Steele and Jones vs Advintage

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Nickboss9936
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Steele and Jones vs Advintage

Post by Nickboss9936 »

Hi everyone! I'm brand new to COW, but I'm loving it so far. I've become obsessed with the raiders fedora. I just got out of the military and as a celebration purchase I'm looking to buy my first Indy hat!
I've narrowed my options down to the Steele and Jones raiders 36, and the Advintage Harrison fedora.
I love the look of the Advintage Fedora, and the price, but they are out of stock in my size. I also can't decide between Sable and Raiders sable. Both look incredible. Thomas has been so nice and responsive to my emails and says the next shipment comes in January. As Tom Petty once said, " the waiting is the hardest part."

The Steele and Jones Raiders fedora looks incredible and I've heard nothing but good things so far. $250-$300 isn't horrible for me, as long as I can wear it out as a beater like I plan on doing. I'd hate to ruin it if it isn't made to be worn regularly.
I also wonder what the difference is between the explorador classic and the explorador Superior? I'd be going with the jungle/ raven bar cleaner style if I had to choose a specific scene. How long would the wait be on that too?

I'm very torn on which Fedora I should purchase, and any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
Thank y'all
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Steele and Jones vs Advintage

Post by IJJTM »

Hey Nick, welcome to the club! Seeing as you’re going between S&J and an Advintage Harrison I would recommend you go with S&J. Both are great hats, but S&J has more characteristics that’ll be better in the long run, it’s a very tough hat for one, and Roberto won’t just make a hat to Ford’s specs, he’ll shape a hat to fit your face. As for which version, other people correct me if I’m wrong, but I think it’s pretty much the liner, and Roberto puts more attention to detail on the Superior. Seeing as you want a clean Raven’s Bar or Temple hat, I would recommend going with the standard. I’d reach out to Roberto to see the current wait time. That’s my two cents, take care and good luck!
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Well if you are indeed looking for something you can wear the heck out of I wouldn't necessarily recommend the Harrison. It's a great hat for the price and has the right look but it is better for cosplay and not wearing every day out in the elements. It's a decent, entry level, basic rabbit felt but it will taper and wear out rather quickly. I would recommend the Fed IV first in that price range if your focus is more on EDC wearing and adventure etc. Especially if you don't have much experience with fur felt.

The S&J is the next step above and at this point a real bargain for a truly custom lid. They are hare, at least they used to be, which is generally regarded as more rugged and durable than rabbit. But the big thing is that Roberto will shape and style it how you want and what's best for your face, which is really important for an open crown virgin.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Hey, Nick! Welcome aboard.

If you don’t mind sharing, how often do you see yourself wearing this fedora, what is the max price you’re willing to spend, and what is your hat size?

S&J makes a fantastic hat, especially for the price. I wouldn’t even compare a S&J fedora and a Harrison as they are in different classes. That said, you might be short changing yourself on the options you’ve narrowed to.

Happy to help broaden your horizons a bit with some more detail.
Nickboss9936
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Nickboss9936 »

Thank y'all for the input! I'm really leaning towards the Steele and Jones now. I'm not sure how often I'd be wearing it, but I usually always bring a hat with me when I go anywhere, so it will come with me quite often haha. The most I'm willing to spend rn is probably around $300 and that's at the very most. I've never really done a cosplay of anything before. I do go to a lot of comicons although. (my dad used to set up at them and sell vintage toys.)
Today is my 21st birthday actually so about 2 weeks ago I ordered the FZ merchandise cowhide Indy jacket from Amazon and since I've got the jacket I've got to get this hat now haha.
The jacket hasn't arrived yet sadly, but still should be a good bday gift to myself.

I'm not positive. But when I measured my head it's around 58-59cm. Every time I measure it, it's a different number haha must be my fault.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

First, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Second, get someone ELSE to measure your head and take the readings for you. Saves all the guesswork.

