Can a Raiders fedora look just like a Crusade fedora?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Can a Raiders fedora look just like a Crusade fedora?

Post by SFGiant »

I am personally getting a Herbert Johnson Raiders and I am going to ask for a Last Crusade bash. But I am asking in general terms are the LC and Raiders compatible so to speak? Is there something different about the ribbon?
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Can a Raiders fedora look just like a Crusade fedora?

Post by Illinois_Jones »

The ribbons are technically slightly different but it doesn't really matter. The major question is, why would you order a Raiders and have them give it an LC bash? The dimensions are different, especially in the brim.
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

Illinois_Jones wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:03 pm The ribbons are technically slightly different but it doesn't really matter. The major question is, why would you order a Raiders and have them give it an LC bash? The dimensions are different, especially in the brim.
Yes I want the dimensions to be exactly like Raiders, but the bash to look like Last Crusade. In Last Crusade the brim changes dimensions. I guess they kept trimming it to alter the light Harrison got on his face. And it started to really curl on the sides. I wouldn't want the brim to look like that.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

You could just ask for a non grail temple look with no cowboy curl.
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

IJJTM wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:24 pm You could just ask for a non grail temple look with no cowboy curl.
Sorry what do you mean?
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

SFGiant wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:16 pm
IJJTM wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:24 pm You could just ask for a non grail temple look with no cowboy curl.
Sorry what do you mean?
If you want an LC with a specific brim, then why not just ask for a standard LC? The shorter brim is usually associated with Indy in the Grail temple, as long as you don’t ask for the grail temple version you should be good. If you don’t want the curl on the brim, then just ask for there to be no cowboy curl on the brim.
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

IJJTM wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:14 am
SFGiant wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:16 pm
Sorry what do you mean?
If you want an LC with a specific brim, then why not just ask for a standard LC? The shorter brim is usually associated with Indy in the Grail temple, as long as you don’t ask for the grail temple version you should be good. If you don’t want the curl on the brim, then just ask for there to be no cowboy curl on the brim.
Oh. I want my hat to be exactly like the one used on Raiders, just not shaped the same way.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

So you sort of want a CS?
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

IJJTM wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:05 am So you sort of want a CS?
Well not exactly. There was something about that hat I didn’t like. And I wouldn’t want it in beaver. But conceptually the same thing. Start out with exactly the same as a Raiders hat and shape it in a more as new condition. Not weathered.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

If that’s what you want then just order yourself a Raider but mention you want it to be bashed like an LC in the comments. That or you could order one unabashed and do it yourself. It should look good.
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

SFGiant wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:16 pm
Illinois_Jones wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:03 pm The ribbons are technically slightly different but it doesn't really matter. The major question is, why would you order a Raiders and have them give it an LC bash? The dimensions are different, especially in the brim.
Yes I want the dimensions to be exactly like Raiders, but the bash to look like Last Crusade. In Last Crusade the brim changes dimensions. I guess they kept trimming it to alter the light Harrison got on his face. And it started to really curl on the sides. I wouldn't want the brim to look like that.
From this description, it sounds like you want the slightly wider (?) Raiders brim and the Raiders hat's characteristic tall and boxy shape combined with the looser crown pinch of the LC hat -- it that correct? If you pin down exactly what you're looking for, I'm sure HJ can deliver it.
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

Howard Weinstein wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:02 am
From this description, it sounds like you want the slightly wider (?) Raiders brim and the Raiders hat's characteristic tall and boxy shape combined with the looser crown pinch of the LC hat -- it that correct? If you pin down exactly what you're looking for, I'm sure HJ can deliver it.
Yep. I wrote a HUGE guide to give to HJ but I’m just like lol I really need to write it down to a few sentences. I realized the LC pinch pyramid is narrower than I thought. Maybe I want more of an Indy V pinch. I’ll find the perfect picture.
darthjones2
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by darthjones2 »

Me, what I would do under these circumstances, is order a Crusade hat (with desired pinch from whatever photo you send) but request a brim of Raiders width (commonly held to be 2 7/8" front and back, 2 5/8" on the sides).

The crown height of Raiders and crown height of Crusade are the same but look different because one is less "round," to start with toward the front and back.

My further opinion is that if you put that softer bash into a Raiders hat it will look too high/ tall. It needs to be gathered in a bit more to sit right - probably why Raiders has a tighter pinch.

I own both an HJ Last Crusade and HJ Raiders and have attempted the above, just out of curiosity, and am basically herein reporting the results. :)
craigjohn
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by craigjohn »

Howard Weinstein wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:02 am
Sounds like a tall ToD.. softer bash, tall crown...

Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Man, that pic looks good!