Is this a proto-Indiana Jones jacket?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

I was thinking about getting another jacket in pre-distressed cowhide if I like the leather enough when I receive the bag made from it. I didn't really want to get another Indiana Jones jacket in it though, kind of felt like it might be a waste to not branch out. I also wanted something with a continuous construction (instead of having a separate back flap). Then I saw this jacket:

https://wested.com/products/custom-made ... ade-3493-p

This jacket is based on the one used in Skyfall which was a Levi's Vintage Collection 1930s jacket.

First off, WAS this an actual jacket design from the 30s?
The Indiana Jones jacket looks like a hybrid between two jackets. Primarily the A-2, but also...maybe this?
The Indy jacket clearly took the side pleats, back and back straps from this jacket.

It looks very similar to the jacket worn in China (1943) but that jacket doesn't have the side pleats/straps.

If I'm going to branch out it would be pretty cool to get a jacket that is like a proto-Indiana Jones jacket, the partial inspiration but also maybe something Indy might have actually worn in real life if he hadn't had a time traveling costume designer.

If I'm a 44 and a standard OTR Raiders jacket fits well, will this still fit well as a slim fit or should I move up a size?
LawranceOfArabia
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Re: Is this a proto-Indiana Jones jacket?

Post by LawranceOfArabia »

There are obvious similarities but given Skyfall was a good 30 years after Raiders and from all the discussion and evidence you can find from Nadoolman and Wested on the design process for the first Raiders jacket I suspect the Skyfall design is more likely to be an Indy inspired jacket than the other way around.
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

LawranceOfArabia wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:31 pm There are obvious similarities but given Skyfall was a good 30 years after Raiders and from all the discussion and evidence you can find from Nadoolman and Wested on the design process for the first Raiders jacket I suspect the Skyfall design is more likely to be an Indy inspired jacket than the other way around.
Well the Skyfall jacket is a Levi’s vintage collection from the 1930s so the assumption is it’s a jacket (replica) from the 30s
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Well yes, the Menlo is a remake of a 1930s jacket Levis made. And it's sheepskin. But the main influence on the Indy jacket was the same influence as the A-1/A-2 and the G-1/M-422: the cossack style jacket that a lot of companies made back then basically from the 20s to the 60s, along with other popular models like the Sears Hercules. And generally those jackets were horse or goat.
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

Yes the Skyfall is a replica of the Levis Menlo, which is itself a reproduction of a 1930s motorcycle jacket - that's why it's got long arms and button-up straps to tighten the cuffs.

It's a really nice jacket- I have two Westeds (I bought one in pre-distressed lamb and then picked up a shrunken lamb I saw on eBay going very cheap) and I also have the original Menlo version, which is lovely. It's a different style to the Indy jackets, with a tucked-in waist (it has a half belt as many of these old motorcycle jackets do) and much squarer, wider shoulders, where the Indy jackets are more rounded and slope off the shoulder. You also get just hand warmers rather than the patch pockets of an Indy. It feels a more tailored jacket somehow, more form-fitting than the relaxed slung-on look of Indy. As Illinois mentions, it is related to cossack jackets, most notably the curved seams you get down the front.
It certainly has that 30s style, maybe slightly more Rocketeer than Indy perhaps! :)

I do also like their Kingsman Whisky jacket: that's more of a cossack style and looks very nice I think.

This is my shrunken lamb Wested Skyfall (I think it's shrunken lamb anyway! The eBay listing didn't say :D - I guess it might be washed lamb? ):

And this is my pre-distressed lamb:

You can see how the camera lies! It keeps changing colour :D
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

I always liked this picture from Hector Chavez in reply to Wested's facebook post of his Skyfall in shrunken lamb, in a bit of an Indy situation! :)

SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

Those look great! Now I'm conflicted..that pre-distressed lamb looks really nice. Which picture represents the color/tone best?
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

It's hard to say; looking at it now at night under interior lighting I'd say it's somewhere between the close-up one of my chest in the flowery shirt and the first one standing with the jacket unzipped. The last one of the two jackets together on the floor definitely makes it look much yellower than it is I'd say. I think you'd say it's an orangey-brown tone.
It's nice and soft, almost spongey to the touch.
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

Thunderspy wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:00 pm It's hard to say; looking at it now at night under interior lighting I'd say it's somewhere between the close-up one of my chest in the flowery shirt and the first one standing with the jacket unzipped. The last one of the two jackets together on the floor definitely makes it look much yellower than it is I'd say. I think you'd say it's an orangey-brown tone.
It's nice and soft, almost spongey to the touch.
That one with the flowery shirt is dead on for what I’ve always wanted an A-2 in so I might wait for that and get cow in the Skyfall.

Is the predistressed lamb very smooth?
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

I’d say it’s pretty smooth, yes. It does have grain but it’s quite small scale.
I can take some more pics if you’d like.
I think I saw a pic on Google of a Skyfall in cow so you can get an idea of how that would look.
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

Thunderspy wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:38 am I’d say it’s pretty smooth, yes. It does have grain but it’s quite small scale.
I can take some more pics if you’d like.
I think I saw a pic on Google of a Skyfall in cow so you can get an idea of how that would look.
How slim fit is the Skyfall jacket?

Would you say it would be perfect for a distressed Raiders jacket?

Ty
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

Well it has D-rings so you can make it as slim fit as you like; it is gusseted as it's a motorbike jacket so it doesn't feel tight to you. It's perhaps just a bit more tailored than an Indy jacket.

Do you mean the distressed lamb for a Raiders? It depends if you want screen accuracy to the film or just a jacket for you; it's more of an orangey hue than the leather of Indy's jacket so I don't think it would look very like the film one. You never know, they may have photos if you ask them; I expect someone has done it at some point.
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

Thunderspy wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:31 pm Well it has D-rings so you can make it as slim fit as you like; it is gusseted as it's a motorbike jacket so it doesn't feel tight to you. It's perhaps just a bit more tailored than an Indy jacket.

Do you mean the distressed lamb for a Raiders? It depends if you want screen accuracy to the film or just a jacket for you; it's more of an orangey hue than the leather of Indy's jacket so I don't think it would look very like the film one. You never know, they may have photos if you ask them; I expect someone has done it at some point.
Oh sorry I meant the shrunken lamb. It looks pretty good. I also want to find a leather to match Indy V.

The distressed lamb seems like it’s basically the same as predistressed cow I think?

But yeah my size 44 standard Raiders feels fitted since I’m a bitttt chubby. Could the Skyfall still work if I lost weight?
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

Oh yeah I think the shrunken lamb is a good choice for a Raiders- from memory I think there may be a size limit on it though because it is shrunken.
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

Thunderspy wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:38 am Oh yeah I think the shrunken lamb is a good choice for a Raiders- from memory I think there may be a size limit on it though because it is shrunken.
44 should work well for me I am going to eventually lose 60lbs so it may even end up being TOO large.