Raider’s screen jacket side strap buckle & lining confirmed

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Raider’s screen jacket side strap buckle & lining confir

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

marker2037 wrote:Finally installed my Solide buckles. They look great. Happy to add more accuracy to my Kelso.

:tup:
Did the buckles come apart easily for you?
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Raider’s screen jacket side strap buckle & lining confir

Post by marker2037 »

Forrest For the Trees wrote::tup:
Did the buckles come apart easily for you?
Yes, very easily. On the thinner side of the buckle there is a a male to female V-shape connection which you can gently spread (not too far as to bend them) with some pliers (wrapped with electrical tape to prevent damage to the black paint) and a bit of elbow grease and then pop out the middle pronged bar.

The hardest part of this buckle swap was actually getting the middle bar into the looped holder on the jacket as the prongs get in the way of it sliding in easily. You can always cut the prongs off or down, but I opted to leave them.
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Raider’s screen jacket side strap buckle & lining confirmed

Post by SFGiant »

I see that the buckle debate seems to have been settled, but is it commonly accepted that the lining was polyester/satin and not cotton now?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Considering the original stunt jackets in private collections and Lucas archives were found to have cotton linings, as well as confirmations from Peter Botwright of Wested all those years of same, not sure where you’re getting that being a commonly accepted truth… :-k

Regards! Michaelson
Stefan Hills
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Stefan Hills »

SFGiant wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:45 am I see that the buckle debate seems to have been settled, but is it commonly accepted that the lining was polyester/satin and not cotton now?
I can only speak from personal experiences. Having seen and handled both a screen used TOD (Noel Howard) and LC jacket (Smithsonian) I can confirm that cotton lining was NOT used, it’s the darkest brown polyester blend.

When the curator of the Smithsonian’s department of cultural history reached out to the curators of the Lucas Museum of Narrative Art, where the remaining screen jackets are housed including two jackets from ROTLA also got confirmation that cotton lining was NOT used. The only jacket that has possible cotton lining is the Indy 5 jacket.

Peter saying the lining was cotton is incorrect and I can only assume it was because of it’s hardiness and the fact that was what was on hand at the time. This speculation, but the rest mentioned above is has verified.
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

Stefan Hills wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:24 pm
SFGiant wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:45 am I see that the buckle debate seems to have been settled, but is it commonly accepted that the lining was polyester/satin and not cotton now?
I can only speak from personal experiences. Having seen and handled both a screen used TOD (Noel Howard) and LC jacket (Smithsonian) I can confirm that cotton lining was NOT used, it’s the darkest brown polyester blend.

When the curator of the Smithsonian’s department of cultural history reached out to the curators of the Lucas Museum of Narrative Art, where the remaining screen jackets are housed including two jackets from ROTLA also got confirmation that cotton lining was NOT used. The only jacket that has possible cotton lining is the Indy 5 jacket.

Peter saying the lining was cotton is incorrect and I can only assume it was because of it’s hardiness and the fact that was what was on hand at the time. This speculation, but the rest mentioned above is has verified.
Excellent thank you.

I also saw a post from Brandon of the auction prop house place I think? And he said it was definitely not cotton. I just hope it becomes common knowledge because up until I stumbled upon this post I thought for sure it was cotton. I think I still will order cotton for one of my jackets for comfort but maybe not for one I want to be 100% SA.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Linings were repaired and replaced by auction houses. Untouched jackets in private collections were cotton, as Peter was instructed to make them as cheaply as possible and to use what he had on hand. The original order was big and a fast turn around was required.
A complaint by stunt men was the cotton lining shredded after hard use and they either ripped it out or replaced it as time allowed. The one examined by Gibson and Barnes to create the Expedition had the remainder of a shredded cotton lining inside, which gave them the heads up NOT to go that way with their version.
Peter always referred to the set ups of lambskin leather and cotton lining as his ‘summer’ jacket. In the ‘old days’ he rarely if ever used a polyester lining on anything as his read and butter was film and tv production.

