Advintage color help!

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

hobbitjedi
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Advintage color help!

Post by hobbitjedi »

Hi everyone! So much great info here! Pretty new to the board! I’m ordering my first fedora from advintage and I’m torn on the colors choice! I’m thinking between old sable, which used to be sable I think, and true sable! I’m getting a streets of Cairo distressed fedora for my prop display, so it’s not going to be worn outside. I would like it to be as screen accurate as possible while it was filmed, so I’m leaning towards old sable. Any pictures or advice would be welcome! Thanks everyone!
mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Advintage color help!

Post by mr_alex »

I ordered an Advintage earlier this year, and Thomas said Sable is the most SA color out of the box. Personally, he prefers True Sable - which he mentioned would fade nicely over time. If you're not wearing your hat outside, that's not a concern. Old Sable (formerly Raider's Sable) is not a screen accurate fedora color, and Thomas will tell you as much. It's a beautiful color, but the tones are too bright/rich for screen accuracy.

In summary, if you're looking for accuracy, Sable is your color.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

You aren’t planning to really wear it out and intend to distress it. I’d go with sable, his new color as I think old sable is a little too light, or bright sable, which I think really emulates the SOC scenes.
hobbitjedi
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by hobbitjedi »

I like sable, but I think old sable matches the hat in the Cairo scenes.
He said true sable would be where the hat started, but old sable is more where the hat was while Cairo was being filmed.
I’d like to see some pictures of both! Does anyone have some in old sable? Thanks so much for the replies!
hobbitjedi
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by hobbitjedi »

mr_alex wrote:I ordered an Advintage earlier this year, and Thomas said Sable is the most SA color out of the box. Personally, he prefers True Sable - which he mentioned would fade nicely over time. If you're not wearing your hat outside, that's not a concern. Old Sable (formerly Raider's Sable) is not a screen accurate fedora color, and Thomas will tell you as much. It's a beautiful color, but the tones are too bright/rich for screen accuracy.

In summary, if you're looking for accuracy, Sable is your color.
Thanks for your response!
Maybe there was a miscommunication? He told me that old sable, formerly sable, matches the look of the on screen streets of Cairo scenes.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

He probably means old sable, “sable” is the new color he offers and bright sable was previously called Raiders sable.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

I'm still of a mind that the actual fresh, out-of-the-box color of the actual Raiders hats was a bit different from the "true sable" Thomas uses or deep sable HJ uses, etc. There's a ton of apocrypha, as we all know, but for a variety of reasons the felt they used in 1980 was a Cury felt and thus its color was likely somewhat different from the felts used in ToD and LC era and which Michelle at HJ has examples of from 1985 and from which she based the current HJ felts.

That said, I'm not exactly a sable color Nazi and I think all of the sables offered by various vendors are good -- though I do think HJ's regular sable is too light and AdVintage's "bright/Raiders" sable is, well, bright -- they're all good and at this point can replicate any scene you want, especially SOC. And this new sable Thomas offers looks really good to me. A nice rich tone to it that's not too muted nor too brown and with good red tone saturation. Heck, I've got hats made in felts labelled "chocolate" that are great. As I always tell people here and elsewhere, get the fet that *you* want. They're all good and they all work.