Anyone heard from Paul Nolan of MidWest Whips recently?

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

tubasthebest
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Anyone heard from Paul Nolan of MidWest Whips recently?

Post by tubasthebest »

I hadn’t heard anything about my order for a few months, so I sent an email two weeks ago just looking for a status update, but I have yet to hear back. Previously he was very good about responding in a day or so.

I’m quite a few months past his quoted lead time from when I placed the order. I’m not worried about that as I understand things happen, just more concerned about the lack of response now. Hoping he is doing well! If you have heard from him lately, it’d be nice to hear just so I know he’s still out there.
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Anyone heard from Paul Nolan of MidWest Whips recently?

Post by tomek9210 »

I heard he is super busy lately and he does everything on his own without any help (he doesn't hire any worker).

I placed my order in January and received it in May, more or less after given waiting time.

Maybe try calling him? I think there is a number on his website.
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

tomek9210 wrote:I heard he is super busy lately and he does everything on his own without any help (he doesn't hire any worker).

I placed my order in January and received it in May, more or less after given waiting time.

Maybe try calling him? I think there is a number on his website.
I agree that he does all the work himself these days...out of his apartment. That's what he told me earlier this year.... because of COVID-19. My experience also is that he gets busy for a while and forgets to communicate. But his product is great!
tubasthebest
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by tubasthebest »

Well, I'm getting a bit more concerned now. I still have not heard from him regarding my order.

Before I placed my order I asked for current lead times, and was quoted 4-6 weeks, which I was surprised by but happy about. So I placed my order that day on Feb 2. I sent an email to follow up on May 6, and got a response on May 14 that he estimated my whip would ship "sometime next week." No communication has been received since then. I emailed on Jul 26, then again on Aug 20, to no response. I called and left a message to the number on his site on 09/02, and still no response.

Its been a crazy year for a lot of people. I just hope he is still out there and doing well. Still hoping to receive my order, because all I have heard is good things. I guess I'm getting anxious as the whip is the last thing I need before Halloween...
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

Hmm, that's weird. The whip probably hasn't been shipped. When mine was sent out, I got the notification from the USPS.
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

Any news :-k ?
tubasthebest
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by tubasthebest »

Still no response...
tubasthebest
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by tubasthebest »

Sent another email today. Still haven't gotten a response since the May update.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

:-k I’ll bring it up with one of my friends who knows Paul.
tubasthebest
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by tubasthebest »

Thank you! I appreciate that a lot.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

All I got was that he’s been backed up due to traveling a lot, had some personal stuff, and got sick for a while. Sorry I couldn’t be much more help.
tubasthebest
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by tubasthebest »

Thank you so much for the information! That is all I wanted to know. I'm not upset at all about the delays, just wish the communication was a bit better. I'm glad to hear that he is still out there, and hope to hear more about my order eventually.

Thanks IJJTM, I appreciate your help! :TOH:
tubasthebest
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by tubasthebest »

I have now received communication from Paul. Thank you all for your help!
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

Ufff, finally! I hope everything will be smooth now and the package will arrive safe and sound.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Keep us updated on when you get it. :TOH:
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

Yeah! Great news! I'm relieved for you.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Did Paul happen to give you an ETA?
tubasthebest
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by tubasthebest »

Not exactly an ETA, but he said he was starting on a big batch of 1936 whips in the next week (this was on Nov 2, so presumably last week) and that my whip would be included in that batch. Although he said a similar thing in May, so I'm not sure.
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

I hope you will get your whip soon. They are awesome, super screen accurate and totally worth the wait.
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

I hope you do too. I am considering a Nolan, and could use a little confidence before proceeding.
tubasthebest
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by tubasthebest »

Coming up on a year and 2 months since I paid for my whip order. Still no whip, still patiently waiting. Just updating this thread for those considering ordering.
Loneken
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Loneken »

Are you getting any updates on your order at least? The consignment section of the website has been updated so somebody is still running the business.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

I just saw Paul last Saturday, the way he describes it is that if he’s not answering emails, he’s making whips and vice versa. If you send me a message on the first of April, or another boost to this post I’ll most likely be able to ask him about your whip the next day. He’s just got a TON of whips he’s working on, even when I last saw him he brought a signal and snake whip he was working on for a customer that he kept braiding on. :whip:
tubasthebest
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by tubasthebest »

