Hat Storage

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Hat Storage

Post by bearbeast »

I hope this fits here. :-k

I used to keep my hats in my wardrobe in the bedroom, but lately space has been running low in my small apartment. In my hallway there was a space above the shoe rack, just two feet in height of unused space. So I decided to design and put together a custom closet for my hats. It's got three narrow levels just high enough to slide the hats in.

Hope you guys like it. I am quite proud of how it came out.

Cheers,
Bear
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Hat Storage

Post by IndianaJustin »

Looks great, good job.
How about some glass doors, so you can see the hats? They look really good displayed like that.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Thanks! I would like some glass doors, would look really good. At the moment it's a bit above my experience level though. Working with this hardware store wooden boards is as much as I could stretch my abilities this time.

Cheers,
Bear
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Looks brilliant! Love that it's relatively mobile too, so you can always move it. Don't forget moth protection though!

You might want to consider resting your hats upside down (resting on their crowns) so as to preserve the brim shape. Especially with Indy hats, it's all about the brims!

And glass doors are unnecessary. Unless you literally rotate your hats, having glass doors (or at least doors without UV films) might not be a great idea... They might end up being faded on one side in the long run.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Thanks for the tips, I never thought of keeping them the other way around, but it makes lots of sense!

Also, good idea about the moth repellant. I do have issues with moths every now and then. Gotta get some lavender pouches!

Cheers,
Bear
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

Wow, what a beautiful collection! I wonder, as an alternative to displaying them upside down, if there's enough room for small hat stands to help them keep their shape?

https://www.amazon.com/Western-01031-Ad ... 1930&psc=1
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Thanks! Hmmm, might work. There's about an inch between the crown and the next shelf. :-k :TOH:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I was going to make the same suggestion of the hat stands, I use them for all of my hats, including in hat boxes.

If you only have an inch clearance, they may be too tall though. I just checked one of mine and it holds the hat 1.5-2" off the surface of my desk.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Hmmm, I think I need to make something 'custom'. I have some nice 10+ ounce cowhide, that would work for this. A crown with some small tabs at the bottom. :)
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

You could potentially Dremel or cut down the legs of the stand maybe just enough to shorten them. Just a thought.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I prefer using this style hat stand for storage since it puts the weight of the hat on the sweatband which is designed to carry the weight of the hat.

A leather ring with or without tabs that raises the hat just high enough to get the brim off the surface could be ideal.

And I think there is a potential market for such a leather item....

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Castor Dioscuri wrote:Looks brilliant! Love that it's relatively mobile too, so you can always move it. Don't forget moth protection though!

You might want to consider resting your hats upside down (resting on their crowns) so as to preserve the brim shape. Especially with Indy hats, it's all about the brims!

And glass doors are unnecessary. Unless you literally rotate your hats, having glass doors (or at least doors without UV films) might not be a great idea... They might end up being faded on one side in the long run.
Glass doors for display purposes, the hats look good displayed like this. Plus don't you wear them in uv light? I guess if you never wear them... :-k
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

I need to see how I can shape the leather ring. Needs to be slightly conical I reckon. A little adjustable also. My hats all fit me, but they are not identical in size. I can also fit them on a case by case basis, but that's not a "professional" approach. #-o
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

IndianaJustin wrote:
Castor Dioscuri wrote:Looks brilliant! Love that it's relatively mobile too, so you can always move it. Don't forget moth protection though!

Glass doors for display purposes, the hats look good displayed like this. Plus don't you wear them in uv light? I guess if you never wear them... :-k
That's... taking what I said out of context...

I'm not saying don't expose them to UV light ever, I'm saying that if you display the hats with just one side facing the doors, they'll probably start fading unevenly. Think about it. If one side of the hat is facing the glass door (i.e. in the direction of sunlight), and the other towards the darkened shelf, what do you think will happen over time?

Think of Two-Face from Batman for example.

This is assuming you don't rotate them regularly, of course.
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Castor Dioscuri wrote:
IndianaJustin wrote:

That's... taking what I said out of context...

I'm not saying don't expose them to UV light ever, I'm saying that if you display the hats with just one side facing the doors, they'll probably start fading unevenly. Think about it. If one side of the hat is facing the glass door (i.e. in the direction of sunlight), and the other towards the darkened shelf, what do you think will happen over time?

Think of Two-Face from Batman for example.

This is assuming you don't rotate them regularly, of course.
No, all I'm saying is with glass doors you can see the hats on display. Glass doors are pretty handy in this regard. Once the point was introduced about the potential uv problem a solution was offered...if one had glass doors on their display case: wear em! No offense meant
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

:) :tup: