Nowak Jacket Owners Thread

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Nowak Jacket Owners Thread

Post by CRB »

Nah, mine's got nothing. But I bought it off a member here so he may have requested it not to be on originally ?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

That's very possible.

A lot of us, though appreciative of the extra effort and built COA, really didn't care for all that embroidery in the lining. If you planned on wearing it, it interfered with the lining as it made it a stiff panel on the front.

Not everyone had this problem, but I know I sure did. :-k

Regards! M
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

I didn't know the numbers were sequential. I thought customers could pick their own number. Maybe I'm mistaken.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

You're absolutely right, eventually they weren't sequential. He said you could pick any number up to 777 after the first run.

Tony told me he discovered doing it sequentially just wasn't working, since he wanted to reserve 522 for himself (it was the release date of CS). When he pulled that date out of the sequence, everything else went out the window......so folks picked and chose.

Those in the low hundreds were supposedly 'sequential', but only Tony knew for sure.

There was a LOT of information he never shared with us. If we got TOO close, he'd laugh and say 'Bernie (Pollack) wouldn't want me to discuss that right now....' 8)

That answer NEVER made a lot of sense when it was specifically about his own jacket runs. :-k

Regards! M
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

If you go all the way back to the first page of this thread there are a few pictures of the embroidery. It was huge.

CRB, it's possible the original owner of your jacket either requested to not have the embroidery done or subsequently had the jacket relined.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Mine has the giant embroidery. Several customers did request to have the embroidery either in black so it blended into the lining better, or on the lining of the inner pocket. I never liked the embroidery much as it distracts from the original design of the jacket, but grew to like it as a funny quirk of Tony's. Nice reminder of the man himself since he is gone.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Here's knibs lining he posted in this thread, that will give folks an idea what was inside.

It pretty much occupied the whole left hand inside panel. The leather line at the top of the photo is the top of the inside pocket.

I asked mine be done in black, and just the number down inside the inside pocket.

Regards! M
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

How come Tony would tell people not to send their jacket to the cleaners?
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

As I recall, he always said to do nothing to the jackets. Don't apply conditioner/lotion, don't have them cleaned, just "Wear the @(#*& out of it." This was for brand new jackets that members would ask about what conditioner to apply. His response was the leather was perfect as is and didn't need anything added.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

It's true, you shouldn't need to anything to new leather for a number of years.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

xmasters wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:55 am It's true, you shouldn't need to anything to new leather for a number of years.
But considering his jackets are 10+ years now, what would you recommend using?
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Agreed that after 10 years some conditioner and/or a cleaning is not out of the question.

Pecards is well regarded around these parts, but members have used a variety of products. Check the Care section of the forum, there are threads with many suggestions.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

With all the hype of Indy V around (and the jacket of course) I dug out my older Indy IV TNO jacket recently and have been wearing it non-stop. It's just perfect. Now that Tony is gone I don't think the TNO jackets get enough credit or light of day unfortunately. Mine's taken on a slight marbling effect through wear, and crinkle marks, all natural distressing and it looks just fabulous.

Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I love how mine has aged with normal use. Like Tony said "wear the #### out of it."
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

The USWINGS jackets made out of the same hide wear exactly the same.

Regards! Michaelson
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Michaelson wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:50 am The USWINGS jackets made out of the same hide wear exactly the same.
Yeah, I think my 89 Fan Club jacket is just about tan at this point. Haven't had it out in a while.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Michaelson wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:50 am The USWINGS jackets made out of the same hide wear exactly the same.

Regards! Michaelson
How do you differentiate the ones to use the CS hide or not?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I’ve been told there is a code on the tags that differentiate between models and runs. I haven’t been successful at figuring them out.

I know I got mine in 2008 right after David Hack jumped on the leftover run and me getting emails from Tony Nowak wringing his hands because he hadn’t bought the whole run and David Hack getting to it first. Tony honestly had no idea there would be a run on his jackets after the film came out, even though we warned him. David Hack DID know his market and what was coming. So, one confirmed the other. :lol:

I had heard years ago the vast majority of that USWINGS run was purchased by Disney for management use and distribution. Some may have made it to the stunt show.

Anyway, my Wings from that original run looks like the Nowak pictured above after all these years.

Regards! M
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

Yes I have to admit the US Wings are one of the best value for money jackets out there. But they never got their patterns quite right, sleeves too short especially. I've had three and had to sell them all due to the sleeve length. But if they fit you, you've found a winner.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I really wish the Legend pattern was still used. Fit me like tailed made.

That aside, and this being a Nowak thread, moving right along…… ;)

Regards! M
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

This just reminds me that I really NEED a Nowak Scull jacket. I beat myself up everytime I see one. Tony used to call me on the phone and left messages on my answering machine. I usually was a sleep the time he called. Man.. I can hear his Arnold like voice now in my head.. ''Wake aaap Eric taime to talk Jackets!'' :lol: Loved that dude!
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

That’s super cool! I wish they posted size dimensions. Not that I have the cash, but if it fit me I would 100% follow Tony’s advice and “wear the **** out of it!”

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Heck, check the hat! I have a virtually brand new one that Steve made me from AB deluxe material in my closet! Who knew they would be asking that kind of green all these years later?

https://propstoreauction.com/lot-detail ... ent_page=0

Regards! Michaelson
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Michaelson wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:43 pm Heck, check the hat! I have a virtually brand new one that Steve made me from AB deluxe material in my closet! Who knew they would be asking that kind of green all these years later?

https://propstoreauction.com/lot-detail ... ent_page=0

Regards! Michaelson
True, but the price hike is due to it being Bernie’s. I still think a new AB would be worth a pretty penny though.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Could be. Lots of folks pay heavily for provenance.

Then again, like the Nowak jacket, there were only so many AB’s made DURING production, so those can carry a higher premium than after film creations.

Regards! M
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Is it weird that I think it’s particularly cool they have the original shipping box? :CR:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Truth be known, Bernie probably never ever opened the box. :lol:

Regards! M
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

That is very likely. It was just another piece of wardrobe to him.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yep! One for the archives. ;)

Regards! M
Bruce Wayne
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Bruce Wayne »

FB_IMG_1677840994703.jpg
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Indiana Jeff wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:39 pm As I recall, he always said to do nothing to the jackets. Don't apply conditioner/lotion, don't have them cleaned, just "Wear the @(#*& out of it." This was for brand new jackets that members would ask about what conditioner to apply. His response was the leather was perfect as is and didn't need anything added.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
To be fair, he also said that he would personally "GUARANTEE THESE JACKETS FOR LIFE!"

I always assumed he knew they'd wear down eventually, but was happy to repair them and thus keep a loyal customer base.
Stefan Hills
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Stefan Hills »

Thought I would share my Nowak. When I had this jacket made the wish was that someday Harrison Ford would sign it…and so preparation met opportunity.
Attachments
AF1B432C-BED4-4873-BAA2-2364DD90F99F.jpeg
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

That’s really nice! I don’t think I have seen any unnumbered. Also, how did opportunity present itself?
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

That's all kinds of awesome! Nice full signature too!
OldGringo
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by OldGringo »

I did own both ......I would have to say....I liked the Wested Novapelle better....sold my Nowak many years ago to somehere......
indymassilia
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indymassilia »

My TN Crusade is number #6/333,if it can helps..!
Attachments
DSCN7265 - Copie.JPG
DSCN7262.JPG