All of the "Close Enough" Boots?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Bamindy
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Re: All of the "Close Enough" Boots?

Post by Bamindy »

Not bad if you're UK based, though they do ship worldwide...

http://www.next.co.uk/g263182s2#191513" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers,
B
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

davidd wrote:The Red Wing Heritage 1907; not all that close, I guess. :[
Seeing as Indy was supposed to wear Red Wings until HF insisted on Aldens, you have yourself some proto-Indy boots.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by davidd »

Indiana Jeff wrote:Seeing as Indy was supposed to wear Red Wings until HF insisted on Aldens, you have yourself some proto-Indy boots.
That was my initial thinking. The 1907s are kind of... clunky, though, in person. More Frankenstein than Indiana Jones. They seem to be sized correctly, a bit snug at first, so they're not too large. They will definitely require some serious break-in time, as the blister on my heel attests. Maybe once they loosen up they'll feel a little less clod-hopperish.
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

Learned about these on a Facebook Indy cosplay group: Bostonian Walker Mid Ankle boot. For some reasons it’s listed as a woman’s boot, but that’s incorrect. They were apparently $30 not too long ago, but now $47.

Bostonian Women's Walker Mid Ankle Boot https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M7GJ4DJ/re ... 3PBT?psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Raider Of The Lost Ark
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Raider Of The Lost Ark »

davidd wrote:
Indiana Jeff wrote:Seeing as Indy was supposed to wear Red Wings until HF insisted on Aldens, you have yourself some proto-Indy boots.
That was my initial thinking. The 1907s are kind of... clunky, though, in person. More Frankenstein than Indiana Jones. They seem to be sized correctly, a bit snug at first, so they're not too large. They will definitely require some serious break-in time, as the blister on my heel attests. Maybe once they loosen up they'll feel a little less clod-hopperish.

I’d contemplated getting those, but asking for them to put the thinner vibrum sole on, the one from the Iron Ranger model, not the clunky ‘combat’ one. They used to sell them like that for awhile, and I thought it made a really good ‘close enough’. Model 2954. Turns out they stopped making them in 2019, just before I found out they existed....... However I’ve been unable to find any left in the UK.

I was in email conversation with someone when lockdown hit. I was trying to negotiate the vibrum sole being put on to start with, rather than me sending them immediately back for ‘repair’ and having the soles swapped.

I still may do this, as I like the look of the boot, and the Iron Rangers I have. However I’ve since bought Wested boots and I really like them.

Not sure if you can actually get them in the USA -

http://www.redwingshoes.sg/footwear/foo ... tage-2954/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: All of the

Post by Illinois_Jones »

cm289 wrote:Learned about these on a Facebook Indy cosplay group: Bostonian Walker Mid Ankle boot. For some reasons it’s listed as a woman’s boot, but that’s incorrect. They were apparently $30 not too long ago, but now $47.

Bostonian Women's Walker Mid Ankle Boot https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M7GJ4DJ/re ... 3PBT?psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LOL. Those have been my "secret" cheap knockaround Indy boot for years. I've gotten several pairs in the $30-40 range and they are great for the money. But I never mention them on the boards because they're weirdly in short supply and the price fluctuates. They are a chukka and thus a solid eyelet/half inch shorter than a standard boot, and not as good quality as the J Crews or Westeds, but if you can get them for around $50 they won't disappoint.
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

Illinois_Jones wrote: LOL. Those have been my "secret" cheap knockaround Indy boot for years. I've gotten several pairs in the $30-40 range and they are great for the money. But I never mention them on the boards because they're weirdly in short supply and the price fluctuates. They are a chukka and thus a solid eyelet/half inch shorter than a standard boot, and not as good quality as the J Crews or Westeds, but if you can get them for around $50 they won't disappoint.
That's funny. I think I would go for these if I didn't already have something. How long did they last you?
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

They'll last a year or so with normal use. Technically they can be resoled, and strangely they're kind of a blake stitch, but they're probably not worth resoling. They don't compare to my Aldens or Red Wings or Redbacks or anything in the $200+ range, but they look better than a lot of boots in their price range and for the cosplayer they work great.
davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by davidd »

Raider Of The Lost Ark wrote: . . .and I thought it made a really good ‘close enough’. Model 2954. Turns out they stopped making them in 2019, just before I found out they existed.......

Not sure if you can actually get them in the USA.
That model is not even listed on the Redwing USA website, which is unfortunate.

By the way, my first pair of 1907 boots broke in nicely and eventually became so comfortable that they were my daily "go-to" shoes for pretty much everything, to the point where I managed to wear them out - soles worn thin, stitching coming undone, toes worn through from crawling around on the ground doing construction and repair work. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with the quality. I literally wore them out through use and abuse! I've since purchased two more pairs - the 6" 1907 and the classic high-top 8" style 877.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

There was a shift that happened a few years ago where a few companies that produced long running moc toe models stopped and other companies started.

The new big dog on the moc toe block are the Nick's moc toe model that came out recently. They're likely the most durable Indy style boot around now.

The other is Grant Stone's Brass model. A fantastic boot.
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

Got these suede J Crew Kenton Pacers (used) in the mail today. Been looking for a few years for a pair in my size, finally found ‘em. The sole looks like an old pencil eraser, but I don’t mind. (Edit- Holy cow! These are quite a bit lighter than my 404s, but those are sooo much more comfortable. Let’s see if I can get a gel insert in these without them being too tight.)

Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

The J Crews can vary wildly depending on the batch and run. I've had great pairs and I've had really bad pairs. Thankfully they appear to be using Chromexcel and Vibram these days. Personally I tend to avoid suede in boots. It's just not dense enough, which might be part of the comfort issue. Rough out is for boots, suede is for shoes IMHO.
Nosirrah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Nosirrah »

Illinois_Jones wrote:They'll last a year or so with normal use. Technically they can be resoled, and strangely they're kind of a blake stitch, but they're probably not worth resoling. They don't compare to my Aldens or Red Wings or Redbacks or anything in the $200+ range, but they look better than a lot of boots in their price range and for the cosplayer they work great.
Thanks for the tip! :tup:
I can't resist a bargain, so when I found the Bostonians in my size for $47, I pulled the trigger. They arrived yesterday. They'll be fine for street wear after break-in, but no way I'd put them to work.
I wouldn't call it a chukka-- the uppers are taller and more structured, notably the false moc toe. I like the plainer soles, better for street than my other "close-enoughs," a true moc-toe Dr Scholls, that have a black Vibram waffle-stomper sole and are great work boots. The $35(!) Scholls required no break-in, have great traction and support (like Aldens, they're basically orthopedics), but pick up dirt like an Electro-Lux. :roll:
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Nosirrah wrote:
Illinois_Jones wrote:They'll last a year or so with normal use. Technically they can be resoled, and strangely they're kind of a blake stitch, but they're probably not worth resoling. They don't compare to my Aldens or Red Wings or Redbacks or anything in the $200+ range, but they look better than a lot of boots in their price range and for the cosplayer they work great.
Thanks for the tip! :tup:
I can't resist a bargain, so when I found the Bostonians in my size for $47, I pulled the trigger. They arrived yesterday. They'll be fine for street wear after break-in, but no way I'd put them to work.
I wouldn't call it a chukka-- the uppers are taller and more structured, notably the false moc toe. I like the plainer soles, better for street than my other "close-enoughs," a true moc-toe Dr Scholls, that have a black Vibram waffle-stomper sole and are great work boots. The $35(!) Scholls required no break-in, have great traction and support (like Aldens, they're basically orthopedics), but pick up dirt like an Electro-Lux. :roll:
Yeah, they are a good around-town shoe. They are a somewhat unique height, and like you said, the plain sole is better for urban areas. Having been in the military, I never understood casual shoes having a huge commando waffle stomper sole. I remember back in the 90s when everyone started wearing oxfords with a massive Doc Marten style sole and all they did was pick up stones which would then click once you walked on tile or linoleum.
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

Here are a couple of Amazon.com possibilities for tighter budgets --

https://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Foundry- ... r_hp_atf_m" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.amazon.com/Eastland-Mens-Se ... r_hp_atf_m" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MikeMac
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MikeMac »

Has anyone considered Thursday Diplomats? https://thursdayboots.com/products/mens ... tion=boots" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course the sole is not accurate, but once it is worn down, an cobbler could replace it with something more accurate.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

MikeMac wrote:Has anyone considered Thursday Diplomats? https://thursdayboots.com/products/mens ... tion=boots" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course the sole is not accurate, but once it is worn down, an cobbler could replace it with something more accurate.
They're decent. And that Christy sole will wear faster since it's softer, though sometimes there can be issues when resoling a wedge sole to a lug sole and vice versa.
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

I've noticed that some truly close-enough boots look great -- until you see the inner-ankle side of the boots and find out they have a dumb zipper.

Are people really so lazy that they can't deal with tying laces on an ankle-high boot??
BossThreads
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by BossThreads »

Snagged a pair of the Bostonians fairly cheap. Needed something to give my Aldens a break.
They do seem to run a little large. I got a 9 when I usually wear a 9.5 and they fit great.
However, check out the inconsistency with the moc toe stitching
The stitching on the left boot is 1/4" further in.
Last edited by BossThreads on Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

The J Crew Kenton Leather Pacer boots have a 40% sale that applies today 9/5/2022. They’re around $298.00 then the 40% comes off…
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

IndianaJustin wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:46 pm The J Crew Kenton Leather Pacer boots have a 40% sale that applies today 9/5/2022. They’re around $298.00 then the 40% comes off…
Just checked my country's J Crew Store, and the boots look really good. Then I saw the price... They are $410 here ](*,)
Ark101
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Ark101 »

Found these from Skechers, super comfy! Shape around the toe is a little wider than the more angular Indy boots but the overall stitching and design with more modern tread underneath will do perfect for my outfit and every day casual wear. For $72 with discount code not bad! :TOH:

Work Relaxed Fit: Vicksburk - Gentain WP
https://www.skechers.com/work-relaxed-f ... 67456.html
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

Saw the advertised on Facebook- looks good if you don’t mind suede.

https://bananarepublicfactory.gapfactor ... ge-content

bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

cm289 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:12 am Saw the advertised on Facebook- looks good if you don’t mind suede.

Very nice and amazing price... If you scroll down they have the model in normal leather too! Same price!
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

bearbeast wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:07 am
cm289 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:12 am Saw the advertised on Facebook- looks good if you don’t mind suede.

Very nice and amazing price... If you scroll down they have the model in normal leather too! Same price!
The non-suede model looks pretty good for a close-enough -- https://bananarepublicfactory.gapfactor ... ge-content
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

That’s funny- I totally missed the non-suede version!

Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

Funny that they actually describe it as an 'adventure-ready look'. Intentional, do you think? :)
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Thunderspy wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:29 pm Funny that they actually describe it as an 'adventure-ready look'. Intentional, do you think? :)
It's gotta be on purpose, right? :-k
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

At the top of this page it's mentioned there are boots from Next which is a uk store, but the link is broken. Check out these boots for 70 pounds...

https://www.next.co.uk/style/st086460/u ... .ds#u32955
Marcus Brody
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Marcus Brody »

Canyon wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:48 pm At the top of this page it's mentioned there are boots from Next which is a uk store, but the link is broken. Check out these boots for 70 pounds...

US residents will want to use this site since their registration process requires a UK address and phone number to sign up.
https://www.next.us/en/style/st086460/u32955#u32955

Everyone else will want to go through their international site.
https://www.nextdirect.com/CountrySelect

I can't believe this is my first post in nearly 14 years, just in time for Indy 5. :lol
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

Canyon wrote:At the top of this page it's mentioned there are boots from Next which is a uk store, but the link is broken. Check out these boots for 70 pounds...

Oh they’re not bad at all, thanks for the link.
MikeMac
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MikeMac »

Thunderspy wrote:
Canyon wrote:At the top of this page it's mentioned there are boots from Next which is a uk store, but the link is broken. Check out these boots for 70 pounds...

Oh they’re not bad at all, thanks for the link.
I wonder if these are can be resoled. Someone mentioned on a FB group that they had their Wested Boots resoled with good results. I’d go for a pair you can resole over boots you have to throw away when the treads are gone.

Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

It doesn't look like they can be resoled. That welt, if you could call it that, looks fake and appears to be a glued construction. It's not bad for the price, certainly good for cosplay and around town wear, but like sneakers you likely wouldn't get more than a year out of them with regular wear.
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

I know that winter is slowly fading away, but if need a nice pair of close enough Indy boots that will act as your winter boots then you guys may be interested in those:

https://uk.tommy.com/moccasin-toe-cleat ... fm04208gvi

I have them and they are great. They are comfy and hold your ankles well. The sole has good traction.
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Not sure if anybody has already posted a link to these Thomas & Vine Mitchell Boots, $120 at Designer Shoe Warehouse. Except for the rugged white traction sole, they look pretty good --

https://www.dsw.com/en/us/product/thoma ... :167250584
BossThreads
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by BossThreads »

This white sole trend is ruining so many decent boots
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

BossThreads wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:16 am This white sole trend is ruining so many decent boots
True. Kind of makes them look sneaker-ish. I wonder why manufacturers choose white instead of black soles.
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Those white wedge, I think they're called Christy-type souls, seem to be in. Evidently they're comfortable too, for working on concrete floors and such. The makers aren't going for an Indy-vibe in their design obviously.
Last edited by IndianaJustin on Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

The Vibram Christy soles have become the go-to for moc toe boots, and really you're seeing them all over the place on all kinds of boots now because they're easier on the feet out-of-the-box. They're also easier to deal with for glue on construction and with a wedge sole usually you don't need a shank. But with moc toes it's become like the aesthetic standard, and they do make black and brown ones but honestly with a wedge sole the ivory color looks best with brown leather. But they certainly do get dirty and Christy soles being blown rubber don't have nearly the longevity of vulcanized rubber lug soles.
MikeMac
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MikeMac »

Has anyone tried the Wolverine 1000 mile Moctoe?

https://www.wolverine.com/US/en/path-le ... oe&start=1

IndianaBravo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaBravo »

Hello there!
I found these on good ol Ali Express. They were about 95 dollars and ten-day shipping to Europe, and no import tax to pay, (whew!) Ther are solidly built, the leather gives off a nice smell.
It has "Welcome 1000" embossed near the top, but it's barely visible. These are obviously knock offs of the Wolverine 1000-mile boots. The stitching is impeccable and the Vibram sole looks solid.
It sez made in USA on the inside tongue but I'm gonna take it with a grain of salt. I have a picture here compared to a newly purchased Wested Indy Boot for comparison. They fit true to size and are comfy from the get-go. I also love the two-tone heel. You definitely get your money's worth.
Thwack! :whip:
Attachments
LOgan in.jpg
Comparison with Wested Indy boot (left)
Comparison with Wested Indy boot (left)
Logan2.jpg
Logan1.jpg
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Wow, they look great, awesome find, IndianaBravo! :TOH:
Ark101
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Ark101 »

What's the model name for Ali Express search? Or do you have the product page link?
Henning82
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by Henning82 »

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/10050027 ... pt=glo2deu

Thats the boot, I ordered. Havent got them now, but I´m pretty sure its not real leather. The look on the other hand is pretty promissing.
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Here's one that I have seen recently. If you can live with the lug sole, then this one might be your cup of tea!

https://www.johnstonmurphy.com/barrett- ... 12539.html
IndianaBravo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaBravo »

Henning82 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:14 pm https://de.aliexpress.com/item/10050027 ... pt=glo2deu

Thats the boot, I ordered. Havent got them now, but I´m pretty sure its not real leather. The look on the other hand is pretty promissing.
Hi, it is not the same boot but I can assure you it is real leather. The boot that you have linked to here was the one I was after originally, but sadly is now out of production.
I found these with a good review by a fellow American and pulled the trigger. The link:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EQ4oVqj
IndianaBravo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaBravo »

Ark101 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:59 pm What's the model name for Ali Express search? Or do you have the product page link?
Hi, this is the link:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EQ4oVqj
IndianaBravo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaBravo »

Charybdis wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:58 pm Here's one that I have seen recently. If you can live with the lug sole, then this one might be your cup of tea!

Those look awesome!
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

IndianaBravo wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:33 am
Charybdis wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:58 pm Here's one that I have seen recently. If you can live with the lug sole, then this one might be your cup of tea!

Those look awesome!
Agreed! I really like the heavy-duty soles on these! W>
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

Those Johnston Murphy boots are downright gorgeous!

-KB :)