A New "Close Enough" Indy boot

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Indydawg

A New "Close Enough" Indy boot

Post by Indydawg »

Hey, all!

I wanted to share with everyone a new source for a "close enough" Indy style boot. They are called the "Contflex" by an Italian shoe making company called Astorflex. They hand make each pair, the leather is to die for, and they really fit and look a LOT like the Alden boots. AND, they are super-reasonably priced!!!

I just got a pair, and I'm really pleased with them--VERY comfortable, and VERY nice boots. Plus, the Huckberry folks are WONDERFUL to deal with. I had to order several pairs to get the ones that really fit well, and the ease of returning the boots I didn't need was phenomenal.

Have a look and see what you think:

https://huckberry.com/store/astorflex/c ... 8-contflex" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers!
ID
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: A New "Close Enough" Indy boot

Post by Charybdis »

Yeah, that definitely would be a "close enough" other than it's a shorter Chukka style, but hardly anyone sees that under your pants leg....I've seen Huckberry brand before. Lots of cool stuff they have.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Those are nice looking chukka boots with an Indy vibe. Actually very similar to the chukka boots favored by Daniel Craig as Bond, right down to the studded rubber soles.

I may get a pair in the Tan Leather. What was the reason for having to get several pairs to dial in the size? Too tight, too loose?

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Hey, Jeff!

The deal with ordering several different sizes is that I'm just really particular about how my shoes fit. I ordered an 8, 8.5, and a 9 because I wear a size 9 in MOST shoes, but, as is usually the case with very high quality shoes, the higher the quality shoe, the more likely you are to need your actual foot size, length-wise.

The 8s would have worked better length wise for me, but they were a little too snug in the toes, and I knew if I wore anything but thin socks, I couldn't wear them. So, I went with the 8.5s.

And yeah, the uppers are a little shorter than the Aldens. But, I don't mind that...again, for a regular casual boot, they're pretty close. And I hadn't thought about them being like the ones Craig wears as Bond...but, they sure are!

Hope that helps!
ID
Oklahoma Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Oklahoma Jones »

Stratton hats has a sheriff hat in chocolate brown that can be easily converted into a pretty nice replica of Fedora’s hat...
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

I found another close enough boots made by Berwick:

https://www.gentlemanstore.pl/Berwick-Northland-brazowe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sole construction is a bit different from Alden's, but overall look is pretty good I think.

969 PLN is 244 USD at the moment.
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

And they've got Dainite soles... very nice!
Raider Of The Lost Ark
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Raider Of The Lost Ark »

I like the look of the Berwicks, not entirely sold on the colour. However I think I could live with it. This thread reminded me that, when very young, I thought that dark brown, nubuck, Timberland boots were ‘close enough’.

I realise now that they would only be close enough, if ‘Indy’ were a character in ‘The Wire’ :rolling:
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

The other new kid on the block is the new Nicks moc toe model. They're like an Indy boot mixed a bit with a Red Wing moc toe and put on steroids to compete in Mr. Olympia. Like other PNW boots, the heel is a bit high but you can get it made with some nice heritage soles as well. I normally wear the Urban Drifter on expeditions, but I may pick a pair of these moc toes up in the near future. If Indy were a 21st Century guy, these would probably be his go-to.

https://nicksboots.com/shop/new-arrivals/moc-toe-boots/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Grant Stone Brass boots are also a good, super-rugged option as well

https://www.grantstoneshoes.com/collections/boots" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

I’d love a pair of Nicks, they look great and I’m sure are very durable.

Many know about the JCrew Alden clone, but now it has a new sole and chromexel leather so I’ll re-add it to the mix

https://www.jcrew.com/p/mens/categories ... ther/AZ797" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;