RAIDERS Bag Strap Revelation

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

RAIDERS Bag Strap Revelation

Post by knibs7 »

Something that has always intrigued me was the origins of the RAIDERS bag strap. After years of looking at any and every image I could possibly find, both on-screen evidence and still shots, something dawned on me; There are certain details which have been largely ignored by every replicator out there of what is a subtle and yet essential feature of our favorite whip-wielding archaeologist’s gear and that is Indy’s bag strap.

As previously mentioned, I’ve spent years studying the bag straps used throughout the franchise. I’ve literally watched Raiders (the parts where his strap is showing) at least 20 times, frame by frame, to find out every little detail. So, after countless hours of research, I’ve discovered a few things about the straps that have been previously overlooked. I just couldn't find the right looking strap.

So, I took a page out of Steve Delk's playbook. When he couldn't find a proper hat for Indy IV, he took matters into his own hands and made them himself. And I have done the same with Indy bag straps.

The album Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band was released by The Beatles on 1st June 1967. Generally considered one of the greatest records ever made. Notable not only for its range of songs, the sleeve cover design, featuring the Fab Four in pastel bandsmen’s outfits surrounded by a collage of famous faces, remains instantly recognizable and won a Graphic Art Grammy for its designers.

However, a little-known fact is that the famous pastel bandsmen’s outfits worn by John, Paul, George and Ringo were designed and created by costume designer Noel Howard, of MBA Costumiers who was also involved with the Indiana Jones Franchise.

After speaking with fellow COW member, StefanHills, he agreed to share his encounter and communication with Noel Howard.

Stefan writes:

“In the early 2000-2001, I was visiting England while in college and wanted to genuine gas mask bag as seen in the Indiana Jones movies, specifically the W&G Ltd as can be seen in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade when the cross of Coronado is removed from the bag.
Since Osnaburgh Street, where MBA Costumiers were located, was not too far from where I was staying at the time, I decided it was good opportunity to see if I could hand pick my first MKVII gas mask bag. These bags varied in condition, even between the ones that were not issued when compared to the ones that were used during WWII.
Noel graciously brought out a few examples to choose from and asked which version of the strap I would like installed. Noel mentioned that the leather bag straps originally used in Raiders of the Lost Ark were originally sourced from the same surplus stores where the bags were sourced from. However, instead of using the stock webbing straps, the production had these bags changed to leather ones from old rifle slings.”

The bag straps that Noel offered were made in house, and were offered in two versions, ROLA and TOD/LC. However, little did one think that the mention of a riffle sling being originally used would help 20 years later in unlocking what would be become the most accurate version of the Raider’s bag strap that is finally now offered by myself.

Again, after doing a ridiculous amount of research, I had not been able to find any type of vintage rifle sling like we see in the film. I found a bunch of vintage slings that looked just like the hero strap, but the longest one I could find was 59 inches long.

IMO, that just doesn't seem long enough to fit Harrison Ford, who at the time, was about 6’2” tall. So naturally, it bothered me that I had searched for so long and still couldn’t find the same strap. Then one day something dawned on me. I had a theory about the strap, so I decided to do a little more digging.

I came across a website that has rifle sling experts. I emailed them and told them the situation. The reply I received from them confirmed my theory. They told me that, “no vintage rifle sling like in the film existed in 1980-1981.” And that “most likely, TWO surplus slings were joined together to make one long strap.” Yes, two straps were joined together to accommodate for Ford’s height.

There are a few screen grabs that show the seam. It’s very faint, but it’s there. I also noticed some markings on the strap. At first, I thought they were stitch marks where the slings were joined. But upon further inspection, I don’t believe they were sewn together at all. I’m still uncertain as to what the marks are.

The last thing I discovered is that the bag strap doesn’t have nickel Chicago screws, like every strap maker out there has ever used. It looks to be a Sam Browne button, or something similar. It is definitely brass though.

Now, let me just say that this is all speculation on my end. I can’t say that I am one hundred percent sure because other than the movie and publicity stills, no one has ever seen the screen used Raiders strap. However, I believe that this is the most likely explanation for the strap/sling mystery.

MOD Edit: Pictures were way oversized per site rules. Kyle, you can repost sized smaller or add links.
Last edited by knibs7 on Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
baddates1
Vendor

Re: RAIDERS Bag Strap Revelatioin

Post by baddates1 »

Hm, would love to see how this plot unfolds :-k

Based on the Well of Souls disguise photo... Hm. My current theory is the mark is a dried leather crack with 3 stitches to hold it together. If you own tack or gun leather, you haven't kept the leather hydrated in conditioning oil (shameless Pecards plug for Michaelson), and leave it in an environment that's prone to dust/any elements, then it's more than likely going to dry out and split. I've seen this happen with some unused family horse tack in our basement.

Oddly enough, this also happens with leather that's been soaked in water for a long time, and hasn't been treated. It dries afterwards, and since there's no oils to be found in it, it actually makes it dryer than before, making it split. Same case applies to wet molding holsters: You leave it in water too long, once it dries, it snaps like a saltine cracker.

My current theory is they found the cracks forming, and (to me) it looks like there's 3 stitches across it to keep it from splitting. I have no idea what the case may be, but for now let's see where this goes.
Last edited by baddates1 on Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Many years ago the rifle friction sling info was explored by Indiana Jerry.

In his prowling around surplus stores and collectors shops it was found that Enfield and HK produced slings of various lengths for soldiers, as ‘one size’ did NOT fit all. He found slings that varied anywhere from 55” to 84” in length in subsequent searches. German Mauser slings were a close second.

He sent several of us examples to look at and try, and I had one on a bag for many years before replacing it with a Kepler strap.

At the time folks were intrigued, but just wouldn’t listen. As you say, Noel Howard himself confirmed what the Paramount propmaster had told us, but no one cared or believed, which always puzzled me. :-k

Kind of like when USWINGS introduced a striated lambskin jacket and people returned them saying the didn’t want anything that looked like ‘dinosaur skin’. The line was dropped. Years later striated jackets are THE Raiders hide of choice! :lol:

What was once old is now new again!

Do a search under ‘rifle strap’ and author ‘Indiana Jerry’ and you’ll find all the online discussions. I just did and they’re still there. 2004! Wow!

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... ifle+strap" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There were others traveling the same path, but Jerry’s work was the most 'boots on the ground' research in my memory.

Glad you’re bringing this back to the surface, knibs! Jerry would be proud! I’ll have to message him and let him know the flame is still lit in this topic.

Regards! Michaelson
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

baddates1 wrote:Potentially, in this case, it could've been from the filming they did in Hawaii.
It wouldn't have any impact on the pictures linked to as Hawaii was the last filming location.
Trenin
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Trenin »

knibs7 wrote:Something that has always intrigued me was the origins of the RAIDERS bag strap. After years of looking at any and every image I could possibly find, both on-screen evidence and still shots, something dawned on me; There are certain details which have been largely ignored by every replicator out there of what is a subtle and yet essential feature of our favorite whip-wielding archaeologist’s gear and that is Indy’s bag strap.

As previously mentioned, I’ve spent years studying the bag straps used throughout the franchise. I’ve literally watched Raiders (the parts where his strap is showing) at least 20 times, frame by frame, to find out every little detail. So, after countless hours of research, I’ve discovered a few things about the straps that have been previously overlooked. I just couldn't find the right looking strap.

So, I took a page out of Steve Delk's playbook. When he couldn't find a proper hat for Indy IV, he took matters into his own hands and made them himself. And I have done the same with Indy bag straps.

The album Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band was released by The Beatles on 1st June 1967. Generally considered one of the greatest records ever made. Notable not only for its range of songs, the sleeve cover design, featuring the Fab Four in pastel bandsmen’s outfits surrounded by a collage of famous faces, remains instantly recognizable and won a Graphic Art Grammy for its designers.

However, a little-known fact is that the famous pastel bandsmen’s outfits worn by John, Paul, George and Ringo were designed and created by costume designer Noel Howard, of MBA Costumiers who was also involved with the Indiana Jones Franchise.

After speaking with fellow COW member, StefanHills, he agreed to share his encounter and communication with Noel Howard.

Stefan writes:

“In the early 2000-2001, I was visiting England while in college and wanted to genuine gas mask bag as seen in the Indiana Jones movies, specifically the W&G Ltd as can be seen in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade when the cross of Coronado is removed from the bag.
Since Osnaburgh Street, where MBA Costumiers were located, was not too far from where I was staying at the time, I decided it was good opportunity to see if I could hand pick my first MKVII gas mask bag. These bags varied in condition, even between the ones that were not issued when compared to the ones that were used during WWII.
Noel graciously brought out a few examples to choose from and asked which version of the strap I would like installed. Noel mentioned that the leather bag straps originally used in Raiders of the Lost Ark were originally sourced from the same surplus stores where the bags were sourced from. However, instead of using the stock webbing straps, the production had these bags changed to leather ones from old rifle slings.”

The bag straps that Noel offered were made in house, and were offered in two versions, ROLA and TOD/LC. However, little did one think that the mention of a riffle sling being originally used would help 20 years later in unlocking what would be become the most accurate version of the Raider’s bag strap that is finally now offered by myself.

Again, after doing a ridiculous amount of research, I had not been able to find any type of vintage rifle sling like we see in the film. I found a bunch of vintage slings that looked just like the hero strap, but the longest one I could find was 59 inches long.

IMO, that just doesn't seem long enough to fit Harrison Ford, who at the time, was about 6’2” tall. So naturally, it bothered me that I had searched for so long and still couldn’t find the same strap. Then one day something dawned on me. I had a theory about the strap, so I decided to do a little more digging.

I came across a website that has rifle sling experts. I emailed them and told them the situation. The reply I received from them confirmed my theory. They told me that, “no vintage rifle sling like in the film existed in 1980-1981.” And that “most likely, TWO surplus slings were joined together to make one long strap.” Yes, two straps were joined together to accommodate for Ford’s height.

There are a few screen grabs that show the seam. It’s very faint, but it’s there. I also noticed some markings on the strap. At first, I thought they were stitch marks where the slings were joined. But upon further inspection, I don’t believe they were sewn together at all. I’m still uncertain as to what the marks are.

The last thing I discovered is that the bag strap doesn’t have nickel Chicago screws, like every strap maker out there has ever used. It looks to be a Sam Browne button, or something similar. It is definitely brass though.

Now, let me just say that this is all speculation on my end. I can’t say that I am one hundred percent sure because other than the movie and publicity stills, no one has ever seen the screen used Raiders strap. However, I believe that this is the most likely explanation for the strap/sling mystery.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Xjv1iux" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://imgur.com/gallery/ku1FNCL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is the stuff I'm here for.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

There's lots more if you just do a search. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

Mike wrote:
baddates1 wrote:Potentially, in this case, it could've been from the filming they did in Hawaii.
It wouldn't have any impact on the pictures linked to as Hawaii was the last filming location.
Darn I forgot about that. Edited my post :TOH:
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

1. WOW. Great work :clap: :clap: :clap:

2. It makes sense to me. I mean they grabbed a random bag from an antique store and then needed to find a way to hang it on the hero. A rifle sling just seems the most natural choice to me as what this production would have turned too. Something quick to cobble together and throw onto Ford. :H:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

The bags and straps were picked up in a military surplus store in London.

Regards. Michaelson
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Michaelson wrote:The bags and straps were picked up in a military surplus store in London.

Regards. Michaelson
Right, they picked it up there but that even makes it more of a "just makes sense" moment to me, if Knibs and Jerry are correct.

You have a bag, you want to hang it on the hero, maybe someone suggests a leather strap (cause that's cooler looking than webbing)

What's the first thing most folks would think of in regards to a leather strap, especially if you're in a military surplus store already?

:TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

They’re correct. It was confirmed rifle straps were used by Noel Howard back in 2001 and the Paramount prop master back in 1985.

Regards! M
Stefan Hills
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Stefan Hills »

What I find fascinating and will admit am slightly embraced is missing the evidence that Indy’s bag strap had been infused together with two riffle slings.

The behind scenes picture I am sure we all have seen for years and yet missed a clue in plain sight. Well done knibs7, will be touch for a custom strap from you!

knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Stefan Hills wrote:What I find fascinating and will admit am slightly embraced is missing the evidence that Indy’s bag strap had been infused together with two riffle slings.

The behind scenes picture I am sure we all have seen for years and yet missed a clue in plain sight. Well done knibs7, will be touch for a custom strap from you!

Thanks for the kind words! I’d love to make you a RAIDERS strap! You can contact me through my FB Page: Penitent Man Leather. It will be up tonight.

Kyle
Stefan Hills
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Stefan Hills »

Will do! Do you offer an Indy 5 strap Kyle? Keep up the great work!
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Stefan Hills wrote:Will do! Do you offer an Indy 5 strap Kyle? Keep up the great work!
Absolutely! I just started offering them about a week ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Stefan Hills wrote:What I find fascinating and will admit am slightly embraced is missing the evidence that Indy’s bag strap had been infused together with two riffle slings.

Yep, I just always assumed that was due to distressing but this makes sense to me. So cool.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: RAIDERS Bag Strap Revelation

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Y'all have better eyes than me. I don't see any evidence of two straps being sewn or otherwise connected.

As Michaelson noted, it was confirmed decades ago the production used a rifle strap, so to my eye the marks on the strap are a result in moving the buckle from where it would have been positioned for a rifle to where it works for HF to wear it longer with the satchel. It also doesn't make sense to me that IF the strap was made from two separate straps that they would position the seams on the front of the strap. Why not put the seam on the back where it wouldn't be as noticeable?

Also, Kyle, your pictures are way too big. Please resize them per site rules.
Not to exceed 640x480 pixels

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Lord, I remember this whole thing back in the day and pouring through my equipment encyclopedias thinking the strap was most likely from a hip-fired auto like a BAR or one of the Bren conversions, but also that would most likely be from a WWI era or 1920s piece of kit like the M1917 revolver except I was skeptical because obviously leather would be less likely to age as well over 70 years than steel, but also that squad auto kit changed dramatically by WWII and they weren't issuing slings like that, etc.

They are most probably Enfield slings (they are most definitely NOT Garand slings), BUT I've also never been able to pin down a make and never will. Like most world wars gear, the contracts and makes are all over the place and UK industry was still so decentralized and, especially with leather, still more or less a cottage industry. It wouldn't shock me if the slings were produced by some random UK saddler or cordwainer in 1940 in a run of like 100 and donated. Most slings by then were webbing, but not all. Sometimes in the surplus market you come across really unique pieces of kit.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

The ones Jerry purchased (as discussed in his thread that I posted the link to in my first reply) were all OVER the place in terms of color.
One was darker than another, some had the line edging exactly as seen in Raiders, others were plain, and ALL were listed for HK's and Enfield's of all types and models. Some of those old Enfields were REALLY long rifles.

That explains why there were so many different lengths.

I wish he had found that 84" one, but they were out of stock at the time. That would have been pretty much perfect to create the final product. Mine had those dark horizontal lines as seen in knibs photos, but like Jeff said above, they were from where the strap had been attached to a rifle lanyard for a long period of time and had not discolored like the rest of the strap. They were friction adjustable, so the strap could be used for carry or wrapped around the arm to stead aim, hence the different locations of those lines on the strap.

All that said, if you want a rifle strap to replicate length, finding one over 55" these days, especially PERIOD straps, is getting harder to find than hens teeth. That's why Lee Keppler came out with HIS strap, as no one could find anything in military surplus stores anymore long enough to fill the bill, and we're talking late 80's/early 90's here! That's when I got mine from him, and I'm STILL using it.

Yeah, this one was beat to death 'back in the day', wasn't it? Kind of like the 'brown vs grey' fedora debate.....:lol: :Plymouth:

Regards! Michaelson
captblitzdawg
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by captblitzdawg »

Funny that this came up. I got a leather sling for my M1 carbine not too long ago, and it goes on similarly to the bag strap, so I took a second look at it and wondered if it would work as a replacement for my bag someday, or vice-versa.
Great detective work by Knibs and Indiana Jerry!
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

knibs7 wrote:There are a few screen grabs that show the seam. It’s very faint, but it’s there. I also noticed some markings on the strap. At first, I thought they were stitch marks where the slings were joined. But upon further inspection, I don’t believe they were sewn together at all. I’m still uncertain as to what the marks are.
Where on the strap do you see the seam? The screen grabs you provided look like you are referencing near HF's shoulder, but then you write you don't think those three vertical marks near the shoulder are stitches. :-k

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

I think he's referring to these 3 holes, and you can almost believe that those are seams, but I'm willing to bet they are old holes from an original 3 prong roller buckle (?)
Assuming this was a repurposed strap of some sort.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

I did just grab some vintage brass Sam Browne buttons and popped one in place of the Chicago screw on my WPG strap to test it out. I like the look and functionality (for now), it feels secure but also easier to pop off if needed. Because the original holes and slits were designed to accommodate a Chicago screw, they're a little bigger than what I would want for a Sam Browne button, so I could see that becoming an issue as the strap sees more wear and the leather loosens up, but it feels very secure at the moment. I would have made new holes, I just didn't want to trim 5-6" off the strap to get to fresh leather and end up with too short of a strap since I'm 6'1". Anyway, i'll let y'all know if I notice any issues.

For anyone interested in doing the same, I picked the buttons up for cheap at a local Hobby Lobby.
mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mr_alex »

The story of the rifle strap will be a fantastic tidbit to add to the 'Bag' section of the main Indy website when the next update happens. Since it's been corroborated, it'd be great to add that to the official catalogue of Indygear knowledge!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

It was 'corroborated' long ago. It just never got any traction back then. :-k

It's just nice to see it FINALLY getting the recognition it deserved over 18 years ago.

Regards! M
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

This cracks me up. I've still got an extended vintage rifle strap attached to one of my first real MKVII satchels. What's old is new again... :lol:
belloq
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by belloq »

I would like to see the replicas. Do you show/sell anywhere apart from Facebook?
Trenin
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Trenin »

Were the Sam Browne buttons exclusive to the Raider's strap? I'll be honest, the Chicago screws are a much better way to secure the strap and I'll be sticking with those regardless, but I've also always preferred the darker Temple/Crusade strap with the roller buckle.
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Trenin wrote:Were the Sam Browne buttons exclusive to the Raider's strap? I'll be honest, the Chicago screws are a much better way to secure the strap and I'll be sticking with those regardless, but I've also always preferred the darker Temple/Crusade strap with the roller buckle.
If I recall correctly, I think the Chicago screws were just used by vendors (at least by Lee) instead for ease of use and having the same look and feel for the outside of the strap.
Cimmerian
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Cimmerian »

belloq wrote:I would like to see the replicas. Do you show/sell anywhere apart from Facebook?
Can I second this request please?
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

Trenin wrote:Were the Sam Browne buttons exclusive to the Raider's strap? I'll be honest, the Chicago screws are a much better way to secure the strap and I'll be sticking with those regardless, but I've also always preferred the darker Temple/Crusade strap with the roller buckle.
It looks to be a Sam Browne button, or something similar. It is definitely brass though.
No one knows for sure that this is what was used on the bag strap. It was an observation by Stefan as a possibilty. He couldn't tell for sure.
Without decent pics of this, there is really no way to tell.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Well it’ll take a little time, but I order one of these.
What Knibs calls the Legacy.

Science I don’t use his particular payment method, doing it the ol fashioned way.
Mailing a M.O.

Croft :mrgreen:
Stefan Hills
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Stefan Hills »

Dalexs wrote:
It looks to be a Sam Browne button, or something similar. It is definitely brass though.
No one knows for sure that this is what was used on the bag strap. It was an observation by Stefan as a possibilty. He couldn't tell for sure.
Without decent pics of this, there is really no way to tell.
Slight correction, Kyle noticed the Sam Brown Button not me, I merely recalled what Noel told me about the use of riffle straps.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Cimmerian wrote:
belloq wrote:I would like to see the replicas. Do you show/sell anywhere apart from Facebook?
Can I second this request please?
IG: penitentmanleather
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Kyle, you make a presumption that Harry Gord had to be about 6'2, in those days and if thats true then he must have done quite a bit of shrinking, around 4" in height.

Take a look at this photo. DC is listed as 5'10.
https://images.app.goo.gl/gj7a9NJKjKEfReoG9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This has been a persistent rumor and I suppose heroes need to be larger than life but why does HF have-to-be 6'2...?
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Yesterday at HJ one of the representatives claimed that Harrison was shorter than his leading lady, presumably Karen Allen, but I haven’t dug into it much. Ford’s height seems to shift from source to source, but in that image it doesn’t look like he is standing straight.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Feel like we are going back down the rabbit hole of HF's height, but since it is germane to the conversation of strap length...

This is a thread from 2006 in which Noel Howard is quoted as HF being 5' 9 1/2" with the bag strap being 65".

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... lit=height" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

Received mine, how ever I wont lay eyes on it till Xmas.
But I’ll post my review and a pic or two.

knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Indiana Jeff wrote:Feel like we are going back down the rabbit hole of HF's height, but since it is germane to the conversation of strap length...

This is a thread from 2006 in which Noel Howard is quoted as HF being 5' 9 1/2" with the bag strap being 65".

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... lit=height" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
I’m 5’11” and Harrison was easily 2 inches taller than me when I met him…
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Indiana Croft wrote:Received mine, how ever I wont lay eyes on it till Xmas.
But I’ll post my review and a pic or two.

Glad you received it! I included an Indy V 10’ whip holder as a Christmas “stocking stuffer,” if you will :TOH:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Shia LaBuffett is listed at 5'9"

https://images.app.goo.gl/C7wnabEA2zurSJer8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

We also need to keep in mind the shoes that they wear, and how their backs are positioned.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Indiana Jeff wrote:Feel like we are going back down the rabbit hole of HF's height, but since it is germane to the conversation of strap length...

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Agreed, Ford's height has been discussed ad nauseam elsewhere. :-0

To me there's far more evidence that his height is 6'1" whether he's shorter now due to age or back injury is irrelevant. Many members on this forum have physically met him and attested to his height. We have pictures of him standing next to other actors of similar height and he matches up. Even if he's not exactly 6'1" (6 and 1/4?) there's no way Ford is 5'9.

And Noel, just like Deborah Noodleman, decades after the fact could have been remembering wrong or written it down wrong, or had measurements from some stunt worker that he got mixed up, etc, etc.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

backstagejack wrote:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Agreed, Ford's height has been discussed ad nauseam elsewhere. :-0

To me there's far more evidence that his height is 6'1" whether he's shorter now due to age or back injury is irrelevant. Many members on this forum have physically met him and attested to his height. We have pictures of him standing next to other actors of similar height and he matches up. Even if he's not exactly 6'1" (6 and 1/4?) there's no way Ford is 5'9.

And Noel, just like Deborah Noodleman, decades after the fact could have been remembering wrong or written it down wrong, or had measurements from some stunt worker that he got mixed up, etc, etc.
For what it’s worth (likely nothing, since this topic never seems to die), I have met and shaken hands with both Harrison Ford, and Mark Hamill more than a few times throughout my career in film and television. I am 6’1” exactly and Ford appeared to be the same height as me, though I didn’t ask him to stand back to back so somebody could measure us. :rolling: Hamill is 5’9” and Ford is clearly several inches taller than him on screen and in press photos. So hopefully I’ve helped at least one person sleep tonight.

I don’t sleep. But it’s because I have two young kids. ](*,)
Stefan Hills
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Stefan Hills »

Harrison’s height being less than 6 feet needs to be put to rest once and for all. Regardless of age and loss of peak height or back injuries, the man is still at least 6 feet.

I am exactly 6 foot, and the shoes I wore had a 1 inch heel. We can debate if we see 6 foot, one inch or more but certainly not less than 6 foot.

knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Not that it should matter, because I didn’t realize this was another thread about Harrison’s height… but here is additional proof. Now, please stay on track of the original topic at hand: the RAIDERS strapImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

backstagejack wrote:
Even if he's not exactly 6'1" (6 and 1/4?) there's no way Ford is 5'9.
Agreed! On IMDB, Karen Allen is listed as being 5' 5", Kate Capshaw is 5' 7" and Alison Doody is 5' 9" and if you compare pictures you can see those height differences clearly.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Steven 5"7' & George 5'6"

https://images.app.goo.gl/uQEpN6TvVwQ91u3p8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ford, Mark & George

https://images.app.goo.gl/4KkYUDqVFXbXsVNw5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Luc & Luke

https://images.app.goo.gl/Sh8tvtiFpB8cLuPP7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Texan Scott wrote:Steven 5"7' & George 5'6"

https://images.app.goo.gl/uQEpN6TvVwQ91u3p8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ford, Mark & George

https://images.app.goo.gl/4KkYUDqVFXbXsVNw5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Luc & Luke

https://images.app.goo.gl/Sh8tvtiFpB8cLuPP7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
People also aren't taking into account the angle of the camera or if 1 person is slightly closer or farther etc. In those pics you posted one has Ford and Hamill almost the same height. In another of the exact same photo shoot... Ford towers over Hamill and Lucas.

Image Image

Ford is obviously taller than 5'9. So we should probably get back to the bag strap.

Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

Thank you Kyle, now I really can’t wait to open it.