Travel with your Fedora

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Raider Of The Lost Ark
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Travel with your Fedora

Post by Raider Of The Lost Ark »

Hi, I’m interested in the methods used to take your Fedora with you on holiday etc. I’m probably thinking more of trips that require travel by plane. Do you put it in your luggage, or wear it on the plane? If you wear it would you put it in the overhead compartment or wear / hold it the whole flight, to stop someone else’s luggage crushing it? I appreciate first class probably has hooks to hang your hat on. :D

I’ve read members stating they have stuck their hat in a ruc sac etc. Pictures of their hats show no discernible damage. I find it hard to believe that if I put my Fedora in a ruc sac, with other things, it would ever look right again. I still can’t believe they sat on the Raiders Fedora and it still looked as good as it did. Laurel & Hardy’s bowlers were often sat on etc. They never looked as good afterwards. :rolling:
IndyJedi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Travel with your Fedora

Post by IndyJedi »

I've taken my Fed on several plane trips and either wear it, place on the food tray or set it over my knee.
The Aviator
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The Aviator »

I usually just wear mine, I’m currently on a month long trip over the holidays and it’s never off my head when I’m out.

I’ve had a few very very windy days in the past when travelling and I have popped out the bash, flattened and rolled the hat up like a Panama. Fits into your rucksack and you won’t do any damage. Although obviously not a permanent storage solution.

Gerry
zeus36
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by zeus36 »

Like this:

jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Well, for one, I take my shangtung 'straw' Open Road. Those things have plenty of shellac in them. I've just tossed it to the side of the seat....

But if you wanna travel with your felt hat, wear it, stash it in your lap when you need the tray. I would not personally put my hat in the overhead. If you are very concerned about it, pick up a hat can. It's about as convenient as you would imagine carrying another small piece of luggage to be, but your hat will get there safely. These I will throw in the overhead. I got mine from Bencraft hatters in Brooklyn. I believe they still sell them, but they are not listed online. A similar version is available on a popular e-commerce website named after the largest river in South America.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Here is a thread where I show the use of a cheap tote bag. I've done the same to put my fedora under the seat while traveling by plane.

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... hilit=tote" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I'm traveling with more than one fedora, I'll pack one in my luggage. I just pack around it (and in it) and have no ill effects.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Raider Of The Lost Ark
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Raider Of The Lost Ark »

Indiana Jeff wrote:Here is a thread where I show the use of a cheap tote bag. I've done the same to put my fedora under the seat while traveling by plane.

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... hilit=tote" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I'm traveling with more than one fedora, I'll pack one in my luggage. I just pack around it (and in it) and have no ill effects.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Now I have to say I like this idea VERY much. :TOH:
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

I was wondering that very thing just the other day. I found this on Amazon, but not sure I want to spend $80.

Fedora Travel Case Panama Hats Bowler Hat Carrier Carry-on Bag for Men Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077MG1D57/re ... RFQEHYW1E9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

like others stated above, either wear it or place it on my knee or even lap whether it's my fedora or my cowboy hat. I won't put my hats on the ground or under my chair mostly because I just don't trust other folks. Same at a restaurant since I can't guarantee the floor is clean or won't become saturated with horrific fluids.

I'd look into a travel case etc but as I usually only do carry-on as much as possible, I can't take up that space. :TOH:
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

cm289 wrote:I was wondering that very thing just the other day. I found this on Amazon, but not sure I want to spend $80.

Fedora Travel Case Panama Hats Bowler Hat Carrier Carry-on Bag for Men Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077MG1D57/re ... RFQEHYW1E9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As I mentioned above, I travel with a similar case on longer flights; when I really, really don't want anything to happen to a particular hat (a nice straw, or expensive fe!t); or, I'm traveling with more than one hat. JMHO it's worth the investment. Though if you don't travel often, or wouldn't mind if your Indy hat got a little more broken in, maybe just wear it. Traveling with a case (on a plane) makes it your 'personal item,' which may or may not align with your packing habits.
Chiliana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chiliana Jones »

I usually bring my hat along onboard the plane. It may be on my head or resting on my lap. If the seat next to me is empty then I'll lay it there. I also have this really light cloth bag that I can put my hat in and put it underneath the seat in front of me if needed.
It has happened that I had to put my hat in the rucksack or in the checked-in suitcase too. It came out pretty beaten up when I arrived to the final destination but I just popped the crown back out and put the dents back in. There were still some signs of the hats recent travel experience in it but through a little time it found its original shape again all on its own.

Regards

CJ
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Any hat I take I wear, and do all the above but the packing in any baggage.

If it gets dirty, I carry a hat brush in my bag.

A hat is a tool, like a jacket, and I use mine as such.

Regards! Michaelson
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

I ended up getting the Atzi hat carrier for my recent travel and was thoroughly pleased with it. I typically like to wear a ball cap on flights and wanted something hard sided for the fedora. This fit nicely under the seat while still giving me room for my feet. It weighs practically nothing and the strap can be worn over the shoulder or converted to wear as a backpack. Two thumbs up.