Grail temple fedora

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Chindit
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Grail temple fedora

Post by Chindit »

I was re-watching Last Crusade the other nite and was suprised at how narrow the brim looks in the last scenes in the grail temple.
I was wondering if there had been a consensus reached as the the probable width of the brim on that particular hat.

I did some searches through COW and found some discussions, but I probably missed a lot. I apologize if this has been beaten to death somewhere here.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Grail temple fedora

Post by backstagejack »

Everyting i've read is they chopped away at the brim (with scissors no less?) because the lighting on the set made it too difficult to light Ford's face properly. I'm sure other's here have better information but that's what I recall.

But as for any kind of official dimensions I'm not sure I've ever heard of any......that might be a best guess unless someone here is really good at counting pixels.... comparing maybe the ribbon width and hat height with the altered brim? Might be difficult since it still has the cowboy curl as well..... :-k
Last edited by backstagejack on Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

I would think they chopped off at least 1/4 inch if not a 1/2 inch. It's definitely pretty darn short on the sides, almost approaching trilby dimensions.

But yeah, they did it for lighting reasons.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Illinois_Jones wrote:I would think they chopped off at least 1/4 inch if not a 1/2 inch. It's definitely pretty darn short on the sides, almost approaching trilby dimensions.

But yeah, they did it for lighting reasons.
Yeah! It's almost as if the costumer made a radical last minute choice and wanted a trilby instead of a fedora :rolling: ! W>
Chindit
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Chindit »

Thanks! I never knew that story.
(I think that "Trilby" description is perfect).