Recommendations?

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

brettbarbaro
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Recommendations?

Post by brettbarbaro »

Hi all! My birthday’s coming up, and I’m itching to get a top-quality screen-accurate raiders whip to complete my outfit! I see that there are a lot of vendors listed on indygear, but I thought I would ask you guys if you had any recommendations. If at all possible, I would like to get it before Halloween.
What do you think?
:whip:
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Recommendations?

Post by IJJTM »

Super accurate and before Halloween, the latter knocks out Paul Nolan and Bernardo Del Carpio who I think make the most accurate Morgan replicas.

I would recommend Steve Townsend, not the most 100% accurate Indy out there, but he makes some of the best Indy whips cracking-wise and I don’t think his wait is too long.

https://www.townsendhandcraftedwhips.co ... e-bullwhip
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

You can try Trinity whip co as well.

Most of the whipmakers has several months waiting times. I'd look for an instock whip. Or nylon one.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Lelec is selling an original Morgan in the Cairo Bazaar. Not exactly Raiders, but the fact that it is a Morgan weighs a lot, I would say. Depends on your budget, though... :TOH:
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

tomek9210 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:59 am You can try Trinity whip co as well.

Most of the whipmakers has several months waiting times. I'd look for an instock whip. Or nylon one.
I personally wouldn’t recommend Blake at this time based on the testimony of numerous friends and even myself, it seems like 9/10 of his whips don’t respond too well, Townsend is similar in price and I would say way better when it comes to the end product.
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

IJJTM wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:51 am
tomek9210 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:59 am You can try Trinity whip co as well.

I personally wouldn’t recommend Blake at this time based on the testimony of numerous friends and even myself, it seems like 9/10 of his whips don’t respond too well, Townsend is similar in price and I would say way better when it comes to the end product.
Really? Would you share some more info on that? It may be a PM. Thanks!
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

PM sent.
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

Check out Peter Jack aka The Whip Man from NZ. Excellent whips, and he usually ships pretty quickly. He also has very reasonable prices for roo hide whips.
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

Peter Jack doesn't make screen accurate Indy whips. They may be excellent, may be cheap at the same time, but when it's about screen accuracy then he's not the right guy.
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

I have an 8ft Raiders that I made a while ago and never used that I'm putting up for sale- it's the newest (palest) in this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=71600
It's been cracked only a few times and kept well conditioned. Price would be 550Euros. PM me, if you'd like more info and more pics.
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

Brettbarbaro,

Whiskyman's whip may be your winner :whip:

Good looking, screen accurate, already made, so you will receive it before Halloween. Win win I think :TOH:
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

tomek9210 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:19 am Peter Jack doesn't make screen accurate Indy whips. They may be excellent, may be cheap at the same time, but when it's about screen accuracy then he's not the right guy.
I'd argue that it depends on how screen accurate you want - the only difference from screen accurate on mine is the upper knot isn't darker than the rest of the handle :TOH:
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

Dr. Jones, Jr. wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:28 pm
tomek9210 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:19 am Peter Jack doesn't make screen accurate Indy whips. They may be excellent, may be cheap at the same time, but when it's about screen accuracy then he's not the right guy.
I'd argue that it depends on how screen accurate you want - the only difference from screen accurate on mine is the upper knot isn't darker than the rest of the handle :TOH:
When I think about the screen accurate Indy bullwhip I have in mind:
- proper Morgan contruction (8" spike, kip core and bolsters, 2 plaited roo bellies, 12 plait roo overlay down to 6 plait)
- wide strands, so there is 45 degrees angle between braided strands
- whitehide fall
- bulky 3 pass 5x4 heelknot over the lead foundation and 5x4 2 pass knot at the end of the handle, 6 plait wrist loop
- natural tan roo
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

tomek9210 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:22 pm
When I think about the screen accurate Indy bullwhip I have in mind:
- proper Morgan contruction (8" spike, kip core and bolsters, 2 plaited roo bellies, 12 plait roo overlay down to 6 plait)
- wide strands, so there is 45 degrees angle between braided strands
- whitehide fall
- bulky 3 pass 5x4 heelknot over the lead foundation and 5x4 2 pass knot at the end of the handle, 6 plait wrist loop
- natural tan roo
I can't speak to the knot patterns as I have only made one whip and don't remember the patterns very well, and you are correct regarding the white hide fall. However, I custom ordered two bellies, twelve plait down to six, etc. and I also got natural tan roo hide from him as he had a batch in at the time. He will make a whip to your specifications provided he has the materials :whip:
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Yup, agreed! As long as it respects the general outside design and obvious details for me it's great. As long as it is a quality, functioning whip, that is! :rolling:

Would love to see some pics of your whip!
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

bearbeast wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:47 pm
Yup, agreed! As long as it respects the general outside design and obvious details for me it's great. As long as it is a quality, functioning whip, that is! :rolling:

That's my take as well - I understand people have differing personal requirements for screen accuracy, and even then for specific pieces of gear. I guess I'm more picky about the fedora and jackets as those are more commonly seen and observed up-close and also are more about the cosmetics whereas the whip is more about functionality, at least to me. For myself, "close enough" to SA would be a Wested or U.S. Wings Jacket as an example. Is it 100% identical to what is seen on screen? No. Is it closer than 99% of the other options for leather jackets? Yes. In other words, I'd call a Wested "Screen Accurate" even if the pattern is slightly off or the customer chose goat instead of lamb - I wouldn't call a J.C. Penny's jacket missing a collar or the front pockets screen accurate. In the same vein, I'd call a 8'-10' tan or brown bullwhip with a braided wrist loop at least mostly screen accurate. A single strand wrist loop or a Mexican swivel whip? Not so much.

TL:DR: Wherever you can get a quality item that lives up to your standard of screen accurate in your budget range is most likely your best option. :TOH:
bearbeast wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:47 pm Would love to see some pics of your whip!
Thanks! I'll try to post some soon. It's darkened up beautifully as I've had it for a couple years now, so it's starting to take on a more Temple of Doom look - just put some Pecard's on it the other day along with my S&J '36 and Wested boots in preparation for the rainy fall here. There's something so calming about conditioning leather. Maybe I'm just getting old :anxious:
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

Dr. Jones, Jr. wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:13 pm
That's my take as well - I understand people have differing personal requirements for screen accuracy, and even then for specific pieces of gear. I guess I'm more picky about the fedora and jackets as those are more commonly seen and observed up-close and also are more about the cosmetics whereas the whip is more about functionality, at least to me. For myself, "close enough" to SA would be a Wested or U.S. Wings Jacket as an example. Is it 100% identical to what is seen on screen? No. Is it closer than 99% of the other options for leather jackets? Yes. In other words, I'd call a Wested "Screen Accurate" even if the pattern is slightly off or the customer chose goat instead of lamb - I wouldn't call a J.C. Penny's jacket missing a collar or the front pockets screen accurate. In the same vein, I'd call a 8'-10' tan or brown bullwhip with a braided wrist loop at least mostly screen accurate. A single strand wrist loop or a Mexican swivel whip? Not so much.

TL:DR: Wherever you can get a quality item that lives up to your standard of screen accurate in your budget range is most likely your best option. :TOH:
I would say that what you are describing it is more like having an Indy vibe or being 'close enough'. Screen accuracy is literally as close as possible to what we see on screen and what was delivered by manufacturers to the filming sets.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

bearbeast wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:47 pm

bearbeast wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:47 pm Would love to see some pics of your whip!
Thanks! I'll try to post some soon. It's darkened up beautifully as I've had it for a couple years now, so it's starting to take on a more Temple of Doom look - just put some Pecard's on it the other day along with my S&J '36 and Wested boots in preparation for the rainy fall here. There's something so calming about conditioning leather. Maybe I'm just getting old :anxious:
That is really close to my standard for screen accuracy as well. Especially what you were saying about Wested jackets: Perfectly SA, for me! :TOH: they have the general pattern of the movie jacket and I really love them. Good enough for me.

Oh, there is definitely something soothing and relaxing about conditioning leather items. You see the leather get a new shine and come alive again.

Cheers,
Bear
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

tomek9210 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:16 pm

I would say that what you are describing it is more like having an Indy vibe or being 'close enough'. Screen accuracy is literally as close as possible to what we see on screen and what was delivered by manufacturers to the filming sets.
I understand what you mean, this would be pure screen accuracy, to the most minute details. On the other hand I think different people are satisfied with different levels of screen accuracy. Different strokes foe different folks!

I know some would say it's blasphemy, but I love also close-enough gear. :CR: Always fun to see what people find and collect related to Indy gear. Just my ¢2.

Cheers,
Bear
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

I've always prided myself in being screen accurate while focussing on quality workmanship and trying to follow David Morgan's example. There's no point making a whip that looks ok, but handles badly. A good whip should be GOOD!
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Of course, in terms of Cosplay, there's nothing wrong with wanting something that just looks the part hanging off a belt. That's just a different requirement- and in that case, paying for a quality whip would be a waste of money and good leather.
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

whiskyman wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:01 pm I've always prided myself in being screen accurate while focussing on quality workmanship and trying to follow David Morgan's example. There's no point making a whip that looks ok, but handles badly. A good whip should be GOOD!
Beautiful work! Forgive my ignorance but do you have a website? I tried the one in your bio but the link seems to be dead for me.
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

No, I don't have a website anymore.I used to have one and used to take orders, but I haven't been an active whipmaker as such for some years. These days I make one once in a blue moon just to keep the knowledge and skills alive.
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

whiskyman wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:26 pm No, I don't have a website anymore.I used to have one and used to take orders, but I haven't been an active whipmaker as such for some years. These days I make one once in a blue moon just to keep the knowledge and skills alive.
Understood. Gorgeous work nonetheless! :TOH:
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

whiskyman wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:01 pm I've always prided myself in being screen accurate while focussing on quality workmanship and trying to follow David Morgan's example. There's no point making a whip that looks ok, but handles badly. A good whip should be GOOD!
Magnificent whip, Whiskyman! :TOH:

Cheers,
Bear
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Thanks - it's a 10ft in natural tan that I made for myself to keep several years ago when I thought I might not make any more.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

That's really cool, Whiskyman!

I only ever made a few whips, a few in paracord, a few in cowhide, the last ones in roohide. I always say "this is the last one I make", as I have quite painful tendonitis and my elbows suffer greatly when plaiting. But each time I get a yearning to make a new one, even if just a small one, then I end up caving in and doing it. And I remember why I stopped when aching starts. :rolling:
brettbarbaro
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by brettbarbaro »

whiskyman wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:18 pm I have an 8ft Raiders that I made a while ago and never used that I'm putting up for sale- it's the newest (palest) in this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=71600
It's been cracked only a few times and kept well conditioned. Price would be 550Euros. PM me, if you'd like more info and more pics.
Sounds awesome! I am honored by your offer. I will PM you for details. Thanks!
Indiana Charles
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Charles »

Looks like you found an excellent piece :tup:
Beautiful work whiskyman :clap:

For others who are on the lookout: Josh at CatchallCrafts on Etsy does great work.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CatchallCrafts

He is quick, very communicative and I believe he is also a member here. Offers OT and KOTCS (if something isn't there check back later as he makes them one at a time)

- I.C.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Wow, he does make some gorgeous whips, I don't remember hearing of him before. Thanks for sharing! :TOH:
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Indiana Charles wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:41 am Looks like you found an excellent piece :tup:
Beautiful work whiskyman :clap:

For others who are on the lookout: Josh at CatchallCrafts on Etsy does great work.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CatchallCrafts

He is quick, very communicative and I believe he is also a member here. Offers OT and KOTCS (if something isn't there check back later as he makes them one at a time)

- I.C.
I’m sorry to be the contrarian, but I cracked one of his 8-foots a few times last year, and I felt like quality wise it wasn’t there. But, he’s probably improved over the last year. I don’t know. :-k
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Oh, I was only judging by the looks, IJJTM. :-k Handling one clearly says way more than looking at a pic. Looks can be, and in this case are, deceiving.

Cheers,
Bear
MCINTOSH275
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by MCINTOSH275 »

I recommend Giovanni Celeste, I recently received one of his from Raiders and it's incredible...

https://giovanniceleste.it/en/catalog/w ... ones-whip/

He is a person who will attend you very kindly answering all your questions and will inform you of the progress...

This is the whip he made for me...

A greetings... :TOH: