Cooper's A2

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

baddates1
Vendor

Cooper's A2

Post by baddates1 »

I couldn't decide between this section or Lao Che's, I'll let mod's move if necessary (not that they need my permission for it :[ ).

I recently scored a Cooper's A-2 from the 90's on eBay, which is sized as 48r. My Wested LC is at 46r, and fits me decently (I'd say the sleeves are 1" too short). Not perfect fit, but close enough for a standard jacket. Below are pics of the Cooper I should be getting on Wednesday.

Anyways, I measured mine via arms, chest, inseam, etc. And considering the options available last week on eBay, I decided to go for it. Should it fit fine, or will it be a touch too baggy? I don't wish to look fat, considering I've been working on losing weight for over 1 1/2 years :roll:

Thanks!
-Reese
Last edited by baddates1 on Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Cooper's A2

Post by WConly »

Looks good! I would say you have done very well here :clap: ! Let us know how it fits, feels, etc. W>
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

I found one identical to that in a thrift shop a couple of years ago that was too small for me but for the price I bought it anyway- I thought my daughter might want it. She loves it. They fit on the smaller side, so I think you'll be good!
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

So if it's a WWII cut, it should be snugger than a normal modern A2. Let us know how it fits.

Also, I've been looking at these for years as a good WWII jacket, I'm interested if it has hand warmer pockets or not, so far it's hard to find any descriptions on that. I'd be interested if so. (the pics here do not look like it does)

Good luck! looks like a great jacket.
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

backstagejack wrote:So if it's a WWII cut, it should be snugger than a normal modern A2. Let us know how it fits.

Also, I've been looking at these for years as a good WWII jacket, I'm interested if it has hand warmer pockets or not, so far it's hard to find any descriptions on that. I'd be interested if so. (the pics here do not look like it does)

Good luck! looks like a great jacket.
Thanks man. As far as I'm aware, it is the WWII cut that Coopers originally used, which also means no hand warmer pockets. If I had my way, I'd find a way to have that done, but for now it'll do.

I'll keep you guys posted!
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Most Coopers are cut very wide and big but I have seen some slimmer cuts.

Actual World War Two jackets in a size 48 (pretty rare) would today fit like a size 44. They were really trim, no matter which A2 pattern supplier.

A trim 48 in a Cooper is hard to imagine, but I guess if the shoulders are around 21-22 inches across then it is a trim one. Most Coopers were cut big. I had a 42 which was 22 inches across the shoulders. A war issue 42 would have been around 18 inches.
donovan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by donovan »

I have the cooper A2 which I purchased new back in the mid 1990's. Mine is a roomier cut jacket especially in the upper sleeves. It's a comfortable fit but is designed with no handwarmers, no inside pockets, no stud fasteners on the storm flap. It does have a hook and eye fastening at the top of the zipper, the collar is secured by two hidden press studs to stop it flapping in the wind.
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

Got the jacket in today! Feels nice, fits nice in the arms/chest, and overall makes me feel great!

The only issue I have is in the torso length - it seems just an inch or 2 too short. The arm length is great, the fit is awesome, just the length of the torso. It really grips the bottom stomach a bit (due to the webbing), which can make me feel somewhat self-conscious. I'm not sure if I should sell this and get one slightly larger, or if this is where it should sit naturally. You can see my belt buckle sticking out from the bottom.

backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Looks great to me.

Again, if this is a WWII cut ( I do not know the history of Cooper jackets) than a higher waist makes sense to me buuuuut I really don't know.

It does seem high (as you said it's almost over your belt).....but to me it looks good but could be personal taste really.

Notice how high these cuts are and that's with pants that have a higher waist on them.

How's the fit otherwise, shoulders and sleeves? If it's a bit tight in either space, I could see going up another size or maybe you could find a 48L?
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

backstagejack wrote:Looks great to me.

Again, if this is a WWII cut ( I do not know the history of Cooper jackets) than a higher waist makes sense to me buuuuut I really don't know.

It does seem high (as you said it's almost over your belt).....but to me it looks good but could be personal taste really.

Notice how high these cuts are and that's with pants that have a higher waist on them.

How's the fit otherwise, shoulders and sleeves? If it's a bit tight in either space, I could see going up another size or maybe you could find a 48L?
Great photos! You're correct, it's the 80's Cooper WWII cut edition, which I can definitely feel as I wear it. It feels different from a typical Wested or Gibson and Barnes Indy jacket, and feels like you're supposed to wear higher pants with it.

Unfortunately for me, I wear cowboy cut jeans by Wrangler, and they don't ride very high :lol:

I took the jacket to my job today doing deliveries, and as amazing (and slimming) it felt, every time I got out of the car the jacket would ride up in back, and I'd be forced to pull it down for adjustment. Maybe a few more days of trouble shooting, and going from there. Personally, I'd rather not have to worry about if my gut or back is showing every time I raise arms or get out of a car, but if it's authentic and looks good, then I may keep 'er. More to come!
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I think it looks right. Those jackets were cut short so they didn't bunch up on the pilots when seated. At the end of the day it's your choice. If you don't like the fit, you won't reach for the jacket so there won't be a point in keeping it.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

I agree. I also have a Cooper A-2 and my issue with it (now that you mention it) is that I also feel that it's a bit short compared with other jackets. It also rides up on me as well.

BUT, it is a WWII design and it is what it is. I love the look of it. You look good in it!
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Not too bad a fit for a modern A2. If you look at photos from the time A2's fit all over the place, baggy and tight, short and long. So period accuracy is a bit problematic. The shoulders don't seem overly wide which is the usual problem with the modern ones which are usually not cut anything like the various original patterns.