Is it possible to make a leather repair virtually invisible?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Is it possible to make a leather repair virtually invisible?

Post by Satipo »

I've just purchased a second hand jacket in black nappa leather and on close examination have noticed what looks like a small flap of leather about half an inch long, a quarter wide, stuck down to cover a hole on the yoke at the back. Although it doesn't scream out, I'm wondering if there is anything simple I can do to make it even less visible, or even invisible, for example, to blend in its border to the surrounding leather.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Is it possible to make a leather repair virtually invisi

Post by Illinois_Jones »

A hole or a tear? A good leather guy can close a tear pretty easily, but a hole is difficult and often they'd recommend just replacing the whole panel. Is it in the middle of the leather panel or on a seam? Along a seam you can do some things to disguise it, but in the middle of the leather panel is tricky. The main thing is the color and finish matching, especially since it's black nappa, but you could always consider re-dying the panel/jacket and the patch to match. Other than that the only thing really would be to skive the edges of the patch and the hole so that the patch sits evenly with the rest of the leather, make sure it's proper leather glue, and then once it's set maybe look at applying a little dye to blend and even it out more. The other option is to go the Indy jacket route and just add more distressing but I assume since it's black nappa that you're going for a more clean look.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

A lot of leather repair kits are a backing piece, then you fill the tear with what is essentially coloured PVA and then cover it with a textured piece of plastic to mimic the grain when it dries it's supposed to blend in with the leather. I've no idea if they actually work, and the pactch will likely wear diferently to the leather.
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

Illinois_Jones wrote:A hole or a tear? A good leather guy can close a tear pretty easily, but a hole is difficult and often they'd recommend just replacing the whole panel. Is it in the middle of the leather panel or on a seam? Along a seam you can do some things to disguise it, but in the middle of the leather panel is tricky. The main thing is the color and finish matching, especially since it's black nappa, but you could always consider re-dying the panel/jacket and the patch to match. Other than that the only thing really would be to skive the edges of the patch and the hole so that the patch sits evenly with the rest of the leather, make sure it's proper leather glue, and then once it's set maybe look at applying a little dye to blend and even it out more. The other option is to go the Indy jacket route and just add more distressing but I assume since it's black nappa that you're going for a more clean look.
I believe it's covering a hole, as the leather feels thinner here than in the surrounding area, and it's in the middle of the panel away from seams. The jacket has a wrinkly vintage look, but not to the extent of roughed up broken surface distressing, so don't want to go down that route.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Well just a thought, go to the Indy V section, there some picture of Indy’s jacket where the sewn up a “bullet hole” and it looked ok, more of :-k past adventures.

Just a thought, I’m no leather guy, but it seems to me it might be hard to disguise it, more like embrace it.

Croft :mrgreen:
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

Indiana Croft wrote:Well just a thought, go to the Indy V section, there some picture of Indy’s jacket where the sewn up a “bullet hole” and it looked ok, more of :-k past adventures.

Just a thought, I’m no leather guy, but it seems to me it might be hard to disguise it, more like embrace it.

Yeah, it's not meant to look pristine and new anyway, so I'm inclined to follow this path, but was trying to answer that little inquiring voice in my head. That's why I was wondering if there was anything simple that could be done - it's not worth me spending a lot of time or money on. If anything, I'd prefer to use that time to add more wrinkles/character to it.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Some times a hole is just a hole, if it were mine I’d be going the sew up to be what it is, a repair.

Funny story, I sell millwork, doors, windows and the like.
Customer called and asked if there was a patch kit to repair a hole. Seems someone punched it. Just a hole core door, but once this happens it’s done for unless your very crafty.

Good luck and if possible post a picture of the aftermath.