What SA hat do you adventure in?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mr_alex »

I started this conversation in the "factory fedora" thread, but thought it would be good worthwhile to give it its own topic.

I am the owner of 2 Akubra's (Federation 3 & 4), and 1 custom AdVintage beaver felt fedora. I'm in love with the SA look (the taller crown looks better on my head than the Akubra's) and now I'm on the lookout for a SA fedora that I can take on adventures and can stand a little abuse.

So my questions: Does an AdVintage beaver already fit that description? I feel like I find varying accounts on this forum of people treating their beaver felt fedoras like precious artifacts, or tanks that are heartier than rabbit felt, can withstand the elements and hold of to decent amount of wear-and-tear. Thoughts?

If the AdVintage is too nice (and expensive) to wear while running from a boulder or cutting through the jungle, what else would you recommend?

I am considering an rabbit AdVintage Harrison when they become available again for the SA style and lower price tag (and less guilt for putting it through the ringer). I've also considered an Steele & Jones fedora - but that's mostly because I think they're great guys and I'd like to give them my business... In any case, I'd love to get more opinions on what SA fedoras folks would subject to true IJ teatment.

Thanks, all!
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: What SA hat do you adventure in?

Post by jlee562 »

All other things being equal, the beaver felt will be more resilient over the long term. Beaver felt tends to resist shrinkage (which can lead to taper), which makes sense if you think about where beaver live as opposed to rabbits. Beaver felt are not immune to tapering/wear, but they should be more durable. Back in the day, body blanks were stored for a few months to a few years before being made into a hat, as the bodies can ever so slowly continue to felt together over time. The storage allowed the felt to become "dead," making it even more resilient and dense.

With the caveat that I am not particularly hardcore about SA measurements (would rather have a hat that suits my face than 100% SA); I would prefer my hat NOT to look like the SOC hat; and I can't comment specifically on AdVintage.....

Really depends what *you* want at the end of the day. A rabbit felt is more likely to develop its own character over time. If you want every single tiny detail in the crease to remain 100% SA day in, day out, it's probably better to opt for beaver, probably even stiffen it. The difference between treating one's hat like a precious artifact or not comes down to the individual. If you're really going to put your hat through the ringer, it can't really be both your "nice" hat AND your "adventure" hat.

IMHO, "too expensive" doesn't make a whole lot of sense if you're going to be using your hat as a functional piece of gear. Like, if you had a nice North Face tent, would you buy a cheaper one for your next trip because your expensive one was "too nice" to use? I get wanting to have a beater that you don't have to fret over, but if we are strictly speaking of function, beaver is better.
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Well, I have three hats: a Fed IV in gray, an AdVintage in 100% beaver, and an AB in rabbit.

I would have to say due to price point, felt, etc. I would choose the AdVintage for my true adventurer hat...
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

I'm a bit backwards on this, but I have a HJ Raiders in Hare that I use for most of my adventures and a Beaver Screencapped LC I use for most nicer situations. That said, if it's supposed to rain or precipitate at all beyond a very light mist, I opt for the LC since the Beaver holds up better in moisture. :TOH:
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

I wear my Advintage out a lot.
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

I think I got the gist of the question and I can see the issues. My hats are gear, as such I wear them but I do tend to baby them a bit. For most of the adventures I go on the worst that would happen is tree sap dripping or birds doing a number. I do however get the idea of having a fedora you truly don't worry about. I have 4 hats, all beaver, and I love them all for different reasons but I just go ahead and wear 'em hoping nothing happens to them. It helps knowing that I have a backup and I'm trying to convince myself that if something happens oh well, it can be replaced.
Have fun!
steve_guthrie
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by steve_guthrie »

I’ve given this subject a good bit of thought as I also want to strike a balance between usability and screen accuracy.
I currently own 2 Fedoraiders hats. Both rabbit, both SA hats. One of them is handled moderately, the other I have worn adventuring. It’s seen a good bit of sweat, it’s been to the ocean, it’s been through the woods during a humid day with light rain. It’s no worse off. Through all that, I’ve learned that a fedora is not really the hat for me in those environments. Even if it was a $50 hat and not $450 I would rather wear my Patagonia ballcap for most adventuring, as it’s truly disposable, plus it’s ventilated! I like to climb and crawl and get dirty in the woods. I wouldn’t wearing it rafting or mountain biking.
I do wear it while I cut the grass, just to give my neighbors something to talk about.
I doubt I would go to the trouble of traveling with one of it meant more luggage.
An old ad was posted a while back that showed the price of a fedora back in the day was, accounting for inflation, approx the same price I pay for a hat at REI today. Which I though was cool and shows that the more things change…etc.
I never thought I would be a fedora wearer, and it turns out it’s become one of the few eclectic items in my wardrobe. That being said, I wear it for SoC or Raven Bar scenarios, as a opposed to Peruvian Jungles, if you take my meaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shade88
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by shade88 »

I have three hats that I regularly wear:

My Adventurebilt Crystal Skull fedora (beaver felt) is what I wear when I go to the office. It has a sense of adventure, but it's still formal enough for work attire.

My Penman Raiders fedora (beaver felt) is my everyday hat. I wear it almost everyday in the Spring, Fall, and Winter. It is also the hat I take during trips. In fact, it has faded to a nice light sable over the last 10 years.

My Adventurebilt Legacy Raiders fedora (rabbit felt) is my Summer hat. It keeps my head cool during the Summer months and breathes a bit better than my Penman. I also wear it on very humid outings. In fact, I've used it so much in the last seven years, I've finally sent it to John for a full reblock.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

It's probably blasphemous to say here, but I don't use any of my fedoras for adventuring (hiking/camping/fishing). :CR: I wear fedoras nearly every day, but whereas for me they are wardrobe to be used in the elements (keep the sun/rain/snow off my head), I have other "specialized" hats that I use for more adventuring activities. Most commonly I wear a drover hat I bought in Alice Springs, Australia in 2001 or a boonie hat.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Ditto, actually!

The hat that has ended up traveling with me the most is a shantung straw Stetson Open Road with a ventilated/semi-calado weave. Much preferable to wear in hot weather than a felt hat. Try a straw folks, you might like it! Being shantung (shellacked paper 'straw'), it can get wet, knocked around, and much lighter on the head than a felt hat. They're relatively cheap too (~$100-$150 depending on the exact variation).
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Yeah, in the field I'll normally only wear felt when it's cooler out and it's usually an Akubra because it's purpose built for that in both construction and cost. But often I just wear a Tilley because in the end it's just easier to deal with. And honestly, during dig season in Egypt or other hot and dry areas you really can't get better than something like a keffiyeh. It's just something those of us who served in forward areas in Iraq and Afghanistan learned; the locals wear it for real reasons. Way back in grad school I worked on excavations at Hamoukar in Syria and then on Cyprus and Crete and thought I'd be super cool and wear a Fed III and nearly got heatstroke and was no doubt laughed at by the more seasoned veterans.

But the worst hats I've worn by far are leather ones like Barmah.
Hobbit Fedora
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hobbit Fedora »

In general my Akubra Fed 4 is my go to adventuring and travel hat and have found it works great. I usually tuck it under the seat in front on top of my carry-on (I’m 5 ft 2, never thought much about foot space). Or it sits on the back seat during road trips. As many have said one great thing about Akubras is that they’re meant for field use. With that said during the Florida summers a good Panama is often the day to day go to. Not as enjoyable as a good fedora but the fact is I find myself getting overheated even in straw and while I don’t really find fur felt much warmer any relief from the sticky hot air is worth taking.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Indiana Jeff wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:09 pm It's probably blasphemous to say here, but I don't use any of my fedoras for adventuring (hiking/camping/fishing). :CR: I wear fedoras nearly every day, but whereas for me they are wardrobe to be used in the elements (keep the sun/rain/snow off my head), I have other "specialized" hats that I use for more adventuring activities. Most commonly I wear a drover hat I bought in Alice Springs, Australia in 2001 or a boonie hat.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Same here. I do pull out the good old tried and true AB’s as things cool down to Fall and Winter, or urban outings, but for hard core ‘adventure’, my go to has been Tilley fedoras the past couple years.

