Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

mountainmuley
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Wested sleeve length?

Post by mountainmuley »

Hello there,

This is my first post here in the club, so greetings to everybody. Been looking over the forum for a few days and it's been real fun looking at everything.

I am looking to get my first Indy style jacket. Planning on going with a Wested in the standard Raiders style in goatskin. I'm about 6'1, 185 lbs, chest is about 38", waist is about 36". After doing my measurements as best I can I'm leaning towards a 40" jacket , I am just a little hung up on the sleeves. I've measured some other jackets that have a good sleeve length for me and it seems like something in the 25.5-26 inch range seems to fit me best. However the sleeve measurements for the OTR size 40" is 24.5 inches. I have heard some people say that the Indy jackets have a unique shoulder cut that results in a shorter sleeve length while still getting a good fit, but there is so much information regarding these jackets that it can get confusing which info applies to which jackets and such. My concern is just that the sleeves on the OTR Raiders will end up being a bit too short, especially after some possible shrinking.

My questions are for other folks on here with similar dimensions as me, (and everyone on here in general), what has been your experience with sleeve length with these jackets?
Would it be worth the extra money to go custom and add an inch or so to the sleeves? I wish I had the cash to go through several jackets really perfecting them but that isn't really an option for me, especially with how expensive it can be returning Wested jackets from across the pond here.

I apologize if my question seems confusing. Thanks for all the good info on jackets so far though. Any help is very much appreciated. :TOH:
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Wested sleeve length?

Post by xmasters »

For the style your ordering Standard fit Raiders) their description of 24.5 " is about right for an average accurate just below the wrist length. Some peple have longer arms or prefer longer slevves 25-26". In my experience it's very hard to go wrong with 25" sleeves if you're ordering your correct chest size. This is something you really have to figure out for yourself though. If you have longer than average arms consider going custom.
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

I'm 7" shorter than you and ordered 23.5" in sleeve length and it's perfect.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

mountainmuley wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:12 pm Hello there,

This is my first post here in the club, so greetings to everybody. Been looking over the forum for a few days and it's been real fun looking at everything.

I am looking to get my first Indy style jacket. Planning on going with a Wested in the standard Raiders style in goatskin. I'm about 6'1, 185 lbs, chest is about 38", waist is about 36". After doing my measurements as best I can I'm leaning towards a 40" jacket , I am just a little hung up on the sleeves. I've measured some other jackets that have a good sleeve length for me and it seems like something in the 25.5-26 inch range seems to fit me best. However the sleeve measurements for the OTR size 40" is 24.5 inches. I have heard some people say that the Indy jackets have a unique shoulder cut that results in a shorter sleeve length while still getting a good fit, but there is so much information regarding these jackets that it can get confusing which info applies to which jackets and such. My concern is just that the sleeves on the OTR Raiders will end up being a bit too short, especially after some possible shrinking.

My questions are for other folks on here with similar dimensions as me, (and everyone on here in general), what has been your experience with sleeve length with these jackets?
Would it be worth the extra money to go custom and add an inch or so to the sleeves? I wish I had the cash to go through several jackets really perfecting them but that isn't really an option for me, especially with how expensive it can be returning Wested jackets from across the pond here.

I apologize if my question seems confusing. Thanks for all the good info on jackets so far though. Any help is very much appreciated. :TOH:
I'm roughly your size (6'2 187 lbs) but wear a 42 in Wested. I have long arms but the standard sleeve size is fine, even if they are short (I ususally wear 26 inch sleeves). The reason they work in Westeds, I think, is that the shoulder width of Indy jackets is very wide and provides the extra length. Eg - I generally wear 19 inch shoulders in leather jackets, a Wested Raiders jacket shoulders would be around 3 inches wider than this.
Mikeynts
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Mikeynts »

Hello,

Also new(in posting). But getting my gear together....
Ordered the Wested jacket in november 2022. It took two weeks from order to receiving.

I'm 5,11 ("179cm") tall. But have longer arms and relative longer body(shorter legs) hahahahaha :shock: .

The sleeve cut of the Wested standard raiders sits higher then the legacy jacket(The legacy has a broader/longer shoulder cut, which compensates for the shorter sleeves on the legacy jacket)...

So I ordered the 25,5 inch length. And the sleeves sit just over the wrist.
I based the chest size on an older jacket with a Pit to Pit at 22inch which makes for a tighter jacket as I want to use it also as a regular jacket. So I ordered the 38"" jacket.

I also ordered the goatskin. I'm very pleased with it.

This was my order and a picture wearing it(so you can see the sleeve length)

I hope this helps...
Last edited by Mikeynts on Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

That looks cool. Great fit.
Mikeynts
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Mikeynts »

xmasters wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:31 am That looks cool. Great fit.
Thanks!!! :notworthy: