US Wings Cape Buffalo "Cooper Original" Jacket: ions please.

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Parttimeteacher
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

US Wings Cape Buffalo "Cooper Original" Jacket: ions please.

Post by Parttimeteacher »

I just recently came across the US wings CB jacket on their site. I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with them. I know they're supposed to be roomier and longer. (I had one other US wings Jacket that was way too short, bc I have a long torso. I was also a bit heavier at the time.) Am I looking at it wrong, or are the pockets really far from the bottom of the jacket?
Also, what's the leather feel like? Is it stiff? Just a bit curious. I like the idea of the CB hide, but I don't have much experience with it. I would like a jacket that is really tough, but I don't want to feel like I'm in an upper body cast.

TIA for your advice.
Nosirrah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: US Wings Cape Buffalo "Cooper Original" Jacket: ions ple

Post by Nosirrah »

I'd describe the leather as heavy but supple. Not a body cast, more like body armor. Could probably stop a blowgun dart. Not so great for vine-swinging, but perfect for motorcycle chases. ;)
The lower edge of the pockets is 3.5" from the lower hem, compared to 1.75" on my Wested Raiders Hero. The result is that you get a longer torso without altering the position of the pockets relative to your arms. :TOH:
Parttimeteacher
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: US Wings Cape Buffalo "Cooper Original" Jacket: ions ple

Post by Parttimeteacher »

Thanks. I have a long torso and gorilla arms so having the pockets lower might be a good thing. I'd like to find a jacket in good sturdy leather that's lighter and more plyable than my cowhide Wested. I'm just starting back on my research and I'm pretty much starting over at this point with the different makers that have popped up and faded away, since the last time.
Indy_Dave
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Re: US Wings Cape Buffalo "Cooper Original" Jacket: ions please.

Post by Indy_Dave »

I had looked at these for a while and finally bit the bullet. I thought the pockets being higher would bother me (the dreaded "not screen accurate") but I don't really notice. The leather is substantial, but not unduly so, and has lots of character. It won't flop around like the Raiders jacket but it is a nice item.
singsingjohnny
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by singsingjohnny »

God help me, I’m itching for a new jacket and thinking either the Cooper Original™ Cape Buffalo Indy-Style Adventurer Jacket or the Cooper Original™ Goatskin Indy-Style Adventurer Jacket. Did you pickup the Cape Buffalo jacket? Any feedback? I don’t mind the extra length, sort of TOD. I’ve owned a goatskin jacket but found it a bit rubbery…
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

The Cape buffalo is amazing leather. Absolutely gorgeous, tough as nails, but fairly heavy in weight. That extra length just adds to the physical weight.

The goatskin is also nice leather and it’s definitely shorter in length, and a bit lighter in physical weight.

Honestly, it’s a flip of the coin for me to say which one I prefer, and I have owned both. :-k

In a perfect world, a USWINGS Cape buffalo in Cooper original Legend pattern would have been a home run, but such an animal does not exist. :?

Regards! Michaelson
singsingjohnny
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by singsingjohnny »

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it! I’ve got some soul searching to do… :-)
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Well look, as a caveat, the Cape buffalo is the official jacket used in the Disney World Indy stunt show, so it has provenance. ;)

Regards! M :M:
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Well I've said it here before, but I swear that since they kept the pockets and straps in the same place and simply added length to the bottom that it could be taken up by a tailor with leather skills and a few other simple tweaks and you'd have a decent LC jacket.