film a movie....but not great to want to hand down to your grandkids....unless you don't wear it....I owned a Wested horse......it was built to last a hundred years.....just very uncomfortable.....like iron..but I loved it still......just remember...you are not picking out a Indy jacket for Harrison Ford.....you are picking out a Indy jacket made for you....... :tup:
Wise words indeed. Preach it brother
OldGringo
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by OldGringo »

Yes....please post it when you get it.....never gets old having a fellow fan post there new pride and joy.....Cheers!
Rhenvar
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Rhenvar »

As soon as it arrives I will definitely do it! but unfortunately we will have to wait until December.. ](*,)