Leather care ( generic )

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

joeyofarimathea
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Leather care ( generic )

Post by joeyofarimathea »

Hello and Merry Christmas to all the Raider-ers here....

Quick question about leather care.....

What is recommended as the best all around leather care product? By All around I mean maybe something to preserve, condition and help with weather resistance? And something for the jacket and whip and belt and boots etc?
Plus this product would also hopefully not alter the color or shade of leather ( if that's possible?) Would it be Pecards or Leather Honey or some other classic product or perhaps it's a new product? Any help is greatly appreciated thank you.

Regards, joey
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: Leather care ( generic )

Post by Michaelson »

I’ve been known for decades to promote the use of Pecards leather care products, in particular the leather ‘lotion’ which is a thinner version of the standard dressing.

I’m also a user of USWings leather care products.

I use both in all my leather gear and have for literally years.

Regards! Michaelson
joeyofarimathea
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by joeyofarimathea »

Okay thanks Mr. Michelson for the feedback. Maybe a few other members can throw in there opinions as well. Also has anyone here used Leather Honey ? If so , any thoughts would be appreciated.

And as for the Pecards this the one you recommend.....

PECARD Leather Lotion, 4 oz https://a.co/d/g0gd15Z
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Myself I have been using Pecard's Antique Leather Dressing for all my leather items. Shoes, whips, belts, jackets. :TOH:

It's effective and I also like the smell.

Cheers,
Bear
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

I use pecards on whips, haven't had to condition jackets yet and for boots...might it depend on the leather? Chromexcel on the 403s takes something different than the calfskin 405s and so on. It might not really matter perhaps but I think it does, with all respect to other opinions. :TOH:
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

I think you're right, IndianaJustin, some leather types might need a dedicated type of conditioner.

I had heard that Pecard's can't really hurt, so it's a safe option if you have nothing else at hand. :-k
makeitjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by makeitjones »

I've been trying out Fiebings 4 way care and jackets, boots, holsters etc. Pretty good all rounder and reasonably priced. Will darken very light coloured leathers by a shade but then most treatments will.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

joeyofarimathea wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:25 am And as for the Pecards this the one you recommend.....

PECARD Leather Lotion, 4 oz https://a.co/d/g0gd15Z
You’re quite welcome! :M: :tup:

As you’ve probably discovered, their descriptions are fairly confusing. Yes, that’s one I’ve used that compares nicely with Lexol leather conditioner, but they also sell/sold another jell they called a leather lotion that was essentially the same as standard leather conditioner, but with less beeswax so it soaked in faster. I’m not sure if it’s still offered as I’m having trouble finding it in a recent search.

As I said, I’ve had great success with the USWings leather conditioner too. I just applied it to two if my jackets this evening in preparation for the extreme weather we have headed in our direction this week.

https://www.uswings.com/product/us-wing ... -dressing/

Regards! M