Regards! M
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

Michaelson wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:47 am Linings were repaired and replaced by auction houses. Untouched jackets in private collections were cotton, as Peter was instructed to make them as cheaply as possible and to use what he had on hand. The original order was big and a fast turn around was required.
A complaint by stunt men was the cotton lining shredded after hard use and they either ripped it out or replaced it as time allowed. The one examined by Gibson and Barnes to create the Expedition had the remainder of a shredded cotton lining inside, which gave them the heads up NOT to go that way with their version.
Peter always referred to the set ups of lambskin leather and cotton lining as his ‘summer’ jacket. In the ‘old days’ he rarely if ever used a polyester lining on anything as his read and butter was film and tv production.

Regards! M
Uh oh we have a total 180 now. So confused but this does sound pretty conclusive.
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

I always thought it was interesting that you could see the cotton lining in this scene... :D

https://movie-screencaps.com/raiders-lo ... m-8858.jpg
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

SFGiant wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:29 pm

Uh oh we have a total 180 now. So confused but this does sound pretty conclusive.
Yeah, confusion reigns supreme in this hobby! :lol: ;)

Regards! M
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Stefan Hills wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:24 pm

Yes this makes sense. In Temple and Crusade the lining when seen looks like a polyester blend.

I mean God bless Peter, but we all know how dodgy his memory was.
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

Canyon wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:00 am I always thought it was interesting that you could see the cotton lining in this scene... :D

https://movie-screencaps.com/raiders-lo ... m-8858.jpg
That definitely looks like cotton to me.
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

How does Fiocchi factor in? Are they accurate buckles?

Does anyone have a source to buy extra black strap buckles, preferably SA but no biggie if not. Thanks
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

SFGiant wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:19 am How does Fiocchi factor in? Are they accurate buckles?

Does anyone have a source to buy extra black strap buckles, preferably SA but no biggie if not. Thanks
FIOCCHI snaps are on Last Crusade original jackets.
NOT on Raiders ones.

We offer 2-prongs rectangular black buckles for our Raiders in accurate Lambskin jacket style.

Cheers.-
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

Hi are they something you’d sell separately?

Also it’s driving me nuts as I can’t get conclusive search results. Did Last Crusade have cotton or satin lining?
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

SFGiant wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:22 pm Hi are they something you’d sell separately?
No. We don't sell buckles separately.
I'm sorry we can't help you on that matter.
SFGiant wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:22 pm Also it’s driving me nuts as I can’t get conclusive search results. Did Last Crusade have cotton or satin lining?
Original LC jacket at Smithsonian Museum have
100% polyester lining. Not satin. It's a different material.

Regards.-
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

Would anyone have a source for buckles that I can outright purchase through a website etc? Or what should I search for etc?
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

If you mean the pronged buckles on the Raiders Jacket, just search for "pronged vest buckles" as they are often used on vests/waistcoats.
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

So were D-rings just what these jackets were shipped with or
were they EVER used on screen?
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

SFGiant wrote:Hi are they something you’d sell separately?

Also it’s driving me nuts as I can’t get conclusive search results. Did Last Crusade have cotton or satin lining?
MakeItJones sells black rectangular buckles for Indy jackets. They're easy to install; no sewing required.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

makeitjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by makeitjones »

After reading through this thread last week I don't think I'm going to restock on these Black retrofit rectangles:
square retrofit.jpg
square retrofit.jpg (25.45 KiB) Viewed 1761 times
These new ones in gunmetal seem a better match on shape and less likely to catch the edges on car bolsters etc. - I've swapped over to these on all my jackets and prefer them:
retrofit buckles web.jpg
I bought out a leather supply business a few months ago and still got a warehouse full of stuff to sort through, so who knows what interesting things might come across...
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

Hi do you have the ones with the prongs?
makeitjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by makeitjones »

I only stock ones you can retro-fit without having to remove and restitch the buckle strap. Not sure if that's possible with the centre bar of the pronged buckles?
makeitjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by makeitjones »

Seems like you can remove the centre bar - would have to see if find any in the warehouse or if any our suppliers stock them.
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

Stefan Hills wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:05 am

What leather is this? The color looks perfect.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

That would be Kelso’s Striated Lambskin

https://billkelsomfg.com/shop/product/r ... ic-hunter/

Very soft, definitely brown.