Got a vintage H.J. sold new with a telescope crown

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Got a vintage H.J. sold new with a telescope crown

Post by 3thoubucks »

I've been claiming the Raiders hat once was a telescope crown, for about 18 years, because I observed concentric lines in movie stills. The 2018 auction displayed the hat with a telescope teardrop bash. Fans were outraged the hat had been altered, and the auctioneer protested that the hat had just assumed that bash on it's own. Reverted? The costume designer said the original hat was a "Paul Hogan" style hat. That would be Crocodile Dundee, a telescope crown. Was that where she got "Australian model"? .
I've been aware of a telescope H.J. for about 18 years also. A British clothing company "Puffa" started in 1974, sold a wide brim wool H.J. with a telescope crown. I have a picture of one with a 13 Old Burlington label which was where H.J. was from '71 to '85. I finally got one from England this week, don't know the vintage. Thought it would be the absolute definitive Raiders block. It had a little too much taper everywhere. 5 1/4 open crown. Lot of wear, so it could be shrinkage. Anyway, Google Images "Puffa Herbert Johnson" There's only 3. The blue one looks pretty fresh.
Last edited by 3thoubucks on Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Got a vintage H.J. sold new with a telescope crown

Post by IJJTM »

Could you share pictures?
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

You'll have to check Google Images. The one I got ebay pic is still there. It's light grey looking. Says it's a fox hunting hat for some reason.
H. J. Sells a telescope now.
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

I couldn’t find it. Could you paste a link maybe?
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

[https://images.app.goo.gl/f7xbgo3vdTTQrxyi9] The brim had some flange in the back only. It flips up at the base of the crown, like the picture at the 2018 auction house. Diamond shape satin badge inside top, gold letters Herbert Johnson 30 New Bond, with "PUFFA" logo. I don't know if it's rain tapered or not. Might buy another to try and find out.
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

O.K., I think maybe I've figured this out! When I pop up the top on my H.J. Puffa, the crown above the side transition point is a very round dome compared to flatter, squarer open crown Indys. WHY? Because the little dome inside the telescope is shaped to match the curve of the scull and rest on top of the scull, like a socket.
Going to make a block, taller, rounder domed. The legend of the 6 inch crown goes way back to Peters Bros. Then there was the first relaunched 6 inch H.J.s about 7 years ago, but the top was like the current H.J.'s, not a rounded dome. I bought a standard H.J. Raiders from maybe 2008, they came stock with a 6 inch crown, but the whole thing was tapered. Maybe 5 1/2, 5 3/4, will work for me.
Satisfied with my 2 home blocked HJs. I only hope to see a subtle, SA difference.
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

The Puffa doesn't seem to be the key.
I'm thinking maybe wardrobe put a teardrop bash in the Raiders hat. The costume designer said the crown was a little too high. A teardrop bash would be a simple way to lower it. Pretty sure a teardrop was as common as a center dent in 1936. Problem is, I detect flat top telescope lines. Maybe HJ hand formed it or used a 2 part block that easily transformed an open crown Poet.

Anyway, I took a 360 stovepipe block and mimicked the high dome of the popped up Puffa crown. Blocked 3 hats to varying heights. None of them looked right when bashed.
Thanks for joining me on my dumb adventure!