My AdVintage journey begins today...

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

IndyFrench
Writer of Things

My AdVintage journey begins today...

Post by IndyFrench »

I've been on a lifelong quest for a true Streets of Cairo since I was probably 6 years old in the 1980s. That will always be Indiana Jones to me. I love the other hats, truly, but until I feel I've captured that unicorn, I won't be able to get my longed-for grey clipper or Temple Bridge hats. I MUST perfect this desire first, before all else. After a lifetime of Dorfmans, a Stetson, a Peters Bros, a Federation, I went and bought the AB in 2004, that was re-blocked again by John Penman, and it is the closest I've ever come. As someone who wears my hats regularly in life, and not as costume pieces, it makes this quest even more fervent.

I was on the fence about Herbert Johnson vs. AdVintage and I spent 5 hours reading threads here and looking at photos. When the dust settled, I stepped away from HJ only for the reason that AdVintage is proving so 100% exacting in the very look I've hunted for my whole life. I will happily look into HJ for my grey clipper fedora down the road a piece. But for SOC, I placed my order for a MASTERPIECE AdVintage with Thomas today - and he has exchanged e-mails with me about the commission so I'm very excited. I'm going for a detail-accurate fedora, but without the stains or dirt marks. I have asked that the felt surface match the Raiders hat, as Thomas makes that an option. So it's a Hero SOC, without dirt and stains, but all other imperfections. Maybe I'll finally have that wild adventurer's fedora that can be slapped on with the ease of a lunatic's bonnet... we shall see!

Last edited by IndyFrench on Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: My AdVintage journey begins today...

Post by IndianaJustin »

Good for you, hope it's all you've wanted. Look forward to seeing pics when it comes.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Very nice, I was actually thinking about ordering the same thing, but I hadn’t heard/considered what you said about the felt surface.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

That's great! I've been so impressed with everything I've seen from Advintage. Will definitely treat myself one day!

Didn't know that modifying the felt surface was an option. Might be the best of both worlds! My hang-up with his SOC hats is that they are beaver, yet a truly accurate rabbit felt won't last after regular hard wear. Really curious to see how yours turns out!
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Also, are you going with his standard block or his newly acquired Marc Kitter Raider block? Though I’m not sure if he offers it for a Masterpiece, might be something to look into.
IndyFrench
Writer of Things

Post by IndyFrench »

Is the Kitter block more accurate?
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

I’m not entirely sure, Thomas has described it as more straight-sided. I’d ask his opinion on it.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Was that the block Kitter used for Crystal Skull, or did he have a duplicate of Steve's Raiders block? I have one of Steve's Raiders hats and I love that block shape.
IndyFrench
Writer of Things

Post by IndyFrench »

The hat I'm wearing in my avatar is one of the ABs off Steve's Raiders block also.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Thomas was given Marc’s Raiders, LC, and CS blocks, I’m assuming it is similar to Steve’s shape, but not sure if they’re identical.
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

In my experience, Thomas was a pleasure to work with, and I absolutely adore my Temple of Doom. I can't even imagine how nice the Masterpiece version must be. I will likely be coming back one day for more from him. AdVintage has definitely ascended, and shows no signs of slowing down with the diversifying of options. Highest recommendation, and looking forward to your pics when you get it.
belloq
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by belloq »

Congrats. Following, as I hope to finally pull the trigger on a fedora early next year. Can't wait to see the result. What is his typical turnaround time/estimate?
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

belloq wrote:Congrats. Following, as I hope to finally pull the trigger on a fedora early next year. Can't wait to see the result. What is his typical turnaround time/estimate?
At this point it depends on what tier you're buying at. The standard AdVintage is I believe at least 6 months now, while the CS on the ABD blocks I think he's estimating around 3 months, while the Masterpiece is 1-2 months.

Been a long time since the 30 day turnaround like mine.