Loneken wrote:Are you getting any updates on your order at least? The consignment section of the website has been updated so somebody is still running the business.
Yes, I have been getting updates when I email every few months. He has been much quicker at responding lately. I just got the latest email this morning. All his communication has been professional and polite. He has explained the delays as personal issues. So, yes his business is up and running, the turn around times are just longer than he has quoted.
IJJTM wrote:I just saw Paul last Saturday, the way he describes it is that if he’s not answering emails, he’s making whips and vice versa. If you send me a message on the first of April, or another boost to this post I’ll most likely be able to ask him about your whip the next day. He’s just got a TON of whips he’s working on, even when I last saw him he brought a signal and snake whip he was working on for a customer that he kept braiding on. :whip:
Glad to hear you saw Paul out and about, and working on whips no less! I appreciate your offer to ask him about it in person, but with the latest email I received I don't feel that is necessary. Thank you for your help.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

No problem, I’m glad you heard back from him. :whip:
Parttimeteacher
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Parttimeteacher »

I ordered a 1936 Indy (10') from Paul a few years ago. It did take a bit longer than originally estimated and I had some of the same concerns that you expressed, but with his prices, I don't think he can keep a secretary to answer emails. He does great work and I love the whip that I got from him. I'm confident that he's working on it and that he'll deliver a great whip.
tubasthebest
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by tubasthebest »

I am extremely happy to report the end of this saga! The 1936 8ft bullwhip is finally in my possession having been delivered today. This was the last bit of gear I needed to complete my collection. Paul originally quoted my 4-6 weeks when I placed my order, just 76 weeks and 5 days later it arrived! I have no hard feelings about it, just want to let other people know my experience.

IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

tubasthebest wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:07 pm I am extremely happy to report the end of this saga! The 1936 8ft bullwhip is finally in my possession having been delivered today. This was the last bit of gear I needed to complete my collection. Paul originally quoted my 4-6 weeks when I placed my order, just 76 weeks and 5 days later it arrived! I have no hard feelings about it, just want to let other people know my experience.

Looks great! But how does she sound?
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

tubasthebest wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:07 pm I am extremely happy to report the end of this saga! The 1936 8ft bullwhip is finally in my possession having been delivered today. This was the last bit of gear I needed to complete my collection. Paul originally quoted my 4-6 weeks when I placed my order, just 76 weeks and 5 days later it arrived! I have no hard feelings about it, just want to let other people know my experience.

Very glad and relieved your story had a happy ending. The whip looks really great! :TOH: What do you think about it? Do you like it?

Cheers,
Bear
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

Finally! Sick waiting time though. Could you make a video?
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

I just ordered that exact same whip from him a few days ago. I sent him an email asking what the wait time was for the order and I haven't heard anything. I didn't even really get any kind of notice in my email from him directly that he received my order and the payment even though it shows that it was charged to my account. :-k
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

He’s a REALLY busy guy. But I can ask him about your order next time I see him.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

IJJTM wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:13 pm He’s a REALLY busy guy. But I can ask him about your order next time I see him.
I'm sure he is if he's the only one working on the orders. :shock: I'd appreciate it. :TOH:
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Right now that's my main concern. IF this is going to be something where it's over a year before I can get my whip then I'd just rather get my money back and cancel the order. :?

At the moment though I'm just kinda left hanging.
Last edited by Pitfall Harry on Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Pitfall Harry wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:37 am I'm usually a pretty patient person but I ordered my whip on July 26th and I still haven't gotten any notification or even a response back via email that my order was even received. I've emailed him twice because it says on the site THAT is the best way to reach him. Usually when I buy something I get a response back from the seller letting me know they have my order and what the time frame is for the delivery......with this I'm just left dead in the water. :?

If he's that busy then stop and take a moment and update the site. Put something on there indicating the wait time.....

Right now that's my main concern. IF this is going to be something where it's over a year before I can get my whip then I'd just rather get my money back and cancel the order. :?

At the moment though I'm just kinda left hanging.
You’ll definitely get your whip, but it probably will be about a year before it arrives. The way he once explained it to me is he’s either spending his time making whips, or he’s spending his time answering emails, and since the former is his actual job, that’s what he spends more time doing.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Just a bit of a follow up.

I did get a hold of Paul and he's had some things pop up that kept him away from the shop. He's doing well and if anyone, like myself, has ordered anything from him recently he'll be back working on the orders soon. :TOH: