Does your hat make you sweat?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Does your hat make you sweat?

Post by SFGiant »

I have a new Akubra Fed IV and boy do I sweat a lot in it. I don’t remember this happened with my last fed Iv but that was 2008. This new one is about half a size loose. And I usually never sweat.

Edit it said I swear a lot at first 😅
Last edited by SFGiant on Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Re: Does your hat make you sweat?

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

SFGiant wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:01 pm I have a new Akubra Fed IV and boy so I swear a lot in it. I don’t remember this happened with my last fed Iv but that was 2008. This new one is about half a size loose. And I usually never sweat.
Only when it’s over 90 degrees 8)
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

Ridgerunner58 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:43 pm
SFGiant wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:01 pm I have a new Akubra Fed IV and boy so I swear a lot in it. I don’t remember this happened with my last fed Iv but that was 2008. This new one is about half a size loose. And I usually never sweat.
Only when it’s over 90 degrees 8)
That might be why. I live in a desert lol
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

Definitely while hiking unless it's below 70, but not so much sweating when I'm just running errands and what not. I live in Texas and as most people know, it's hot here most of the time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

I grew up in southern CA but didn’t know what sweating was until I moved to the northwest and wore my hat on a hot, humid day. I wear my hat most days until it hits about 80 and high humidity, then it pours down my face. The summers are getting hot here again.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Sometimes I do, especially if I go on a long walk, not to mention hike. But I always sweat a lot, even when it's slightly colder out, if I do some effort. :-k

The tighter hats and ones that have a shinier leather with 'suction cup' effect cause the most sweat though. I guess they make my head really hot in that area.

Cheers,
Bear
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Short answer, yes!

I found when you remove the liner, it helps cool things tremendously, but keep in mind you’re wearing animal fur on your head. It’s going to get warm up there.

I actually took leather punches and like old hatters used to to punch a couple 3/8” vent holes in a couple of my AB’s on both sides just above the ribbon to allow air into the crown.

That and removal of liner I’ve worn beaver fur felt hats in Arizona in summer. I was still hot, but didn’t melt.

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

That's why I wear a straw Indy hat from Peters Brothers in the hot months.

Just this week I've made the transition from wearing the straw to felts. Gets too hot here in the TX Panhandle to do felt for roughly half the year. My target date is to switch over to felts on October 1st, but we were still in the upper 80s the first week.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Well that's why in the old days when hats were virtually mandatory men wore straw boaters and the like in summer; sometimes beginning at Easter, especially in warmer areas, and definitely from Memorial Day to Labor Day in the US.

And that's kind of my rubric as well. Once daytime temps average above 80F, I'm ditching the fur and going with straw or cloth.

In drier areas you can often get away with fur in the heat. In Australia you can usually pull off an Akubra most of the time. SoCal usually as well. But in most of the rest of the US where dew points and humidity climb substantially with temperature it just is what it is.

But Akubra does themselves no favors with those plastic topped liners. You can pull it out and it'll go a long way with the heat problem, which is why many working Akubra have no liner.