Third......HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! :M:

Regard! Michaelson
Nickboss9936
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Nickboss9936 »

Thank you Michaelson! :whip:
Nickboss9936
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Nickboss9936 »

I'm pondering on the Fed IV now... so many choices!
I'm almost 100% positive I'd f up the bashing job on an open crown hat though. I do not trust myself at all on that haha.
](*,)
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

The only reason you should go with the Fed IV is the price. Everything else is better on S&J.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

IJJTM wrote:The only reason you should go with the Fed IV is the price. Everything else is better on S&J.
Agree with IJJTM there. S&J will make you a fantastic hat that is more screen accurate than a Fed IV. The Fed IV is more comparable to the Advintage Harrison than to S&J, as both are ready made hats in general sizes. S&J will have you measure your head and send pictures in order to custom make a hat based to whatever movie and scene you prefer.
Nickboss9936
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Nickboss9936 »

Awesome. Do they do the customization for the classic line hats? Or just the superior hats? If y'all don't know it's okay lol

I emailed Roberto yesterday and haven't gotten a reply yet.
I'm sure the weekend has something to do with it haha.

On another note my FZ Merchandise jacket came in today! It's pretty awesome for the money. A bit small, but it almost fits perfectly.
I'll post some pictures in the jacket thread tomorrow!
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Nickboss9936 wrote:Awesome. Do they do the customization for the classic line hats? Or just the superior hats? If y'all don't know it's okay lol

I emailed Roberto yesterday and haven't gotten a reply yet.
I'm sure the weekend has something to do with it haha.

On another note my FZ Merchandise jacket came in today! It's pretty awesome for the money. A bit small, but it almost fits perfectly.
I'll post some pictures in the jacket thread tomorrow!
Yes they customize both the standard and superior hats. The different between the two is the sweatband material and construction, liner style, and stitching methods for the ribbon work. To the untrained eye, and even a lot of trained eyes, you wouldn’t notice a difference between the two other than the look of the interior. Shaping to your preference is included, and as last I checked, so is weathering if you want it.
Nickboss9936
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Nickboss9936 »

Thanks so much chosepoorly!

If we're all in agreement on the S&J then it's definitely my choice.

As soon as Roberto gets back to me I'm placing an order.

\:D/ :clap:
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

Good decision. If it's within your budget to go with a custom fitted hat (Steele & Jones) made to your liking, that's almost always preferable to an off the rack hat, no matter how lovely.

I have a custom AdVintage hat made of beaver felt, and it is truly out of this world, but it's the next level up for your budget. You will always need to consider what you want to spend, how often you plan to wear, and function (everyday wear vs. cosplay) to make your decision.

Based on what you've said, and where I gather you are in your Gear Journey, you've chosen wisely.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

You won't be disappointed. Please remember to update us when your hat arrives!
Nickboss9936
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Nickboss9936 »

Sounds good y'all! \:D/

I'm talking to Roberto now about getting my sizes correct. I'm almost positive a 59.5 cm would be the most comfortable size, but the classic line exploradors only come in full sizes. So I'm left to pick between a 58cm (the tightest I can get the measure around my head), 59cm (measure fit snug around my head but if it shrinks it might be a little uncomfortable.) And 60cm (measure was kinda big and loose around my head)

Roberto is definitely helping me out through this head size crisis though haha.

I'm going with a jungle/Raven bar clean look too! I'm not a big fan of the cowboy curl on the idol Grab hat unfortunately, even though it's still epic.

I'll keep you guys posted!
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

If you’re a 59.5 get a 6p and stuff the hat brim with paper towels or something similar to even it out.
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

Nickboss9936 wrote:I'm going with a jungle/Raven bar clean look too! I'm not a big fan of the cowboy curl on the idol Grab hat unfortunately, even though it's still epic.
Superb choice! And iconic! It was the reference used in the movie poster: http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... lit=+amsel
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Agree with IJJTM on sizing up to 60cm. Assuming the hat will have the Raiders turn, it will fit more snug than a hat without the turn by default, so the extra 0.5cm should be exactly what you need for the perfect fit, even without any sweatband stuffing perhaps.
Nickboss9936
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Nickboss9936 »

Thank y'all so much for all the input.
I just ordered my hovitos (poster style) 60cm Steele and Jones fedora!!!!!

I'm so excited to see the pictures when Roberto is finished.
He's an amazing guy as well. The absolute best customer service I've ever gotten through any form of purchase.

I just really hope everything comes out like I'm hoping it will.
I requested a clean hovitos Temple style (the options given to me for the classic fedora lines were; hovitos Temple, and Raven bar. Both can be distressed for free or clean (I requested mine clean.) ) Without the cowboy curls and with the raiders turn.

I can't wait

:[
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Nickboss9936 wrote:Thank y'all so much for all the input.

He's an amazing guy as well. The absolute best customer service I've ever gotten through any form of purchase.

I requested a clean hovitos Temple style (the options given to me for the classic fedora lines were; hovitos Temple, and Raven bar. Both can be distressed for free or clean (I requested mine clean.) ) Without the cowboy curls and with the raiders turn.

I can't wait

Sounds like one good looking lid. Can’t wait to see it!
Nickboss9936
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Nickboss9936 »

I'm a little worried now. I tried on a 7 1/2 hat today and it's kinda big :shock:

I really hope this hat fits.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

What kind of hat was it? Does it have the Raiders Turn?
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

What kind of hat? A baseball hat? Did it have a leather sweatband? If your S&J has the turn it will fit slightly tighter anyway. And hats in general will tighten up with wear. If it's slightly big then it's no problem. But if it's BIG as in over a centimeter too big then it could be an issue. But they make spacers, and it's generally better to be a little big than small.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Don’t trust those measurements they change meaning depending on the country just stick with what the measuring tape said for your head.
Raider Of The Lost Ark
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Raider Of The Lost Ark »

Nickboss9936 wrote:Thank y'all so much for all the input.

I can't wait

I apologise in advance, for what will likely be considered a stupid question. I too am a fan of the hat, as depicted in Mr Adams’s artwork. I understand it is the hat seen at the very start of the film. So I can appreciate it being called the ‘jungle’ fedora. I also understood it had no turn. If a fedora has the turn, doesn’t that make it, by default, a ‘streets of Cairo’ hat? I’m sorry but the more I think about it the more confused I get.
Nickboss9936
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Nickboss9936 »

Sorry for the late reply y'all, but yes, it's a stetson cowboy hat my grandfather owned and it does have a sweatband. It's a 7 1/2 hatsize.
My "jungle" fedora will have the turn so like y'all said, I shouldn't worry too much.

My grandfather wore this hat a lot, but it's not broken in at all. It's wobly on my head lol he used to be a ranch owner and he just gave it to me. Its also wool and feels like Plastic :/ so idk lol
Nickboss9936
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Nickboss9936 »

And Raider, I have researched the "jungle" hat only a little bit, but
From what I've read and seen, the jungle hat and the hovitos Temple hat are not the same. The jungle hat is cleaner and has no cowboy curl, whereas the hovitos hat does. I believe it does have a little bit of a turn in it because of the shape of the brim and the bow being closer to the front.

I kinda just threw everything together with my hat tbh lol I wanted an overall raiders hat that got the feel of the first couple of scenes.

All I'm worried about now is having to balance it on my head when it gets here lol I'm going to measure my head again.
Nickboss9936
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Nickboss9936 »

Yep, 60cm on the tap fits a little loose but comfortable. Just going to have a little faith. :)
thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by thecoolmiester »

I have a few Advintage and I have a Steele and Jones on order which should be in production here in the next month so I’ll do a nice comparison when I get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Nickboss9936 wrote:Yep, 60cm on the tap fits a little loose but comfortable. Just going to have a little faith. :)
Between the turn snugging things up a bit, the fact that your S&J will likely be much more precise in measurement than any Stetson, and the felt Roberto uses being much softer and more pliable than it sounds like your Grandfather's hat is, you should be fine. If it feels looser than you'd like, just fold some paper towels and pad the sweatband a bit. The S&J is pure wild hare fur and both the felt and sweatband will shrink a bit over time. You're better off having a bit of ease when it's new so it fits properly when it breaks in. And, of course, if you have enough room you can always fold the sweatband over to make it more snug, and more screen accurate. :TOH:
EricEPickett
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by EricEPickett »

Completely thanks to this thread and am in the process of ordering a Steele and Jones hat as well. These forums have been so helpful. Thanks for starting this thread NickBoss. I can't wait to see your S&J when it comes in!
tubasthebest
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by tubasthebest »

Welcome to the forum! What hat model and shape did you order from S&J? They are great to work with. Hope to see some photos of all these S&J fedoras soon!
EricEPickett
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by EricEPickett »

tubasthebest wrote:Welcome to the forum! What hat model and shape did you order from S&J? They are great to work with. Hope to see some photos of all these S&J fedoras soon!
I for sure don’t want to hijack this thread but I am still in talks with Roberto about which shape will look best on my head. Most likely I’ll be getting an LC bash but if he suggests his Hovitos Raiders version then I’ll take him up on it. It’s all so exciting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nickboss9936
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Nickboss9936 »

Please do Eric! I'm excited to see your hat too. Thank you for the kind words!

Still waiting for my hat to get here. I can't wait. The gear has grown so much since I ordered the hat lol actually just got in my bag strap and brown web belt in today!!!
Nickboss9936
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Nickboss9936 »

SO... everyone I have received my Steele and Jones fedora after 4 months of patiently waiting. Roberto is the nicest guy I've ever dealt with in the customer service game. He was constantly updating me on the hat, and giving me advice on what I should pick and he's a perfectionist when it comes to getting it all Right and personalized for the customer!

I'll post pics when I can figure out how to lol but my first impressions of the Fedora were how beautiful it was and how closely it resembles the hat in the opening jungle scene in raiders!! Gorgeous.

The only thing that is kinda bugging me is how big it is on my Head. It doesn't feel too snug which is great for me personally, but it does ride down on my ear a little. It's also got a huge wingspan on the brim. Almost like a cowboy hat haha. I'll let you guys look and tell me if I'm just being paranoid.

Overall I am very happy with my purchase. If only it's giving these 2 awesome guys a chance to make this piece of art. Thank you Roberto if you're reading this!!!

Pics coming soon-
Nick
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

I’m looking forward to pictures, also if it feels loose try stuffing the brim with folded paper towels.
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

Congrats! Looking forward to pics. The way I usually do it is to upload a photo to Facebook (which you can do to a private album if you just want to upload them here) and then copy the link from the image and insert it in the "Img" links provided here just above the text boxes when making a post. Just my two cents :TOH:

Don't worry about it looking large - everyone feels that way with their first hat. In a few months it'll feel totally normal :)
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Well the sweatband will tighten up with use. And the Raiders hat does have a slightly wider brim, but for people who have never worn a boxy crowned wide brim fedora before it can be rather shocking at first, especially the Raiders given its quirks.
Odo
Vendor

Post by Odo »

Nickboss9936 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:23 am SO... everyone I have received my Steele and Jones fedora after 4 months of patiently waiting. Roberto is the nicest guy I've ever dealt with in the customer service game. He was constantly updating me on the hat, and giving me advice on what I should pick and he's a perfectionist when it comes to getting it all Right and personalized for the customer!

I'll post pics when I can figure out how to lol but my first impressions of the Fedora were how beautiful it was and how closely it resembles the hat in the opening jungle scene in raiders!! Gorgeous.

The only thing that is kinda bugging me is how big it is on my Head. It doesn't feel too snug which is great for me personally, but it does ride down on my ear a little. It's also got a huge wingspan on the brim. Almost like a cowboy hat haha. I'll let you guys look and tell me if I'm just being paranoid.

Overall I am very happy with my purchase. If only it's giving these 2 awesome guys a chance to make this piece of art. Thank you Roberto if you're reading this!!!

Pics coming soon-
Nick
Thanks for your words, Nick! You are a tall guy, so a big hat will always look better on you than a shorter one. Don't trust in selfies, the best way to see how does it look on you is to get someone else to take you pics from a certain distance (or auto shoot pics) , since cameras usually make some distortion on too close images... About the sweatband, you can use some padding under it (paper, or a cork little strip) til it adapts to your head... leather is always more likely to shrink than to stretch. Thanks again and hope you enjoy it!
Nickboss9936
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Nickboss9936 »

Nickboss9936
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Nickboss9936 »

IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

The pictures don’t seem to be working, I use cubeupload to put pictures on the site.
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

IJJTM wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:43 pm The pictures don’t seem to be working, I use cubeupload to put pictures on the site.
not working for me either ](*,) :TOH:
Nickboss9936
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Nickboss9936 »

Nickboss9936
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Nickboss9936 »

Nickboss9936
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Nickboss9936 »

Nickboss9936
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Nickboss9936 »

Nickboss9936
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Nickboss9936 »

Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

Nice pics! Also you look a little bit like Oscar Isaac - or maybe I've just watched Moon Knight too recently :-