MK VII vs. The Elements

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

adamallstar
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

MK VII vs. The Elements

Post by adamallstar »

Hello, I’m new to the forums (first post!)

I recently picked up an Mk VII and I love the style of the bag, and I think it would make a great companion for outdoor excursions. As it was pouring down rain today in Houston, I was wondering if waterproofing the Mk VII would help keep my stuff inside dry and maybe help guard against stains.

I did some research and it appears that Nikwax is predominant product in the wash & waterproof treatment product line. There seem to be some positive reviews around the web as well as the one of their wash-in treatments winning the editor's choice award in Backpacker Magazine.

I just wanted to see if anyone has attempted doing this to their bag and if so, have you had any luck with a waterproofing treatment, if so what type did you use?
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

Hey adamallstar, let me welcome you to the forum!

As to treating the bag, personally I prefer to let nature take its course and let the MKVII 'age with the elements'. :wink:

I guess scotchguard might be another alternative, but I leave it to others to advise in this area.

Anyway, welcome once again! :D
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

Hi there!!

I have never tried waterproofing any of my gear to be honest and I guess its something I should really look into doing in my part of the world. Take care when applying anything to your gear - you are doing the right thing checking on here before doing it. I hope you find your answer.

Will be curious to see what results you get if you go ahead with it.

All the best!

Ken
IndianaJames
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaJames »

Welcome!! Waterproofing the MK VII.... good idea! Maybe even some Scotch Guard would work!

Cheers
I J
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

I treated one of my bags with water repellant aerosol spray for use on canvas, and then did the same to my Converse All Stars. It is also a stain-repellant and it has worked very nice in the rainy Swedish summer. I did it not so much for protecting the 'made for war' bag, but rather what I carry inside. :wink: The bags were originally treated with water proofing stuff and I figured my every day bag wouldn't mind having a bit of refill of the more modern kind. Rain and water will not soak through now, but rather form drops on the canvas instead. I can't remember what brand I used, but I bet you can find an equally nice product in any shoe store. Of course, there is always the issue of altering these bags or not as they are antique collectibles. I use my mint one every day and figure I will do so for the rest of my life, so why not make it the best lasting bag possbile? :)

P.S You can't even tell it's there when handling or looking and the bag. D.S

Regards,
Swindiana
adamallstar
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by adamallstar »

Ob, ken, james & swin, thank you for the welcome!

I’ve been considering just waterproofing the bag that I’m going to use personally to keep it looking sharp and keep the others untouched for ‘antique collectable’ purposes. It is kinda funny that a bag that was intended for rugged wartime use is held in such high regard 62 years later :D

I will try to get some pics up soon.

Cheers,
-adam