Looking for Indy Pants with a modern cut

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

mooniteman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Looking for Indy Pants with a modern cut

Post by mooniteman »

Hey all!

As the title says - was wondering if there is anyone out there offering Indy pants with a less baggin' saggin' Barry cut.

The high waist & droopy crotch that most seem to have is not the most flattering. I'd rather have something that fits a bit more like modern pants than the Fred Mertz accuracy.

Thoughts? Reccomendations?

Does Indy just have HUGE Sankara stones?

-Moony
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Looking for Indy Pants with a modern cut

Post by IJJTM »

I would talk with Magnoli about this, he’d probably be your best bet.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

what are Indy pants without the high waist, low crotch and baggy fit? :-k

I'd think at that rate, some light brown/dark khaki pleated pants from the local store would fit the bill. Maybe with some back pocket flaps added and bobs your uncle. :TOH:

I can't imagine some expensive custom made Indy pants with an altered pattern would look much different than modern store bought pants anyways :-k
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Yeah, you might want to ask the store clerk if they have trousers in cavalry twill. The material is what makes it.
tubasthebest
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by tubasthebest »

I would think you could take any of the current Indy pants offerings to a tailor to take in some fabric on the legs. Not sure how well it would turn out, but may be worth a try.
mooniteman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mooniteman »

Thanks for the answers guys!

I might try out something like this to see how they feel:

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/63019?p ... Tan&pos=22

Not the most accurate, but pretty darn close!

I'm more concerned with it suiting my body type and style vs total accuracy here.
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Many folks have those trousers, myself included. I really like them but I feel they are a little baggy. Could be just me. Good choice though.
zeus36
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by zeus36 »

Those Chinos from LL Bean are not a good choice for Indy Pants. Go with wool Cavalry twill. You can read up on it here:

https://dieworkwear.com/2018/12/15/bett ... -trousers/
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Let me clarify, good choice for trousers in general, pretty well made. Not exactly screen accurate, didn't mean to imply they were. But they're comfy in a variety of climates and situations... therefore a good choice.
mooniteman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mooniteman »

zeus36 wrote:Those Chinos from LL Bean are not a good choice for Indy Pants. Go with wool Cavalry twill. You can read up on it here:

https://dieworkwear.com/2018/12/15/bett ... -trousers/
Yeah not looking for "accurate" outside of the back pockets. I have accurate pants but they don't suit me and my shape. Just looking for something that feels right with a modern cut.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I was going to refer you to those LLBean trousers. I had a previous version of these for years and years. Literally wore them out.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
MikeMac
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MikeMac »

mooniteman wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:07 pm Hey all!

As the title says - was wondering if there is anyone out there offering Indy pants with a less baggin' saggin' Barry cut.

The high waist & droopy crotch that most seem to have is not the most flattering. I'd rather have something that fits a bit more like modern pants than the Fred Mertz accuracy.

Thoughts? Reccomendations?

Does Indy just have HUGE Sankara stones?

-Moony
I'm a little late on this post, but I picked up a pair of these: https://www.amazon.com/Wrangler-Authent ... C88&sr=8-1

They are not screen accurate in terms of pockets, hem, etc. But, they certainly feel like a modern take on Indy pants. They appear dark at first, but in the sunlight, they seem to have a slightly pinkish tint.
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

A couple of years ago (Fall 2020), I saw some real cool pants at a Dillard's store in the mall. What caught my eye was that they were made of cavalry twill but they were 5 pocket jeans style. They were made by Hart Schaffner & Marx. They were selling for $95 a pair but over a couple of months, I was able to buy three pairs at half price each when they went on sale.

Colors I got were khaki, dark brown and light gray. They are absolutely my favorite pairs of pants! Very comfortable, a tiny bit of stretch and look great! They also had navy blue, stone and I think they had an olive green at one point. When I went back to look for more, they were all gone.

Unfortunately, Dillard's does not carry the pants any more in cavalry twill. Recently, when I checked they only have them in a rather plain cotton twill.