Replacement shirt buttons?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Replacement shirt buttons?

Post by Howard Weinstein »

Has anyone ever found a reliable source for reasonably accurate khaki/tan replacement shirt buttons for Indy shirts where the standard buttons don't quite make the grade?

I just bought a Karolian "Classic Adventure Shirt" which got relegated to the seconds category because the buttons are too big and the wrong style. The fabric color on these is a little too tan, so either tan or Khaki buttons might work. How hard could it be to find smaller (1/2") shirt buttons and make the swap?

To my surprise, I'm discovering it's VERY hard to find passable replacements. ](*,)

I guess there's not much call for tan/khaki buttons (other than by Indy fans). If anybody's had better luck than I'm having, any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!
distantpeople
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Replacement shirt buttons?

Post by distantpeople »

Wonder where Azuma gets the buttons he uses.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Now I’m shooting from the hip with no ammo.
But when ever I’ve done the rit dye process,, I’ve noticed the buttons tend change as well.

So you might try finding white buttons , some rit dye in the color you feel matches your minds eye and boil some water and try it.
Or am I way off.
Like I said, no ammo.

Croft :mrgreen:
Raider Of The Lost Ark
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Raider Of The Lost Ark »

Indiana Croft wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:46 pm Now I’m shooting from the hip with no ammo.
But when ever I’ve done the rit dye process,, I’ve noticed the buttons tend change as well.

So you might try finding white buttons , some rit dye in the color you feel matches your minds eye and boil some water and try it.
Or am I way off.
Like I said, no ammo.

Well you are the top shirt ‘alchemist’, the shirt you added ‘sweat’ too looks awesome. Just awesome. :clap:
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Your to kind, it’s a hobbie after all. And I love distressing things.

But I’d bet if you made a pot of water and boiled the buttons, you be able to change the color.
Every time I got a Azuma, I’d save the extra buttons he sends.
Will have to see how many I have, the Disney shirt would definitely need button swapping.

KarolianDryGoods
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by KarolianDryGoods »

Hey!

I have some advice on this - I grabbed a seconds from my run for myself as well that I may swap buttons on.

I've sewn maybe a dozen Indy shirts myself over the last few years, and the buttons *are* very hard to get looking right. The buttons on the shirts Surplus line shirts I offer are designed and colored to get as close as I could, but unfortunately I don't have extras.

BUT, with the ones I have sewn, I almost always dye the buttons. Both rit, and rit Dyemore seem to work, but it happens fast, and is a bit tricky to nail the saturation of the dye and timing.

You can get very inexpensive, but well shaped buttons at Joann ( https://www.joann.com/my-favorite-color ... K4QAvD_BwE ) in white or grey and dye them in a few minutes.
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

I got good results with the RIT Liquid Tan dye.
viewtopic.php?p=780981&hilit=Dye+buttons#p780981

Sorry my Flickr account was messed up by Flickr when they change the free account policy. I need to add photos back to shows things.

Update: I added the photos here.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 053&type=3
azuma
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by azuma »

distantpeople wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:56 pm Wonder where Azuma gets the buttons he uses.
My buttons are custom order. They aren't dyed buttons. I used dyed buttons in my very first few runs, and they got faded or color changed through time, so I decided to order a batch of the buttons in custom color for 2015 run.

Best regards,
Azuma