I still have old faithfuls I’ll always wear, but after retiring, I have to pick my battles more carefully and determine if an old favorite can be replaced if damaged beyond repair, something I don’t have to do with a Tilley.

Regards! Michaelson
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

Back in grad school when digging in Israel, I would wear a wide-brimmed Henschel Hat Aussie Breezer most of the time, and my Adventurebilt CS beaver the rest of the time (and in 2010 when I supervised more than digging I wore my AB more). The CS AB is still my go-to for most things whether traveling or hiking, unless hot and dirty work on the parents’ farm (then the HH Breezer). The AB rabbit is less faded and I wear that for dressier occasions (or my Penman CS train gray hat).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mr_alex »

jlee562 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:01 pm All other things being equal, the beaver felt will be more resilient over the long term.
IMHO, "too expensive" doesn't make a whole lot of sense if you're going to be using your hat as a functional piece of gear. Like, if you had a nice North Face tent, would you buy a cheaper one for your next trip because your expensive one was "too nice" to use? I get wanting to have a beater that you don't have to fret over, but if we are strictly speaking of function, beaver is better.
Thanks, Jlee562! The North Face example makes a lot of sense. I've known that beaver felt is 'nicer' than rabbit, but I haven't been sure how much that meant 'more resilient' versus 'dressier'. What I'm hearing is that beaver is more resistant to shrinking/tapering over time, and can generally better withstand the elements (it can go into a rainstorm no problem). Do I have that right?

Also, what about physical abuse? I got really excited seeing Whiskyman's photos from taking his fedora to Africa (viewtopic.php?p=945399), but he did make sure to mention that he had to stuff the hat into an overhead bin more than once. Whiskyman's rabbit fedora took all that and still looks really good. How much can a beaver hat be crushed/beaten and bounce back? I realize that it will inevitably develop its own unique character with abuse, but I also wouldn't it want to go the way of the Young Indy fedora that as it got beaten just looks like a mess most of the time...

Thanks for all the input. If my Advintage is like a North Face tent I appreciate learning what conditions I can use it in without tearing a hole it in (to continue the analogy).

It's also been fantastic to hear how many serious gear heads still wear other hats when it's time for serious adventure or archeological work. Honestly, it's usually what I do too, but then I feel like a traitor for not using my Indiana Jones adventure gear when I have my own Indy style adventures. It seems I'm in good company, and can put that guilt to rest. Thanks for sharing, all!
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Hobbit Fedora wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:19 pm In general my Akubra Fed 4 is my go to adventuring and travel hat and have found it works great. I usually tuck it under the seat in front on top of my carry-on (I’m 5 ft 2, never thought much about foot space). Or it sits on the back seat during road trips. As many have said one great thing about Akubras is that they’re meant for field use. With that said during the Florida summers a good Panama is often the day to day go to. Not as enjoyable as a good fedora but the fact is I find myself getting overheated even in straw and while I don’t really find fur felt much warmer any relief from the sticky hot air is worth taking.
Same for me. I’m in Miami and for the last few years I’ve opted for an optimo crown Panama over beaver almost year round. The only exceptions are if it does cool down or I’m traveling. I’m those cases I always take my tried and true Penman. The thing has been with me on countless trips and adventures and has never let me down.

Dave
mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mr_alex »

jlee562 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:01 pm Back in the day, body blanks were stored for a few months to a few years before being made into a hat, as the bodies can ever so slowly continue to felt together over time. The storage allowed the felt to become "dead," making it even more resilient and dense.
I think that this is what sets apart the AdVintage 'MasterPiece' fedoras. https://shop.advintage.de/en/adVintage- ... dV-MP-1M.5

When I was ordering my fedora, I tried asking around here to see how much of a difference this process would make and didn't get a clear answer. It costs 100 Euro's more, though. How significant is the difference in resilience you think? (Not that I can go back and change my order, but I'd be curious.)
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

The idea of felt becoming "dead" is that the fibers settle in to a point where they will no longer try to revert to the cone shape that hat blanks come in, especially after the hat gets wet. Back in the day when men wore hats regularly and had them reblocked several times over the life of the hat, the reblocking process would eventually "kill" the felt so the hat was "taper proof."

Take this with a grain of salt, I have no concrete evidence to back this up but...

What I have surmised of the "pre-aging" process, strictly based on generalized comments hat makers have made in addition to what I stated above about felt dying after multiple reblocks, is that when making the new hat it is soaked, heated, blocked, ironed, dried, etc. multiple times replicating the reblocking process that would ordinarily be done over years.

This is a time and resource in intensive process. Most hat makers have one block in each size so to tie up a block repeatedly to make one hat limits their ability to fill other orders. Therefore they charge a premium for this extra service.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

I pretty much wear my AB CS beaver most of the year and man does it hold up against the rain. I love the drumming sound it makes when the drops hit the felt. I save my Penman grey CS beaver for dressy occasions and use my Garrison Raiders rabbit for outside chores. I have wanted to get a Panama hat similar to the one Henry Sr. wore in YIJ for hot weather.

B2B2AC4A-6869-4FD8-98FC-2E36525B5ABB.jpeg
6300D6E7-68AF-4239-93DD-541B1B5ED5D8.jpeg
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

I swear I remember answering here already, but can't find my answer. I usually rotate my hats, each of them gets worn a lot, no matter rain or sunshine.

But for hiking I always go with my Andrea Tognarelli hat. It seems more rugged, I love that the felt is softer AND it stays on my head really well, so the wind doesn't blow it away. It's great for bike riding, too! :D

Cheers,
Bear
Hobbit Fedora
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hobbit Fedora »

bearbeast wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:29 am
But for hiking I always go with my Andrea Tognarelli hat. It seems more rugged, I love that the felt is softer AND it stays on my head really well, so the wind doesn't blow it away. It's great for bike riding, too! :D

Cheers,
Bear
How durable do you find your Tognarelli? I’ve been considering him for a fedora but he only uses Rabbit and I’m a little worried how well the felt would stand up to high heat + humidity + rain (and then back to humidity again).
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

It has held up really well over the last years. I think I received the hat in 2019. It has been in the sun in up to 40 degree Celsius weather (104 Fahrenheit) , also a bit of rain, though not fully soaked.

I would say it looks brand new still, except for the effects of the sweat on the liner, which is unavoidable. I had a few hard hikes where I was soaked in sweat and the hat soaked up all of it.

I'd say go for it, Andrea is a really swell guy as well. :TOH:

Cheers,
Bear
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

lantzn wrote:I pretty much wear my AB CS beaver most of the year and man does it hold up against the rain. I love the drumming sound it makes when the drops hit the felt. I save my Penman grey CS beaver for dressy occasions and use my Garrison Raiders rabbit for outside chores. I have wanted to get a Panama hat similar to the one Henry Sr. wore in YIJ for hot weather.

B2B2AC4A-6869-4FD8-98FC-2E36525B5ABB.jpeg
6300D6E7-68AF-4239-93DD-541B1B5ED5D8.jpeg
Gorgeous AB, lantzn!

My AB is my go-to hat for pretty much everything. Occasionally I'll wear my Fed IV when the temps are in the 100s like we experienced this past summer, but the Fed isn't much cooler than my AB, IMO.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk