My Garrison Raider (Garrison owners unite here!)

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Phantom
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Re: My Garrison Raider (Garrison owners unite here!)

Post by Phantom »

After 6 years of sporting a Coyle's Raider (it was fading into a green color and too small) I decided to get a Garrison's!
I received the hat yesterday, and I love it!
Out with the old, in with the new.
With this hat came a few great surprises, things that make me wonder if Garrison is psychic... A few weeks ago I asked to change the shipping address, since when I ordered it I wasn't sure where I was going to be in a few months, so I just gave him my parents address. The hat was shipped to my parent's place anyways, and it came on the one day I happened to be back in town for my brother's graduation. The timing was scary perfect!
The other thing was that I originally wasn't sure if I'd like the swoop on the brim, so when I first emailed him about my hat, I asked if it could not have turn, with the bash based off a publicity pic from the opening scene. So I was a bit surprised when I saw that the had did in fact have the turn (but I don't think I mention the turn when I finally ordered, so that's on me)... But I love it! \:D/ I can't believe I didn't want the turn in the first place, and it makes me love the hat even more.
If anyone is debating about buying a hat from Garrison: stop debating, go for it. The hat is well crafted, beautiful, and worth every penny.
Last edited by Phantom on Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Looks great! I've got one that should be arriving next week and this has me even more excited than I already was. Really nice hat - wear it in good health.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Looks great! Love the color. Would you say the ribbon is black or dark brown? Very nice indeed. :TOH:
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Color is great. Looks good on you.
Screencapped
Vendor

Post by Screencapped »

Phantom the first pic of you wearing your Garrison looks like Indy's hat from the Raven Bar scene right after Marion discovers he's there. David really hooked you up. Looks great! :TOH:
Phantom
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Phantom »

Forrest For the Trees wrote:Looks great! Love the color. Would you say the ribbon is black or dark brown? Very nice indeed. :TOH:
It looks black at the first glance, but I think it could be a very very dark brown.

It might sound strange, but I think it would be hard for me to tell without comparing it to a black ribbon to see if there's a difference. :?
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Well, my new hat from Garrison (in the new color!) arrived yesterday, and I could think of nothing better than to post some pics and a review. Yes, I did just get one of the new HJs. No, I don't have a problem. :lol:

I want to second what Phantom had to say about David's psychic abilities: I had initially ordered something fairly basic, like the following picture of the AB Henry:

But since I've been playing around with the new HJs, I've really been itching for a perfect Cairo hat, and was even thinking about re-bashing the new Garrison hat right out of the box. As it turned out, there was no need:

It was absolutely perfect out of the box. The swoop is very evident, just a hint of reverse taper, and a perfect boxy Cairo pinch. How did he know I was itching for a Cairo?!? David, your talent for anticipating your customers is spooky! Like my previous Garrison hat, it's extremely comfortable, and it basically just conforms to my head as soon as I put it on. I was able to wear it all evening almost without noticing it. The dimensions are perfect, and this hat is a great value.

My one critique concerns the color. It's absolutely gorgeous (and netted me no less than three compliments in a single evening), but it's a bit too red-ish for screen accuracy. I remember David's post about the quest to find this color, and I agree it pretty much perfectly matches the Raven bar scene, when the only lighting comes courtesy of a roaring fire, but the chestnut color has that red-ish look in broad daylight too. This is just a minor critique - as I said before, the color in its own right is beautiful - but I thought I'd make note of it. Long story short, Garrison hats are wonderful, and everyone should have one.
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

Forrest For the Trees wrote:Looks great! Love the color. Would you say the ribbon is black or dark brown? Very nice indeed. :TOH:
I have a Garrison, too (got it about a year ago, when David changed to the new felt color).

The ribbon on mine is very dark brown, the same as the ribbon Dalexs got from Jack at Herbert Johnson (I think) to offer to COW members a few months ago. I got a few yards to have some spare ribbon on hand, and compared them side by side. My eyeballs, at least, can't tell any difference.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Well, regardless of whether or not the felt color is SA, it is gorgeous.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

It is indeed! :TOH:
Screencapped
Vendor

Post by Screencapped »

Congratulations on your new Garrison Mulceber! I got one last November and it fit and swooped perfectly straight out of the box also.
It's in my top 3 favorite customs alongside S&J and Northwest Hats. HJ is catching up though. ;)
Oklahoma Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Oklahoma Jones »

Take a look at the hat when Indy is fighting the mechanic at the plane......... IMO, David's new hat color is durn near a perfect match...
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

I just sent David an email inquiring about a reblock. My Garrison Raiders has gotten to the point where it's in desperate need. I'll include a facebook link that has a picture of my hat shortly. But my main question is; Does anyone know if he can restore really used/slightly beat up hats to a like new condition? My hat is in rabbit, but it has a texture slightly similar to wool (it's from use I imagine). Can he refinish the texture?

Also for those who have had reblocks done by him, was it expensive to do? And what time frame was it? I need my hat back in time for July 22nd.

Thanks!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Considering Dave Garrison works a full time 40+ hour job during the week as a professional surveyor, I don't believe your timeline is realistic. You're only talking 3 weeks here, and that's if you shipped it this very moment! I can't speak for David, but I'd say the answer would probably be 'no, I can't do it in that time frame'.

The last re-block he did for me took 6 weeks, and he wasn't backed up with orders then. I asked for a timeline on another possible re-block job recently, and it was still in the 5-6 week range.

As to price, he'll have to give you the quote for the work you're requesting to be done, as it all depends on how much time and effort is involved with your particular hat.

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I can echo what Michaelson said about timeline and cost.

I will add that I sent David an old, beat up hat I found online and he brought it back to beautiful condition.

Your hat is a Garrison, David makes them to last a lifetime.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

My Garrison Raider (Garrison owners unite here!)

Post by ChrisMD »

Indy (my dog) has been going through some health issues, so I decided we’d go explore and relax a little and try to have some fun. Here is my Garrison from 2013 in the wild where it belongs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mr. Fusion 1138
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Mr. Fusion 1138 »

Here's my seven year old Raiders "SOC" Garrison. It's shrunk and tapered slightly, but it's seen a lot of action. I've been wearing it almost every day for the last three years. It's well loved.ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
NR16020
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by NR16020 »

I've been thinking about getting a Garrison for many years now. The website is still active, but does anyone know if they're still taking orders?
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

He hasn’t really taken orders since like 2019, but I believe that he will start taking orders for beaver hats pretty soon again.
NR16020
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by NR16020 »

IJJTM wrote:He hasn’t really taken orders since like 2019, but I believe that he will start taking orders for beaver hats pretty soon again.
That's really disappointing. I was hoping to get a rabbit one.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Best person to ask is David. Reach out through his website.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

I’d love to get a rabbit from him as well, but apparently he hasn’t found a new manufacturer that he’s happy with.
Caber
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Caber »

I emailed him the other day to see if he could reblock a hat i bought from him back in 2008. I havent worn it much since i bought it so it looks pretty new. Not broke in much but he never replied. I thought maybe he was still in retirement? Doesn't look like it from the posts on here. Does he not do reblocks? anybody know? if not I may just sell the hat

Cabe 8)
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

No, he's still out there, and he's working toward a new hat line/rework as he has time. It's definitely a work in progress.

I talked to him by phone last Friday evening.

Try dropping him a PM instead of email. He usually replies to those pretty quickly, or definitely use his FB page. He checks those often and replies. He's just not very 'available' during the week due to all his field survey work.

I just pinged him to let him know folks are looking for him.

UPDATE: Heard back from him. Said he'd check his emails tonight when got home.

Regards! Michaelson
Local Land Surveyor
Vendor

Post by Local Land Surveyor »

Well, Hello All,
It has been a LLLOOOOONNNNNGGGG time since I walked through this door. Thank you, :M: for reaching out to me and making me aware of this recent activity here.

I have been out of hat making for many years, now. I don't even care to rehash all the changes in life since then.
However, I have been revamping my craft. I have found new suppliers for ribbons, sweatbands and felt bodies, as,well as, hat making tools and blocks. I may go into more details in a different thread to kind of separate out the new beginnings.
My apologies for not responding to various contact points. My old website, that is still active, is not and will not, be the place to contact me, nor order hats. I am working to start anew on a website. I will make more effort to check back in here more often. This place is THE PLACE for Indiana Jones info. No mistake there. Second to none.

Thank you for your continued and renewed interest in The Garrison Hatters Hat Line

More to come, LLS
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Sounds good to me. :TOH:
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

Good to hear from you, LLS :TOH:
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

I hate to say it, but I think Jr. wears it better than me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

In that flannel he looks like he could be coming off shift at a factory, mill, shipyard, etc. in the 30s.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

Great idea! About time he got a job

Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Coming soon to a head near me…
https://imgur.com/a/JcwIEzT

This is a Raiders fedora with turn, primarily Idol Grab bash, in Garrison’s new pure beaver felt from the limited batch he sourced last year. It’s sized at a hair over 59cm with a folded sweatband to size down to 58cm and help produce all of the unique physical attributes of the screen used hats (boxy crown, exaggerated brim distortion, bump around the center circumference of the ribbon, sweat stain patterns etc).

More to come when the hat arrives this week, but as many of you already know, David Garrison is an absolute legend and pleasure to do business with. As far as I’m aware, he only has a couple of felt bodies left from this run of 10. So if you’re interested, don’t wait.
:TOH:
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Looks great! Can’t wait to see it on you. :TOH:
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

That looks really nice...looking forward to seeing it here. :)
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

It's amazing how those things take shape. A true work of art.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Wow, a very different color from his previous offerings.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Tomorrow's the day! More pics and impressions to come.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

:) :tup:
Last edited by IJJTM on Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
tubasthebest
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by tubasthebest »

Exciting! Can’t wait to hear about it.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Added some very hastily taken pics. Will dedicate a little more time to an update as soon as I can, but for now…

cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

I really like the new color.

Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Yeah it works really well for a classic Raiders look! And it behaves like classic, vintage sable in various light. You can see from the pics David sent during the crafting process.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

VERY nice! When did you order this?

Regards! Michaelson
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Looks great! :TOH:
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Michaelson wrote:VERY nice! When did you order this?

Regards! Michaelson
A little over a month ago. Quick turnaround!
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Got the shape where I want it now!
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Chose Poorly wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:02 am Got the shape where I want it now!
Man, that's awesome! Love your collection and how you display them! :clap:

Cheers,
Bear
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Aw shucks! Thanks bear!
bearbeast wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:41 am
Chose Poorly wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:02 am Got the shape where I want it now!
Man, that's awesome! Love your collection and how you display them! :clap:

Cheers,
Bear
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Just credit where credit is due! :clap:
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Local Land Surveyor wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:17 pm Well, Hello All,
It has been a LLLOOOOONNNNNGGGG time since I walked through this door. Thank you, :M: for reaching out to me and making me aware of this recent activity here.

I have been out of hat making for many years, now. I don't even care to rehash all the changes in life since then.
However, I have been revamping my craft. I have found new suppliers for ribbons, sweatbands and felt bodies, as,well as, hat making tools and blocks. I may go into more details in a different thread to kind of separate out the new beginnings.
My apologies for not responding to various contact points. My old website, that is still active, is not and will not, be the place to contact me, nor order hats. I am working to start anew on a website. I will make more effort to check back in here more often. This place is THE PLACE for Indiana Jones info. No mistake there. Second to none.

Thank you for your continued and renewed interest in The Garrison Hatters Hat Line

More to come, LLS
Hey friend! For some reason I'm on the struggle bus and can't seem to release PMs stuck in my outbox. I'm very interested in your current offerings and possibly placing an order. Would you mind sending me a PM so I can reply there? :TOH:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

PMs stay in your outbox until the recipient opens it and then it moves to the sent.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff