First try at a sandbag

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

First try at a sandbag

Post by bearbeast »

After making the Chachapoyan idol, the next logical step was to get the sand-bag. Or rather, to make it. I saw that Magnoli's was made out of chamois leather and that convinced me to go the same way, as I love working with leather. I found an auto shop that was selling chamois leather wipes for shinning your car and they were just big enough to make a bag out of them.

The search for grommets was a bit tedious as I did not want to order online from my usual leather supply stores due to shipping times and costs. I found 11 mm eyelets and 6 mm eyelets at some local hardware and tailoring stores. The lady at the tailoring store also sold me a grommet installation tool, which I realized the next day it was just a punch for the holes, not a grommet setter. Luckily I actually had a tool at home for installing 6 mm grommets already, without realizing it. But for my first try I felt like using the 11 mm, just thought they looked nicer.

It didn't come out perfect, due to the somewhat stretchy leather, I messed up the sewing, but at least it resembles the sandbag. And I think I know how to fix the next version. :-k

I plan to use it to carry stuff in my shoulder bag, which should give it an aged look in no time.

Cheers,
Bear
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: First try at a sandbag

Post by Canyon »

Hey, I like that very much! Good job! :clap:
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: First try at a sandbag

Post by bearbeast »

Canyon wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:25 pm Hey, I like that very much! Good job! :clap:
Thank you loads, Canyon! :TOH: