Is the SoC shirt unique?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Is the SoC shirt unique?

Post by mr_alex »

I was looking at the Karolian Dry Goods Instagram page and found this post:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CjVsQcCOW8t/
Thank you all for the success of the first run of Adventure shirts!

It is with this success that I am developing a true "Cairo" Adventure Shirt to add to my Karolian Dry Goods Surplus line.

This shirt will have a similar cut and feel as the Classic Adventure Shirt, but with some specific changes.

The material is a lighter colored Pima cotton, featuring warm tan/olive buttons, biased placket, modified epaulets, pen pocket stitch, and no top stitching on the armholes.

I may introduce some additional sizing for this run as well.

These will be available in my shop in the coming weeks.
So, admitting that I don't know what all of this means (what is a biased placket??? I'll Google it....) I didn't realize that the SoC shirt had any features distinct from any other "Raider's style" adventure shirt. What do y'all make of this? Is the SoC shirt unique in any way? How noticeable are these kinds of changes anyway? (And does this mean I'll need to buy another Indy shirt? :shock:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Is the SoC shirt unique?

Post by Indiana Jeff »

The way I read that, the current shirt is close, but not 100% screen accurate and the new SOC shirt will be closer if not exactly screen accurate.

If I had to guess, gearheads like us have been buying his shirt and have been providing feedback or asking for modifications to the current shirt to make it more SA so he is responding to the requests.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

I think that just means he’ll get really specific on Raider details rather than generic Indy trilogy shirt.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

:-k
Who’s that handsome dude all geared up wearing one of his Indy 5 shirts.
:CR:

But to be honest, I bought up one size and the fit is better.
In the pic I’m wearing a L and while it fit fine, I just like a little more room in the stomach area.
An XL did the trick, so sizing may be from the Asian market, as the sizing is a tad different from USA

But the construction is solid and I will definitely be getting one of these.

Croft :mrgreen:
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

Indiana Croft wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:48 pm :-k
Who’s that handsome dude all geared up wearing one of his Indy 5 shirts.
:CR:

But t9 be honest, i but up one size and the fit is better.
In the pic I’m wearing a L and while it fit fine, I just like a little more room in the stomach area.
An XL did the trick, so sizing may be from the Asian market, as the sizing is a tad different from USA

But the construction is solid and I will definitely be getting one of these.

Croft :mrgreen:
I agree with Croft on the sizing of these nice and reasonably priced shirts from Karolian Dry Goods. I bought a Large initially, thinking that would give me the little bit of extra room I prefer -- but it fit more like a WPG Medium.

So I bought a second Karolian shirt in XL, and that fit more like my WPG Large -- not baggy, but just a little roomier across the shoulders and stomach. Looking forward to KDG's tweaked Cairo Raiders shirts!
KarolianDryGoods
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by KarolianDryGoods »

Hey all!

Thanks to a fellow member for the link to the forum! I had been trying to join for a bit.

Anyhow, in regard to the differences in the SoC shirt:

The shirt will differ from my "Classic" shirt in the following ways:

-Fabric color (lighter in color, more of an offwhite/stone color)
-Pen Pocket stitch on the left breast pocket
-Epaulet design (slightly different shape)
-Armhole stitching (The Raiders shirts don't have a top stitch around the armholes like the ToD, Skull, Crusade)

The biased placket is the way that the placket is constructed. It is the same design as my other shirts, but is accurate to Raiders. No button on the placket itself as well.

I did omit a few quirks of the true screen used Raiders shirt in regards to the pockets design and placement. The amazing photos of a screen matched shirt do show the pockets are uneven, with the left breast pocket being lower. It also looks like the flaps were sewn too high, causing some tension with the buttons, which I assume to be the reason the buttons are undone for a lot of the film. I figured that might be "too far" for the shirts, and the manufacturing process would not allow for incorrectly sewn parts.

Hope that answers some questions! I should have the samples in this week - so I will have better photos and I can share photos next to the Classic shirt.

Thanks!
mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mr_alex »

Thanks, Adam!

What about the button count? I know that can be a sticking point for some folks around here when it comes to accuracy. It seems that most Indy shirts have too many buttons, and to my knowledge Azuma is currently the only reproduction that gets that particular detail right.
KarolianDryGoods
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

That's a great question!

As the design is now, it does have the 6th button on the front.

The placement of the top buttons is pretty accurate though (however sizing can effect this a bit)

The length of the current shirts I offer are proportional to what's seen in the screen used photos, but those that big scallop at the hem.

One of the points of feedback I got on the current shirts was to add a long option. I'm going to reach out to my rep to see about that sizing, so I can also ask to omit the 6th button.

On the positive side, I was really specific with them as far as the shape and color of the buttons, as well as their stitching being bar stitched on.

This shirt is really tricky with the colors (as are all costumes are they not!) but in high lighting, the buttons don't have much contrast, but in shadows they have quite a bit. Fingers crossed I picked a good color code for the fabric and buttons to get this effect.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Welcome aboard, anxious to see this shirt, if possible post a a pic or dozen, you’ll get lots of feed back.
The XL I bought are very nicely done, but when you say long, are you talking length?

Croft
KarolianDryGoods
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Yes, they'd be a bit longer. The Indy shirts do look pretty short all around, but for practicality it might be nice to have some longer options. I suppose the better term would be "tall" sizing.

I got the sample in today! All around, very very happy.

The color may not tickle everyone's ivories, but I am aiming for the screen seen color in the bright light from the Cairo scenes/basket chase.

Really happy with how the buttons look darker in indirect light, and lighter in direct sunlight.
Attachments
3EC4B63B-9FA4-4116-85D3-7EF3299D4490.jpeg
403F8916-9D2F-489D-A0FF-5CD87692332B.jpeg
D1921900-1C7E-4D85-A442-046E7F20FC36.jpeg
CB634C5B-35D2-4847-9828-A3E6D4688923.jpeg
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

Welcome, Adam :TOH:

This is a great place to show your Indy catalog items. Looking forward to ordering one (at least) of these new shirts!
KarolianDryGoods
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Hey again,

Futzing around some more with the color of the fabric.

I'm trying to reference every image/cap/promo photo I can find to compare. The shirts are so trick where they can look off white, grey, and tan all in one movie (kinda like the GB suits being khaki, but showing up grey with the film stock and grading)

Here are some comparisons I tried to make between the fabric, the sample shirt, and photos/caps I had found.

Coloring is also tough because the transfers I have seen pretty warm. While Ford is definitely very tan in a lot of the images, I did my best to make them as neutral as possible comparing Marion's blouse, reds, etc.
Attachments
8AE110B9-48E7-46A2-A0C5-7A5189E9F7DC.jpeg
B865A5FE-3A00-4F3D-9AA3-B99AF1DEF30D.jpeg
C92D2B7E-8DBB-4577-A361-A31C55FBCBB9.jpeg