Herbert Johnson Duty and Tax

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

jgino
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Herbert Johnson Duty and Tax

Post by jgino »

Question for those in the USA. Where you charged a duty and tax before receiving your order from Herbert Johnson? Thanks.
tubasthebest
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Herbert Johnson Duty and Tax

Post by tubasthebest »

I was not. Just the initial charge when the order was placed.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

No. Under $800 there is no import duty. But they, as well as BK, are now pushing dangerously close to that threshold.
steve_guthrie
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by steve_guthrie »

Illinois_Jones wrote:No. Under $800 there is no import duty. But they, as well as BK, are now pushing dangerously close to that threshold.
Thank you for this info. I’ve bought 4 hats this year from outside the US and I’ve been wondering if I was going to start receiving bills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

steve_guthrie wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:59 am
Illinois_Jones wrote:No. Under $800 there is no import duty. But they, as well as BK, are now pushing dangerously close to that threshold.
Thank you for this info. I’ve bought 4 hats this year from outside the US and I’ve been wondering if I was going to start receiving bills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, it's basically no different than going thru customs at the airport and declaring your souvenirs and such. Certain places in the Caribbean and South America the threshold is $1,600, but for most of the rest of the world it's $800. It's not so bad these days with the strong USD, but back in the 2000s when the US dollar was being clobbered by the Euro, GBP, and Aussie dollar that limit got filled quickly.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Wow, you guys are lucky, then! In Romania we pay taxes for anything above $50 or $100... Everything I get from outside the EU, I pay 20% VAT + import fees (which can vary from 4-5% upwards)... :cry:

Just got two Akubras last week... For $360 I payed $100 in taxes.

Cheers,
Bear