That first childhood Indy fedora...back from the dead

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

IndyFrench
Writer of Things

That first childhood Indy fedora...back from the dead

Post by IndyFrench »

I've owned Dorfmans, Stetsons, Federations, Peters Bros, and Adventurebilts (reblocked by Penman no less). And soon, finally, a Herbert Johnson. But it all started in the summer of 1989. I was watching cartoons in the floor of the den. The sound of the kitchen door opening indicated my mother had returned home from shopping with a friend. Suddenly, something dropped down around my head and it was an official Indiana Jones hat she'd bought me at the local mall. They were selling them during the summer of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, which we hadn't seen yet, but I was already a huge Indiana Jones fan thanks to Raiders of the Lost Ark, and for years I'd dreamed of having a hat like Harrison Ford's.

At the time the hat was too big for me, but that was my mom - always buying things I'd grow into rather than grow out of too fast. I wore it to see Last Crusade TWICE, despite it being too big. When I grew into it a few years later, I wore it everywhere. I even removed the "Indiana Jones" pin from the side because Indy's hat didn't have his name on it! Then came the day it was too small and I was crushed. But I kept it anyway, because it was a bulletproof hat, despite being very inaccurate to Ford's actual fedora.

I burned through five more hats in the intervening years before finally finding another fedora that equaled the reliable toughness of my first. Of those other five hats, two were given to friends (because they'd shrunk and fit my friends perfectly), and the other three proved to be cheap trash and were binned.
hat_small_3.jpg
Today, I found my original hat in a storage bin. It was looking all of its 37 years of age. As a kid, I'd accidentally sat on it a few times, and whatnot. Now the brim was horrendously janky as well. But I couldn't throw it away. Instead, I broke out the iron, some towels, and a lot of patience, and spent an hour and a half bringing the hat back to how it had (almost) originally looked in the summer of 1989 when mom dropped it on my little head.

It was a risk to subject this irreplaceable hat to an iron, but if Indiana Jones taught me anything, it's to take a leap of faith. After I was satisfied, it was time for the finishing touch. A few months ago, my father had coincidentally brought me a pile of things he'd found while cleaning out the garage. In a small film cannister was the original brass Indiana Jones hat pin, slightly tarnished with age, but I was shocked to see it at all. My Dad has always been a packrat, and I suspect he kept the pin after I'd taken it off the hat all those years ago. So I washed it and placed it back onto the ribbon where it had originally been.

Now, my original Indiana Jones hat is whole again, and ready to take a place of honour in the studio. So many dreams and memories are wrapped up in this hat that it's become an artifact in its own right, a surviving record of a major part of my life and the path I chose to walk. I'm glad it is still with me.
hat_small_2.jpg
Do you still have your original childhood Indy hat? I'd love to see them!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: That first childhood Indy fedora...back from the dead

Post by Michaelson »

I still have a couple of my original Stetsons from back in the TofD days, sweat stained and all, along with a brand new, unworn TofD Stetson that was supposed to be sold in the theater lobbies, but never was, in a box in the closet.

I was wearing a JCPenny Marathon before that (which predated Raiders by about 10 years), but that has long since disappeared into the annals of time and moves.

So yeah, I still have a few 'originals' laying around. ;)

Regards! Nucgaeksib
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Here's my original Dorfman Pacific hat that I got from Disney when I was younger. It went on many adventures with me until it inevitably became too small for my head.

It's nice to see you back on the forum IndyFrench, hope you stay around, and I'm looking forward to seeing your Herbert Johnson in the near future. :TOH:
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

My original hat was a hand-me-down from a great Uncle. Not accurate at all to what we know know, but was IT when I was 11. It survived many adventures up at our cabin, and even a BB bullet wound. When my son was young and getting into Indy, I passed it down to him. He'd play with it and his toy whip from CS, which I think he broke the sound button eventually. I even found my old shoulder back my mom made me out of a green canvas backpack. I'm sure they're all packed up somewhere with his Cookie Monster hoodie, and I'll come across them and remember fondly TWO childhood's worth of use of them. :TOH:

Good to see you around French!
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Wow, great story! What's old is new again... or is that, what's new is old again? :)

I know how you feel about stuff like that from your childhood. I have a few things like that as well and they are truly treasured items from a past that was good...
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

My first Indy hat was a canvas khaki colored safari hat complete with a puggaree band my Mom got me from Kmart when I was in middle school. Even then I knew it didn't match Indy's hat, that didn't bother me a whit. Wore it as part of Indy cosplay for years.

Rocked an LL Bean hat I bought my freshmen year in college (fall of 1989) and wore happily for cosplay until 2009 when I got my first real fedora and began being a daily fed wearer. Wearing it here in the spring of 2008 with my then close enough Indy cosplay.

The LL Bean has been used extensively by my kids over the years and is still tucked away in a closet.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

My first fedora was picked up over 30 years ago from Adam's City Hatters in Tampa, FL (the same place Harry Anderson used to get his hats from). It was a Borsalino Alessandria sitting in the shop window... a black fedora that had a bit too much of the Florida sun and was now a dark chocolate color. Thanks to the discoloration, it was sold to me at half price... only $45 back then.

The ribbon has been changed a couple of time... but this old classic still fits:

The liner reflects its age better:

Kind regards,
Magnoli :TOH:
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

IndyFrench, great to see you on the boards!!! :TOH:

This makes for a very interesting thread. Great pics, too! :mrgreen:

I never had a childhood Indy fedora. In fact, I didnt get my first fedora until I was 20 years old. :o

Thats around when I first joined COW and purchased an Akubra Federation 3.

Here are some pics...

Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Just wanted to share a pic of my very old Stetson I believe they called it the poet, not sure.
Was trying to find a picture of before, but it must have been before the age of digitalization.

Anyway I was in need of a beater for outside work, bought an Acurba, but was a little heavier for this, sweated way to much.
But I was cleaning an area of the basement when this fell off a shelf/somewhere as I hadn't seen in like forever.
A little cleaning/lots of cleaning.
Wetted the rim to reshape it some as it was all kinds of wonky.
And presto, a beater.

And it's perfect for my needs. This like one of my firt Fedora's that was anywhere close to the real deal, foward today, and my AB, adVintage are closer to what you see on screen, but for a beater, this will do nicley.
:TOH:

Croft :mrgreen: