My close enough pocket knife

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

My close enough pocket knife

Post by bearbeast »

The last few months I have been looking to get an Raiders pocket knife, but could not really find one that I liked enough.

Hubertus and Linder were out of stock everywhere and the Boker Stag Enigma had a 440C steel blade, which I did not like. It was also around €200 and I wouldn't pay such a sum for something I did not like.

But I looked around some more and found the Boker Hunter Mono, with a better tool steel blade. It also looked quite nice to my eye so I got it.

When I received it I was blown away, it was even better in person. Very nicely made, great finish. The blade is very thick and it has a nice flat grind and it locks really well into place.

It's a great knife for almost cutting Marion free! :rolling:

Image Image

Image Image

Cheers,
Bear
donovan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: My close enough pocket knife

Post by donovan »

Great looking knife -very raiders . Unfortunately for me living in the UK not something I can carry in public.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

donovan wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:28 am Great looking knife -very raiders . Unfortunately for me living in the UK not something I can carry in public.
Thanks! No worries, in Romania it's the same. You can own it, but you're not allowed to have it on you. Legally a 7 cm blade is OK, but even that will earn you a record ...

I got it for the collection and to use around the house. :TOH:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

That's a nice looking knife.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Thanks, Indiana Jeff! The quality seems good too.

I had a Böker balisong once and I was disappointed, but this knife seems to be a whole different class of quality.

Cheers,
Bear
Lightning
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Lightning »

I've been looking for other options as well. I'm considering the Mercury 9211DC, but haven't bought it yet.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Lightning wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:46 pm I've been looking for other options as well. I'm considering the Mercury 9211DC, but haven't bought it yet.
Looks good, and it's also a cheaper option than others. :TOH:
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

Nice knife! I own a Böker mono with a 440c blade, and it's higher quality than my Linder. I couldn't be happier with it. Image

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

indy89 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:34 pm Nice knife! I own a Böker mono with a 440c blade, and it's higher quality than my Linder. I couldn't be happier with it. Image

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Beautiful, I like the golden Böker medallion, it looks more authentic like that. I love the tooled leather notebook as well!
Velahrn
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Velahrn »

bearbeast wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:37 am
donovan wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:28 am Great looking knife -very raiders . Unfortunately for me living in the UK not something I can carry in public.
Thanks! No worries, in Romania it's the same. You can own it, but you're not allowed to have it on you. Legally a 7 cm blade is OK, but even that will earn you a record ...

That's such a stupid law. In Poland, you could walk with a sword, or an axe, or a halberd freely and we are not killing each other with melee weapons. My friend is so into Medieval/Renaissance swordsmanship, and he carries his double-handed sword in a bus normally.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Velahrn wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:13 am
bearbeast wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:37 am

That's such a stupid law. In Poland, you could walk with a sword, or an axe, or a halberd freely and we are not killing each other with melee weapons. My friend is so into Medieval/Renaissance swordsmanship, and he carries his double-handed sword in a bus normally.
Yup! The law makes absolutely no sense... Criminals and law breakers carry knives and even firearms without any permit whatsoever...

But me, who only uses knives for utilitarian purposes, to open a box, or cut a string, am forced to leave any blade at home for fear of getting trialed and maybe even jailed.... ](*,)
mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mr_alex »

Lightning wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:46 pm I've been looking for other options as well. I'm considering the Mercury 9211DC, but haven't bought it yet.
I ordered one inspired by this thread. It came today, and it's a great looking knife and could totally pass for Indy's. My one reservations is: it's kinda big.

I was imagining a pocket knife, like the Cub Scout knife I had as a kid or the size of a Swiss Army Knife. This if a foldable knife that can fit in your pocket, but it's about 1/3 larger than I was expecting. (The dimensions are 4.5" (11.43cm) closed. 3.5" (8.89cm))

Does that seem right for Indy's knife? If so, this seems like a great knife overall - it's just more knife than I was expecting...
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

I was also surprised by the size... I was used with the Swiss Army knife dimensions.

The Böker is a beast. The blade is longer and almost twice as thick.

Maybe pocket knives were more robust in those days?! :-k
mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mr_alex »

Do we have any information about the original knife for comparison? Was the Indy knife bigger than a standard pocket knife?

What's the best information we actually have on this prop?
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

There are quite a few threads around here relating to Indy's pocket knife. Most refer to Hubertus or Linder which do seem to be smaller and seem to have a thinner blade than the Böker.

I haven't seen any particular dimensions mentioned in the threads, but I did not search in so much detail. I am not a 100% screen accuracy oriented guy. I like practical gear that looks the part as much as possible usually. :CR:

https://www.yourprops.com/Indy-s-Pocket ... 15474.html

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=65056&hilit=linder

http://www.indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.p ... lit=+knife

These are the threads I researched at the time I got my Böker. Maybe you find some hints.

Cheers,
Bear
mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mr_alex »

Thanks so much for sharing these!

Actually looking at this image, it seems that the slightly larger knife is, in fact, spot on.

A normal pocket knife or Swiss Army knife, I imagine you'd close with your thumb and forefinger. But to be able to 1. hold the knife as far down as Indy does, and 2. to be able to rest all 4 fingers on the knife blade (with his fingers spread out even) do seem to point to a Indy's knife being bigger than a traditional pocket knife!
Lightning
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Lightning »

mr_alex wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:07 pm
I ordered one inspired by this thread. It came today, and it's a great looking knife and could totally pass for Indy's. My one reservations is: it's kinda big.

I was imagining a pocket knife, like the Cub Scout knife I had as a kid or the size of a Swiss Army Knife. This if a foldable knife that can fit in your pocket, but it's about 1/3 larger than I was expecting. (The dimensions are 4.5" (11.43cm) closed. 3.5" (8.89cm))

Does that seem right for Indy's knife? If so, this seems like a great knife overall - it's just more knife than I was expecting...
Thanks for the report, I just looked it up and the Linder is 4 3/8" with a 3 1/4" blade, so the Larger size is good.