Eliason 10" Adventurer Bullwhip

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

IndyFrench
Writer of Things

Eliason 10" Adventurer Bullwhip

Post by IndyFrench »

I have cracked bullwhips for over 28 years, including owning an actual David Morgan and a Bernardo DelCarpio. I have always believed in the future of nylon/paracord whips as the way forward for bullwhips to stay relevant in the 21st century. Up until this purchase, that future was very much in doubt as an 8-foot paracord whip from a different maker was underwhelming when bought several years ago. In November, I received a 10-foot "Adventurer" paracord bullwhip from Eliason Whip Co. I spent 30 minutes with this whip in the backyard immediately upon receiving. This is one of the most enjoyable whip cracking experiences I've had. The future of bullwhips is bright, and I finally have a bullwhip that can truly endure an Indiana Jones-level adventure rather than rely on movie magic to suspend disbelief. Leather is snazzy and looks cool, but it would never survive half of what Indiana Jones puts it through. This here? This is a whip that can keep up with an Indiana Jones while doing everything a leather whip could do, while needing almost no maintenance whatsoever. This is my go-to bullwhip from here on out. I'll always cherish my leather bullwhips, but for actual "in the field" use - it's Eliason Whips every time.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Eliason 10" Adventurer Bullwhip

Post by IJJTM »

Very nice, having cracked multiple of Isaac’s whips, I can say they hold up pretty well especially the 20 footer he made a video on the construction of.Besides the whips, Mr. Whip Co himself is a really cool dude, I’ve gone cracking with him a few times and he definitely knows his stuff. Due to this excellent review, it dawns on me that I haven’t actually bought one of his whips yet, and I should definitely try to amend that soon. :whip:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I've been eyeing his Young Indy whip. Good to have another positive review to judge by.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Raider Of The Lost Ark
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Raider Of The Lost Ark »

That looks REALLY nice. Please let me know the colour etc you chose. It’s the first nylon whip I’ve seen that actually looks like leather. Congratulations. :TOH:
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

I have one of Isaac’s nylons as well. An 11.5ft Raiders style that I actually won in a raffle at the recent California Jones meetup. It’s a great whip, and incredibly durable. Took a bit of getting used to the weight for me, but it’s nice to have something to be less precious about.
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

Chose Poorly wrote:I have one of Isaac’s nylons as well. An 11.5ft Raiders style that I actually won in a raffle at the recent California Jones meetup. It’s a great whip, and incredibly durable. Took a bit of getting used to the weight for me, but it’s nice to have something to be less precious about.
Is it heavy or rather lightweight?
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

It’s pretty lightweight, I think it was one of his earlier whips that would’ve been a bit better it he put some extra weight on it, but I’d like to hear what Chose Poorly thinks of it.
IndyFrench
Writer of Things

Post by IndyFrench »

This whip was in the darker brown colour - I can't remember what they call it. I liked it better than the standard "tan" which looks almost like taupe, the colour of Indy's pants, I preferred some contrast if worn on the belt.

The weight is markedly lighter at first if you're used to leather bullwhips. However, once you get a feel for the whip, its performance is as responsive as a leather bullwhip, with a slight adjustment to the level of muscle and timing you put into it. I'd equate the feeling to jumping from a manual transmission Jeep into one with an automatic transmission. They both do off-road just fine, but they "feel" slightly different in the pedals.
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

tomek9210 wrote: Is it heavy or rather lightweight?
That was my question. First of all, I love the color and texture!
What is the weight of the whip?

I have a 10’ Jacka CS and Todd’s 8’. As much as I love cracking the Jacka it wears me out, so I find myself cracking the 8’ one more often, but I love the 10’ length.
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

That's what I thought. Most nylon whipmakers make their Indy whips too light. When the customer has both nylon and proper leather Indy whip, he or she may feel huge difference in terms of weight and balance of those whips.

I can assure that my Indy whips match leather ones when it comes to weight and balance :whip:
IndyFrench
Writer of Things

Post by IndyFrench »

tomek9210 wrote:That's what I thought. Most nylon whipmakers make their Indy whips too light. When the customer has both nylon and proper leather Indy whip, he or she may feel huge difference in terms of weight and balance of those whips.

I can assure that my Indy whips match leather ones when it comes to weight and balance :whip:
Tomek - I'd very much like to place an order with you for a 10-foot Indy/Raiders bullwhip soon. I've been to your Facebook page - do I just message you directly? Thanks - Michael
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

IndyFrench wrote:
tomek9210 wrote:That's what I thought. Most nylon whipmakers make their Indy whips too light. When the customer has both nylon and proper leather Indy whip, he or she may feel huge difference in terms of weight and balance of those whips.

Tomek - I'd very much like to place an order with you for a 10-foot Indy/Raiders bullwhip soon. I've been to your Facebook page - do I just message you directly? Thanks - Michael
Yes, you can send the direct message via my FB page or here at COW.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Sorry everyone! I forgot to subscribe to this topic so I missed the weight question.

It's certainly lighter than most of the leather whips I've handled, but I wouldn't say it's too light. It just takes a little more effort to crack than a heavier whip would.

I'd actually be open to selling it if anyone was interested, purely because I rarely have to time to crack it and would love for somebody to get some use out of it.