Professor of Archaeology

Wested Destiny Jacket

Post by Kokopelli »

Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Wested Destiny Jacket

Post by Hollowpond »

Personally I would not want a jacket with a simulated bullet hole in it, but if I did I would want it to be an actual hole. This looks like they just bunched up the jacket sleeve and put a stitch in it...
screen used

Wested

Can't help but laugh though. You can tell Wested is used to dealing with gear heads..I count 13 stitches on both! :lol:
Prodigal Son
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Prodigal Son »

I wonder what the leather is. I didn't see any pictures of the back.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

It says brown lambskin.

I also thought it was interesting it said, "Note: The jacket does not come distressed but has the perfect undertone so once you have it distressed will look just perfect." I guess the one pictured has been distressed some? :-k
Last edited by Hollowpond on Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Im soooo getting this!! 8)
Photoss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Photoss »

Hmm, gusset or no gusset. Does the screen used one not have gussets?
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

If memory serves me correctly (and honestly it's about a 50/50 shot these days... :lol: ) the OG Raiders jacket did not have gussets. And since this one is based off of the Raiders jacket, I would assume not.

For my dime anthing that is largely unseen and serves a functional purpose is an acceptable upgrade though. :TOH:
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

The Ribby lamb looks very nice. To be honest I'd like to order a Raiders hero in that leather.
Ark101
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Ark101 »

Jacket looks so beautiful! I'll definitely be ordering mine soon in the new year. Interesting they have 6-8 week production time. Going to start saving now!
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Saw this as well, on the fence as to getting Wested or see what S&J comes up, only hope when they
do the price is similar for those order first (hint, hint) :CR:

But there is an interest, not sure as well on the bullet hole, rather have seen them put an actual hole then stich it.
Could always take it for target practice, then off to the seamstress in town who works with leather.

Will ponder. :-k

Croft :mrgreen:
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

I think that looks very handsome.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Well it confirms that Wested is *not* the maker of the film's jackets. I really don't blame them, or LFL's costume dept, for not putting a real hole in the sleeve. There's too much margin for error and once you tear it there's a good chance that tear continues with normal wear; even the faux repair is likely to snag on things.

But it looks good, and certainly closer to the film jacket on the first try than Wested's other attempts. To me that almost confirms that the film jacket really is a "regular" jacket in pattern and quite possibly a direct knockoff of a standard Wested by the costume dept. with a few tweaks like the collar. And I give them credit sourcing a special leather for it.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Well to be fair, it looks like the film makers copied from one of Westeds 'off the rack' Standard Raiders jackets in the first place, as it's got the 'street wise' details of leather facings, D-rings, aligned arm seams (when they should be misaligned). The movie jacket does extend the zip all the way to the bottom which is SA of course for Raiders, and with the bullet hole in the arm it tells us the film makers were trying to copy the jacket from Raiders.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

xmasters wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:25 pm Well to be fair, it looks like the film makers copied from one of Westeds 'off the rack' Standard Raiders jackets in the first place, as it's got the 'street wise' details of leather facings, D-rings, aligned arm seams (when they should be misaligned). The movie jacket does extend the zip all the way to the bottom which is SA of course for Raiders, and with the bullet hole in the arm it tells us the film makers were trying to copy the jacket from Raiders.
Yeah, exactly. Me and several others here have been saying since the first set photos 18 months ago that jacket looked like a direct copy of a Wested with some adjustments. And of course the well known rumor that Wested shipped some jackets to Pinewood two years ago or whatever. It got some people thinking Wested made the actual jackets, but I had always heard, and seen from experience, that Disney does this stuff in-house. But I am convinced the costume department got some Westeds and copied them, maybe swapped collars and pocket flaps (those look to be from a CS jacket), took the facings out and ran the zipper to the hem (it does look better), and then reversed the straps for some reason (distinctiveness?). And I could see that being why Wested was able to nail the repro to easily; I remember them taking months if not years to come up with designs and putting them on the market. This Destiny jacket is more like a Mr. Potato Head of existing jackets.

Honestly if it weren't for those straps and available in a skin I liked, I'd be all over this jacket. Or, more correctly, the jacket would be all over me.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

I think I like the Wested leather more than the film version.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Having owned way to many jackets and worked with wested since 2007, in the good old days with Peter Botwright. I can tell that they used the good old red/purple Tex-40 sewing thread on their Destiny replica whilst the screen ued one has a brown thicker more sturdy sewing thread. I would imagie that if they did make the film jakcets they would have used thier standard Tex-40 thread. Meaning, they did not make the film jacket based on the sewing thread theory. I dont know, just throwing it out there. :TOH:

Last edited by Holt on Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Sewing some doubt in there are you. :CR:

Croft :mrgreen:

Sorry I couldn’t help myself.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Yeah, Wested didn't make the jackets. They even pretty much say so in the write up of their replica.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

One thing I can't tell from Westeds pictures of their jacket is if the top of the storm flap is squared off instead of rounded off, because I noticed from a particular close up of Ford on set location of him wearing the jacket that it was squared off, like the Hawaii Raiders jacket, I made a note of it and annotated the picture. It's the sort of detail that might be a deal breaker for me.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

So… can anyone verify if this is the LC/CS pattern?
Jonathan Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Jonathan Jones »

Kokopelli wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:08 am So… can anyone verify if this is the LC/CS pattern?
It's supposed to be the same jacket from Raiders - Disney said they copied a Raiders jacket from the Lucas Archives "stitch for stitch"- so assuming Wested knows that, it should be a Raiders pattern.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

Jonathan Jones wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:30 am
Kokopelli wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:08 am So… can anyone verify if this is the LC/CS pattern?
It's supposed to be the same jacket from Raiders - Disney said they copied a Raiders jacket from the Lucas Archives "stitch for stitch"- so assuming Wested knows that, it should be a Raiders pattern.
Splendid! If that's the case I'll be getting this one...maybe in cow leather. The 'standard' off the shelf Raiders pattern fits me better than the LC/CS pattern- which has the arms 'rotated forward' on the body, for lack of a better term, even though LC is my favorite and all my gear is LC. :CR:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Having compared everything side by side with the original jacket I can tell its not the same pattern. Dont get me wrong, it's very nice jacket indeed and I will get one eventually but Im not stressing. I look forward seeing vendogrs like S&J and Magnoli do their take on it. :TOH:
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

Holt are you saying it’s not the Raiders pattern?
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Let me refrase, Im sure its a 'raiders' pattern but the details are not quite there. Round stormflap, Rounded pocket flaps (not square, Hawaii like) BUT I do like it alot. Im getting one! But I also do look forward to Mags and S&J.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

ah..ok, gotcha...
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

How thin is this leather? Is it just standard lambskin?
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

I don't know how thin it actually is, but I know it's been prepared/tanned especially by Wested for their Destiny jacket. It does have striations like the original Raiders jacket did, I've seen other pictures that aren't on the site. I would quite like to order (prefer) to order their Hero Raiders jacket with this skin.
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

xmasters wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:30 am I don't know how thin it actually is, but I know it's been prepared/tanned especially by Wested for their Destiny jacket. It does have striations like the original Raiders jacket did, I've seen other pictures that aren't on the site. I would quite like to order (prefer) to order their Hero Raiders jacket with this skin.
Same
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I like the destiny leather but to me the original jacket looks like a cowhide jacket. Looks semi stiff. At least from all the promoshots we have seen when Ford wears it. Its like the LC jacket, looks like cowhide but is lambskin.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Holt wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:46 am I like the destiny leather but to me the original jacket looks like a cowhide jacket. Looks semi stiff. At least from all the promoshots we have seen when Ford wears it. Its like the LC jacket, looks like cowhide but is lambskin.
Interesting. The photos had me thinking it's the most 'lamb looking' jacket of all of them, especially the scuffs and wear. It also looks to be extremely light.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

It's started shipping to those who'd ordered and the first pics have started being posted on FB. I have to admit the leather doesn't look like the pictures on the Wested site and whats been posted here. It looks very light brown, predistressed, and similar in texture to that old 'dino hide' leather that wested did many years back.
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

Oh yes, the one I can see has very pronounced grain. Not sure it's a great match for DoD; I don't dislike it though, and the cut looks good. Quite nice for an out-the-box distress.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Yes the pattern looks fairly good.

I was expecting a leather that needed distressing as that's what the pictures show. Manual distressing.
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

Yeah it says on the order page that it doesn't come distressed, so that's odd. Maybe that person specified different leather?
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

I've seen a couple more pics on FB now (they're not my pics to share and are posted in a private group so I don't want to post them here without permission); I definitely know what you mean about the 'dino-hide' look, with the almost reptillian-looking scales on it(!) but I do think it looks really nice. If I were in the market for another Indy jacket I think I might have gone for one of them, it looks great quality.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

The picture at the top of this thread, second down, shows a darker leather with more subtle texture. Definitely not the same as the brown dino hides I've seen being sent out so far. Almost as if they changed their mind on the leather at the last minute.
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

Well you know what lighting can do, but the film one does seem orange/browner than previous Indy jackets. I couldn’t say if it’s a great screen match or not, but I do just like the look of it as a jacket.
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

This jacket has been in a few collector's hands recently on social media and I think it looks fantastic. I honestly wasn't planning on getting one, but I might just bite the bullet. This way, I can also pick up a LC web belt finally without having to pay ridiculous shipping costs for such a cheap thing.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Just got mine delivered

https://imgur.com/gallery/GWlGS4p
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

Nice! Yours doesn't look as striated as the others I've seen, how is the texture? It's a nice fit.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

The fit is perfect! Like a glove!
tubasthebest
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by tubasthebest »

Great picture! I’m loving the color of the leather on this one.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

That looks fantastic!! How did you order your sizing? It fits perfect.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Mine arrived today as well. Really pleased with it overall. Some quick photos here. Will post more in full gear later…

https://imgur.com/a/1YMjdXg
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

I need to stop looking at the pics of this one, I'm getting too tempted :D
I like the tonal variation through it, and the texture makes it look less 'printed' than their previous distressed leather. A bit of creasing up and it'll look great.

Out of interest, what is the 'gussets' option on the Wested page? I thought all Indy jackets had gussets?
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

Chose Poorly wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:27 pm Mine arrived today as well. Really pleased with it overall. Some quick photos here. Will post more in full gear later…

https://imgur.com/a/1YMjdXg
Looks great! How did you size it if I may ask. I am a 42" chest and usually buy size 42 from Wested (Raiders Hero, Legacy LC), but the reference size chart tends to suggest a size down on this one to a 40 based on the chest measurement, as a 24" chest for a size 42 is too large and roomy in my opinion. JonesboysUK on IG also sized down he told me. I will go with approximately a 24.5" back and 24.5" sleeves.
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

Thunderspy wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:11 am I need to stop looking at the pics of this one, I'm getting too tempted :D
I like the tonal variation through it, and the texture makes it look less 'printed' than their previous distressed leather. A bit of creasing up and it'll look great.

Out of interest, what is the 'gussets' option on the Wested page? I thought all Indy jackets had gussets?
I was also curious as to what exactly they mean by "gussets" since the jacket already naturally has them, unless they mean underarm gussets....
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

The gusset option is the underarm portion
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

knibs7 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:56 am The gusset option is the underarm portion
Thanks for confirming.