Shorty, get our Gladstone

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Shorty, get our Gladstone

Post by bearbeast »

On my latest rewatch of ToD I noticed Indy's travel bag, that Short Round lugs around. And I thought it looked really cool:

I studied a bit and found out it is called a Gladstone bag and I decided I could most likely make one myself. I found a store that sold bag frames, ordered one and got to work.

It looks like Indy's bag might have been a bit stiffer at some point, but became soft like cotton with heavy use. I really liked the heavy bottom look it had and I tried to recreate this by giving the bag barrel walls and then a slight incline towards the frame, when in the closed position.

I went with natural leather, which will age nicely in time, until it is as dark as Indy's. Maybe I will also add the patches in time, but for now the pictures were too low quality to identify what they are and I kind of like the simple look of the bag.

Cheers,
Bear
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Shorty, get our Gladstone

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Wow! Amazing work. :clap:

I love the fabric you chose for the liner.

There is at least one thread here discussing the Gladstone bag. There may be better pictures of the stickers, though I could never put stickers on the bags I’ve acquired.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Thank you very much, Indiana Jeff! :D

I found one of the Gladstone bag threads some weeks ago, I think there is where I picked up the name for the travel bag. I need to search again, see the pictures there.

I am not sure I can find it in my heart to cover the natural leather with stickers either! For now I am quite happy with the bag and excited to use it in a weekend adventure. Whenever this will be... hopefully soon! :rolling:

Cheers,
Bear
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Wow, bearbeast, that is awesome! You have talent, that's for sure!
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Thank you so, Charybdis, I appreciate your kind words! :D
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Yeah, there was a big thread discussing this bag several years ago with examples of originals that had been found, but new finds are DEFINITELY welcomed to see what’s out there now!

I almost had a trade for an original in crocodile hide but the old lady at the antique store talked her son out of doing the trade. :x

Still worked out better for me in the long run, but I would have really liked to have had that bag.

Your bag is absolutely gorgeous!!!

Regards! Michaelson
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Michaelson wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:04 am Yeah, there was a big thread discussing this bag several years ago with examples of originals that had been found, but new finds are DEFINITELY welcomed to see what’s out there now!

I almost had a trade for an original in crocodile hide but the old lady at the antique store talked her son out of doing the trade. :x

Still worked out better for me in the long run, but I would have really liked to have had that bag.

Your bag is absolutely gorgeous!!!

Regards! Michaelson
Thanks, Michaelson! :TOH:

I think collectors and Indygear-heads rather have 'not-buyer's-remorse' rather than 'buyer's-remorse'. I always find myself wishing I'd bought a rare find, rather than losing the opportunity.

So I know what you mean about the Croco-gladstone!

Cheers,
Bear
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

In my case, it’s not remorse from not getting, but from being BLOCKED from getting at the last moment FROM getting it.

That was years ago, and that old bitty still irritates me.

Regards! M
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Oh, no! I can imagine how irksome that can be!

"I had it, Markus! I had it in my hand!" ](*,)

Cheers,
Bear
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Literally. :? ;)
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

This might be your Cross of Coronado! Who knows when you'll run into it again, to snatch it back? :rolling:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Well, it’s been over 25 years, so who knows…… :-k

Regards! M
Nosirrah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Nosirrah »

Be careful what you wish for. For years my grandpa's old Gladstone sat in our attic. When I was going away to school, I thought it would be cool to take it. By the time I unpacked it, everything inside had this funky smell that wouldn't go away. Think 'Seinfeld'-- the leather jacket episode. :-0
Back to the attic. :roll:
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

You've stirred something in my childhood memories, Nossirah! I remember wanting to use all kinds of old stuff from my grandpa or grandma... I was so excited at first until I realised there might be a reason they used them no more.... :rolling:

And Michaelson, 25 years is not so long, the Croco-bag might pop out when you least expect it. But, yes, do check for the smell before putting your best garments inside! :CR:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

That store is long gone so it won’t turn up there any time soon…..and believe me, I’m plenty long enough in tooth to know stored luggage needs TLC and serious airing before it can be put into regular use again. Heck, I remember when Eisenhower was in office. :[

I got my Dad’s 1947 croc Pullman back from that condition and it’s perfect again. It’s doable.

Regards! M
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Michaelson wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:21 pmHeck, I remember when Eisenhower was in office. :[

Regards! M
And I remember when Maggie Thatcher was at 10 Downing Street... :lol:
bearbeast wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:25 amAnd Michaelson, 25 years is not so long.
For some, that's a long time, heck, soon i'll be twice as old as that :anxious:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

;)
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Canyon wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:08 pm
For some, that's a long time, heck, soon i'll be twice as old as that :anxious:
Well, I wish many more happy years! :TOH:

But of course you are right, 25 years is a quarter of a life after all. I was only thinking of movie magic: "25 years later.... The bag suddenly popped into my life again..." :rolling:
Spooky
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Spooky »

Great looking Gladstone, bearbeast !!!
Outstanding job. :TOH:
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Spooky wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:34 am Great looking Gladstone, bearbeast !!!
Outstanding job. :TOH:
Thank you loads, Spooky! :D Glad you liked it!

Cheers,
Bear
Wotalark
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Wotalark »

That's a fine looking bag Bear! Love your detective work and your fantastic craftsmanship. :TOH:
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Wotalark wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:40 am That's a fine looking bag Bear! Love your detective work and your fantastic craftsmanship. :TOH:
Thank you, Wotalark! Really appreciate your kind words! :TOH:
davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by davidd »

You made a modern-day Gladstone bag? That is incredible! Impressive work! And impressive ambition! :clap:

Some years ago (2011) I found and purchased a vintage Gladstone bag via ebay:

The bag was marked "Warranted OX Leather" on the underside, and measured about 16 inches long.

Amusingly (to me, at least), the embossed initials suggested... Flying Spaghetti Monster.

As the bag appeared to be quite sturdy and in good condition, I intended to use it as a general purpose vintage carryall, particularly when Indy-gearing. However, after only one or two uses the handles gave way, even though I had been careful not to overload the bag.

I managed to re-sell the bag for what I paid, so it wasn't a total loss.

Again, I am impressed beyond measure at your talent in reproducing an intricate item like a Gladstone bag.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

davidd wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:06 pm You made a modern-day Gladstone bag? That is incredible! Impressive work! And impressive ambition! :clap:

Some years ago (2011) I found and purchased a vintage Gladstone bag via ebay:

The bag was marked "Warranted OX Leather" on the underside, and measured about 16 inches long.

Amusingly (to me, at least), the embossed initials suggested... Flying Spaghetti Monster.

As the bag appeared to be quite sturdy and in good condition, I intended to use it as a general purpose vintage carryall, particularly when Indy-gearing. However, after only one or two uses the handles gave way, even though I had been careful not to overload the bag.

I managed to re-sell the bag for what I paid, so it wasn't a total loss.

Again, I am impressed beyond measure at your talent in reproducing an intricate item like a Gladstone bag.
Thank you so much, davidd! I appreciate your kind words! :D I did step out of my comfort zone with some of the leather working techniques. I made a lot of trials on small leather scraps and loads of calculations... Not to mention the paper mock-up got adjusted five times before I was happy...

That vintage bag really looked amazing, I especially liked the pattern on the leather. Sorry it gave out on you, I guess it had been on one too many adventures. :(