Older Wested Jacket

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

MikeMac
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Older Wested Jacket

Post by MikeMac »

Hi there. I'm wondering if someone could tell me about the jacket that I found on ebay. It looks to be an older version of a Wested coat. I've included some pictures. I guess I'm wondering how similar it might be to their current coats in terms of color, etc. Thanks in advance!
Attachments
s-l16002 copy.jpg
s-l16003 copy.jpg
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Older Wested Jacket

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Looks late 90s to me, with the pockets and the collar shape. It's lambskin? Looks quite light colored. Is it very distressed? The photo is hard to tell. Almost all of their skins are darker than that today save maybe the heavy lamb.
MikeMac
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MikeMac »

Hi there. Thanks for the reply. I don't actually have the jacket yet, it's still on the way. But you are correct, it does look quite light. I really have no idea what it is made of. Perhaps it might say when I receive it.
Jonathan Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Jonathan Jones »

Hard to tell from looking at what the hide is, but I can tell you Wested's predistressed cowhide from around that era fades that way. I have one from around 2001 that is similar in color.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Yeah, some of the predistressed batches along with the copper novapelle can be pretty light, but that thing looks lightweight and smooth like lamb. But it does look a lot lighter than any Wested lamb I've ever seen... unless it's been treated with a lot of acetone or something and worn A LOT to take that surface tone down. Or it could just be camera flash whitewashing.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Yeah it looks like lamb that's been treated with somthing and then worn a lot. So in other words there is no current Wested that you can buy that looks like that brand new, not even the pre-distressed hides.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

I'm no help but thats an awesome looking jacket!
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Looks a little bit like my first Wested, distressed cow.

Curios what it ends up being, hoping the fit is a perfect one and it gives you many adventures.

Croft :mrgreen:
MikeMac
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MikeMac »

Thank you all for the replies. I'm new to collecting Indy things (and to message boards). I'll update this thread when the jacket finally arrives.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

MikeMac wrote:Thank you all for the replies. I'm new to collecting Indy things (and to message boards). I'll update this thread when the jacket finally arrives.
Actually it looks early naughties to me. I had one like it, although I think the earlier ones like mine had no piping across the top of the pocket flap. I think that was a mod we urged on Wested in around 2003. Also this one has narrow pocket flaps, the earlier ones had wider ones from memory. Others may know for certain.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

CM wrote:
MikeMac wrote:Thank you all for the replies. I'm new to collecting Indy things (and to message boards). I'll update this thread when the jacket finally arrives.
Actually it looks early naughties to me. I had one like it, although I think the earlier ones like mine had no piping across the top of the pocket flap. I think that was a mod we urged on Wested in around 2003. Also this one has narrow pocket flaps, the earlier ones had wider ones from memory. Others may know for certain.
Yeah, I thought that was the 98-04 range. It's definitely pre-CS era and so more than 15 years old, but it's not older than about 98. I thought by around 03 they started rounding the pocket corners more, but it's also got that more angular, non-specific collar they used to put on all of them.
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

My guess is it's a custom early 2000's. The collar is extended out to the middle of the storm flap but is square, not rounded.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Now here's a picture of my first Wested in distressed cow.
Not the same jacket as you bought, I bought it in 94/95ish.
The finish is similar.

Croft :mrgreen:
MikeMac
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MikeMac »

Hi all,

Thanks again for all of the comments. It has been very helpful. The coat arrived, its much darker than the original pictures. But, sadly it is too big. Here are some more pictures.
Attachments
IMG_3917 JPG.jpg
IMG_3916 JPG.jpg
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

You can sell it in the Cairo Bazaar section… “catch and release”. :) That is a common activity around these parts ( :oops: ). There’s always interest in earlier Westeds. Honestly, I’ve done it quite a lot over the years chasing down “the” jacket. Sometimes I take a bit of a loss, but all part of the process and I know it went to another fan.

Great looking jacket.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

MikeMac wrote:Hi all,

Thanks again for all of the comments. It has been very helpful. The coat arrived, its much darker than the original pictures. But, sadly it is too big. Here are some more pictures.
What are the measurements?
MikeMac
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MikeMac »

Kokopelli wrote:

Hi there,

The jacket is size 44

The measurements are:
Sleeve: 26
Length: 25
Pit to Pit: 24
Shoulder to Shoulder 21

I hope I measured this correctly.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

MikeMac wrote:
Kokopelli wrote:

Hi there,

The jacket is size 44

The measurements are:
Sleeve: 26
Length: 25
Pit to Pit: 24
Shoulder to Shoulder 21

I hope I measured this correctly.
Yep! Those are the important measurements!