My very first Crusade jacket!

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

My very first Crusade jacket!

Post by indy89 »

I ordered a OTR Crusade jacket in predistressed hide from Wested on December 9th and received it on the evening of January 11th. I went with my proper size of 42 and it feels great! Slightly tighter in the chest when zipped up than my OTR Raiders, but that isn't a big deal. My initial thought when I took the jacket out of the bag was that the predistressed hide looks like potato skin, but after a Pecards treatment, it looks better. I think it's a pretty cool jacket, and I enjoyed wearing it at work today! What do you all think? :TOH:
Attachments
20230112_131050.jpg
20230112_131018.jpg
20230112_130955.jpg
20230112_130915.jpg
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: My very first Crusade jacket!

Post by Illinois_Jones »

The Wested LC tends to feel tighter in the chest because they shift the arm holes forward and narrow the front panels slightly while widening the back. If you measure it against your Raiders it will probably be an inch or so smaller in the front. It's a strange design feature of Wested, especially considering the LC jacket is often thought of as boxier and Wested likes to describe it as roomier. It also tends to make the back panel billow more near the shoulders because that's where they put the chest space.
Mikeynts
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Mikeynts »

Looking good. Good sizing as well! Not to long just over the belt area :tup:

I’m still enjoying my Standard Raiders from Wested (with some custom sizing and attributes )

They make a good jacket!! \:D/

Can you show a close up of the leather? I’m curious….
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Very nice jacket, and seems like a great fit. I do like the colour too!

The Wested jackets are ALWAYS tight on the chest. I have four and all make me slouch a bit due to this. ](*,)

Cheers,
Bear
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Looks good. I like the Wested OTR Crusade/Skull jacket, it's a good jacket in it's own right regardless of the IJ connection. I used to have one in 42 Lambskin and I regret selling it. It was just a good jacket to wear out.
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

Thank you all for the kind words!
Mikeynts wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:34 am Looking good. Good sizing as well! Not to long just over the belt area :tup:

I’m still enjoying my Standard Raiders from Wested (with some custom sizing and attributes )

Hopefully these photos are clear enough to see the detail of the predistressed hide.
Attachments
20230113_145336.jpg
20230113_145229.jpg
Mikeynts
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Mikeynts »

indy89 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:55 pm Thank you all for the kind words!
Mikeynts wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:34 am Looking good. Good sizing as well! Not to long just over the belt area :tup:

Hopefully these photos are clear enough to see the detail of the predistressed hide.
Looks great! shows it really well.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

What animal is pre-distressed hide?
Mikeynts
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Mikeynts »

Kokopelli wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:36 pm What animal is pre-distressed hide?
at Wested it is Cow Hide
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

I took some better photos while on my lunch break. Same breakroom, same poses, better lighting. Image
This jacket is really great! I couldn't be happier with the leather and the fit! It's breaking in beautifully after three days of constant wear.
ImageImageImage
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

The leather looks very cool, I love it in the close-ups. :TOH:
Mikeynts
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Mikeynts »

indy89 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:14 pm I took some better photos while on my lunch break. Same breakroom, same poses, better lighting. Image
This jacket is really great! I couldn't be happier with the leather and the fit! It's breaking in beautifully after three days of constant wear.
Sure looks good! :whip:

And in time it will become more and more broken in to your body… After 1 month of wearing my standard raiders in goatskin in the rainy weather,different temperatures, rolling it up in the car,…. it really starts looking better and “fitted”
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

Mikeynts wrote:
indy89 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:14 pm I took some better photos while on my lunch break. Same breakroom, same poses, better lighting. Image
After 1 month of wearing my standard raiders in goatskin in the rainy weather,different temperatures, rolling it up in the car,…. it really starts looking better and “fitted”
I own one as well and I favor it over my Raiders Hero in goatskin. The Raiders standard is simply a great fit! My Hero is strictly reserved for full-gear use. Here's a picture of my Raiders standard in goatskin. I've had it since 2018.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Mikeynts
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Mikeynts »

aha, there you go.
Just one of those things that only gets better with time. \:D/
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

indy89 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:19 pm
Mikeynts wrote:
After 1 month of wearing my standard raiders in goatskin in the rainy weather,different temperatures, rolling it up in the car,…. it really starts looking better and “fitted”
I own one as well and I favor it over my Raiders Hero in goatskin. The Raiders standard is simply a great fit! My Hero is strictly reserved for full-gear use. Here's a picture of my Raiders standard in goatskin. I've had it since 2018.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

That suits you very well. Likewise your hat- that sits really well on you! Which maker is that from?
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

Thunderspy, thanks for the kind words! My hat is a Adventurebilt that I've owned since 2007. John Penman reblocked this past October.
Heyjude7
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Heyjude7 »

indy89 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:53 pm I ordered a OTR Crusade jacket in predistressed hide from Wested on December 9th and received it on the evening of January 11th. I went with my proper size of 42 and it feels great! Slightly tighter in the chest when zipped up than my OTR Raiders, but that isn't a big deal. My initial thought when I took the jacket out of the bag was that the predistressed hide looks like potato skin, but after a Pecards treatment, it looks better. I think it's a pretty cool jacket, and I enjoyed wearing it at work today! What do you all think? :TOH:
Love that jacket !!!
If you don’t mind me asking what are the measurements of the jacket ? Are they real life measurements the same as what’s posted on Wested’s site ?
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

Heyjude7 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:03 pm
indy89 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:53 pm I ordered a OTR Crusade jacket in predistressed hide from Wested on December 9th and received it on the evening of January 11th. I went with my proper size of 42 and it feels great! Slightly tighter in the chest when zipped up than my OTR Raiders, but that isn't a big deal. My initial thought when I took the jacket out of the bag was that the predistressed hide looks like potato skin, but after a Pecards treatment, it looks better. I think it's a pretty cool jacket, and I enjoyed wearing it at work today! What do you all think? :TOH:
Love that jacket !!!
If you don’t mind me asking what are the measurements of the jacket ? Are they real life measurements the same as what’s posted on Wested’s site ?
Heyjude7, I apologize for the late reply. I just measured my jacket and the back measurement matches the Wested size chart at 27 1/4. However, with the jacket zipped up and laid out flat, the pit to pit measures 21 1/8 instead of 23 1/2, and the sleeves measured 23 1/4 and not 24 1/2. Again, this jacket is the off-the-rack 'Crusade/Skull' model and not a custom jacket, so perhaps I'm not measuring properly. I hope this helps.