Wested Legacy Hero (Lambskin) vs Custom Hero (shrunken lambskin)

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

LetHerGo888
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Wested Legacy Hero (Lambskin) vs Custom Hero (shrunken lambskin)

Post by LetHerGo888 »

I’m going a bit nuts here folks. I just rec’d my second Custom Hero trying to correct the sizing errors I made on my first Custom Hero.

The fit still isn’t right so I’m going back in for a THIRD TIME (gotta love that no-return-on-Custom policy).

What’s driving me nuts is whether or not to go Legacy on Round 3.

I love the texture of my two shrunken lamb misfires but color-wise they’re way more brown than the RotLA screen version, which leans way more grey/black.

The Legacy appeals to me cuz it looks like they finally nailed the screen color.

But I thought shrunken lamb was THE leather used to make the RotLA screen jackets? Is that true or just marketing verbiage? The Legacy only comes in regular lambskin.

Does the Legacy lamb feel, hang, distress or play differently? The Legacy lamb sure looks heavier and thicker in photos.

Any insight would be hugely appreciated!

Making these purchases at three bills a pop without being able to see or try them on in person is driving me bonkers. Thanks!
donovan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Wested Legacy Hero (Lambskin) vs Custom Hero (shrunken lambskin)

Post by donovan »

I think Wested said the Legacy lambs skin was the closest to the skin used on the original raiders jacket - and should distress in the same way.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Understand distressing may mean jumping in a river and wearing it in Saharan sun and 100 degree plus heat. The legacy leather is close… certainly not a match, but with today’s tanning processes, not bad. I found it slightly weightier, but only slightly. Don’t feel bad about getting the fit right. The cut is a bit wonky and it takes a while to close in on making that cut feel right on you.

As for the color, mostly due to the lighting and filters used in the film. It was actually more on the brown side, but I agree, I tend towards the color in my mind’s eye that I saw on screen that was dark.
LetHerGo888
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by LetHerGo888 »

Tibor wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:56 am Understand distressing may mean jumping in a river and wearing it in Saharan sun and 100 degree plus heat. The legacy leather is close… certainly not a match, but with today’s tanning processes, not bad. I found it slightly weightier, but only slightly. Don’t feel bad about getting the fit right. The cut is a bit wonky and it takes a while to close in on making that cut feel right on you.

As for the color, mostly due to the lighting and filters used in the film. It was actually more on the brown side, but I agree, I tend towards the color in my mind’s eye that I saw on screen that was dark.
Thank you both for weighing in.

So Tibor, did they actually tint this one to mimic the screen jacket in lighting context??
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

I just think they responded to people like us who preferred the color that they saw on screen. This first photo shows the Hawaii jacket in a different light

This is one of the jackets 35 years or so after filming
LetHerGo888
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by LetHerGo888 »

Tibor wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:53 pm I just think they responded to people like us who preferred the color that they saw on screen. This first photo shows the Hawaii jacket in a different light

Super interesting. Wow, that jacket looks exactly like an outta the box Hero, doesn’t it?!

Also, that old original… is that unbelievable decay caused by acetone weathering? Pretty sure I’m gonna go for the Legacy now, and I’m pretty sure it’ll be my first to get the acetone… but boy am I nervous about it…
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Well, the aging is not so unexpected considering it’s lambskin and wasn’t treated gently. The rippling over the pockets and elsewhere was due to adhesive backing tape and looked much that way when new. This looks like the truck chase jacket as the squib tear on the upper sleeve is present. Deb Nadoolman said she used a pen knife and other methods to get rid of the new appearance. I wouldn’t be surprised if she used some acetate, but it’s more likely the hard use during production and age are just very evident.

Pretty certain Harrison wore at least 3, and likely 4 different jackets during the filming and there were a number of others for the stunt guys - I think a total of 10 jackets or so overall and it’s clear there were variations, probably not just in collar and pocket flaps, but maybe hide color as well.
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

Does anyone else feel washed lamb would look more accurate with the grain and striations? Can the Legacy Hero be purchased in washed?
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Hmmm… risky. Washed lamb batches sometime come out with very pronounced, exaggerated grain. If it’s subtle it can be pretty close but I’ve mostly seen the heavier grain show up. Guess you could ask them.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Like Tibor said, washed lamb is hit and miss. As far as getting a Legacy in that skin, yes and no. The Legacy jackets are the same pattern as the regular Hero jackets, just with the Legacy leather and generally some updated hardware and labels. BUT you can ask for a Hero in what skin you want with the Legacy hardware and labels and they'll usually deliver. A few people have done it.
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

Ok cool so I was just about to order a hero in washed lambskin.

1) am I making a mistake by getting washed lamb? I really like how weathered it looks in pics it reminds me of Raiders

2) so is the legacy basically just a more accurate and up to date version of the hero?
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

SFGiant wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:34 pm Ok cool so I was just about to order a hero in washed lambskin.

1) am I making a mistake by getting washed lamb? I really like how weathered it looks in pics it reminds me of Raiders

2) so is the legacy basically just a more accurate and up to date version of the hero?
If the striations are the most important thing to you, then get the washed lamb. I've seen some great results, but I've also heard tales of it being prone to tearing -- the washed and shrunken lambs are thinner and generally the least robust, but they are light and soft and will take on the distressing more readily. Just understand that some batches are more striated than others; the "dinosaur skin" description can be appropriate. Back in the day Wested offered a washed goat that was really striated, as well as Nowak offering a similar one, and there have been a few others as well, and not everyone liked that level of striation.
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

Illinois_Jones wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:32 am
SFGiant wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:34 pm Ok cool so I was just about to order a hero in washed lambskin.

If the striations are the most important thing to you, then get the washed lamb. I've seen some great results, but I've also heard tales of it being prone to tearing -- the washed and shrunken lambs are thinner and generally the least robust, but they are light and soft and will take on the distressing more readily. Just understand that some batches are more striated than others; the "dinosaur skin" description can be appropriate. Back in the day Wested offered a washed goat that was really striated, as well as Nowak offering a similar one, and there have been a few others as well, and not everyone liked that level of striation.
I'm not sure I like the super dinosaur skin thing actually now that I think about it. Can the legacy lambskin get striated after a while, or look accurate anyway?
MikeMac
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MikeMac »

Hi there everyone,

I apologize in advance for the length of this post, but I’m looking for suggestions!

I’ve been considering a Raiders Legacy. I’m 5’11 180 with a 42 inch chest, and weigh about 180. I’m fairly lean, and I fear the Raiders coat would just be too large and boxy. I’m looking for a slimmer somewhat tapered look (and these coats seem to fit that way based on some pictures).

Should I go for a size 40?

The coat I’m wearing has the following measurements:

Back: 27 inches (without collar)
Shoulder: 5.75 inches
Sleeve: 26 inches
Pit to pit: 23 inches

Any guidance is greatly appreciated!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

Tibor wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:53 pm I just think they responded to people like us who preferred the color that they saw on screen. This first photo shows the Hawaii jacket in a different light

Which of Wested's leather would accurately portray that a bit lighter, chocolatey brown?

Also please respond to the post above mine by MikeMac so it doesn't get bypassed.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

SFGiant wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:24 am
Illinois_Jones wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:32 am

I'm not sure I like the super dinosaur skin thing actually now that I think about it. Can the legacy lambskin get striated after a while, or look accurate anyway?
All of them are going to wrinkle and crinkle. The striations you see in the actual film jacket are the marks from the sheep's ribs. Wested does not stock that skin; only S&J and BK manage to source it. What you see in something like the washed lamb is the natural grain being exaggerated in the tanning and finishing process.

As for the color, many of their skins are lighter. But none of them but the Legacy have that orange rust undertone which is what you see coming thru over time. I don't think they stock the copper novapelle anymore. Most chrome tanned leathers are grey underneath the top dye coat. There's always the route many have taken: re-dying it yourself.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

MikeMac wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:30 am Hi there everyone,

I apologize in advance for the length of this post, but I’m looking for suggestions!

I’ve been considering a Raiders Legacy. I’m 5’11 180 with a 42 inch chest, and weigh about 180. I’m fairly lean, and I fear the Raiders coat would just be too large and boxy. I’m looking for a slimmer somewhat tapered look (and these coats seem to fit that way based on some pictures).

Should I go for a size 40?

The coat I’m wearing has the following measurements:

Back: 27 inches (without collar)
Shoulder: 5.75 inches
Sleeve: 26 inches
Pit to pit: 23 inches

Any guidance is greatly appreciated!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The jacket is made to be boxy and ill-fitting. If you want a normal fitting jacket just get a standard OTR one. A 42 will fit just like that one.
abbaforever2001@yahoo.com
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by abbaforever2001@yahoo.com »

Is the raiders legacy meant to be boxy and ill fitting or v shaped at the waist? I am a size 38, five foot seven 150 lbs with relatively athletic trim (good shoulders, 32 inch waist) will the legacy look ridiculous on me? The pictures on the website appear to be a very trim jacket! Thanks!
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Order your chest measurement 38, or go up in size for a more relaxed fit. Backklength should be 23-24"
sapper36
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by sapper36 »

Can anyone explain the box stitching and gusset options on these jackets?
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

sapper36 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:28 pm Can anyone explain the box stitching and gusset options on these jackets?
The guessers are little football shape patches they put in the underarms to add range of movement.
sapper36
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by sapper36 »

So the underarm gussets would not be accurate to an original jacket?

Any thoughts on the box stitches?
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Underarm gussett is correct for Raiders.

Box stitching is a choice, but what comes as default, K-box stitch, is correct too, and standard.