Advintagebilt DLX? A Potential Utopian Future for Indy Hats

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Advintagebilt DLX? A Potential Utopian Future for Indy Hats

Post by Chose Poorly »

I know Thomas is active on COW and will likely see this, so I start this thread with the utmost respect for him and his craft. Many would argue that Advintage currently offers the finest, and most accurate Indy fedoras available. I have not yet had the pleasure of owning one, but I regularly drool over photos of them.

My intention is not to spread rumors, but as those who follow Advintage on Facebook have likely already seen, Marc Kitter of the still dormant Adventurebilt Deluxe was in the Advintage workshop with Thomas today. This could just be a simple meeting of two brilliant hatters and Indy fans… but it could also be more. And Thomas ended his post with a vague but playful “(more to come…)”.

Does this mean that there could be an Advintagebilt Deluxe (Adventurebilt Deluxe x Advintage) fedora in our future? I sure hope so!!! :BD:

Bring back to us! Bring back to us!

That’s all, just sharing my wishful thinking with the community so you call all show what I assume will be overwhelming enthusiasm for the idea of Marc getting back in the game, and some sort of collaboration with Thomas.

Pop over to Advintage’s Facebook page to see the post, and play nice! :TOH:

https://www.facebook.com/17178064954353 ... 81929/?d=n
The Aviator
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Advintagebilt DLX? A Potential Utopian Future for Indy H

Post by The Aviator »

Now that is very promising!

My AB Deluxe is the best felt I’ve had my hands on, although not a hat I wear very often.

It would be great to see the AB name continue on, especially as we don’t know when John may be back up and running!

Cheers

Gerry
Loneken
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Loneken »

Saw it as well on his FB page and had the same thought. The "more to come" was such a tease
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Had a similar thought re: Penman, though the last communication I received suggested that he may be getting back to it in the next month or two. We’ll see.
tubasthebest
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by tubasthebest »

Here's to hoping!! A Deluxe is a holy grail item for me! =P~
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Looks like I might need to start saving up.
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

IJJTM wrote:Looks like I might need to start saving up.
Thinking the same thing :-k
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Yup. I've basically offered to pay Thomas now for his yet to be released (or even announced) product in hopes of incentivizing this dream into reality for all of us.:rolling:
TexHill
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by TexHill »

I have an Advintage Masterpiece that my wife gave me this summer as a wedding gift. I love my Masterpiece - I literally wear it every day - and I don't see how Thomas can improve on what I would consider the perfect hat.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

TexHill wrote:I have an Advintage Masterpiece that my wife gave me this summer as a wedding gift. I love my Masterpiece - I literally wear it every day - and I don't see how Thomas can improve on what I would consider the perfect hat.
Well it’s less about an improvement on Thomas’ current offerings and more about the continuation of a legacy. A collaboration with Marc would potentially give Thomas access to some of the last remaining blocks that were used to craft screen used hats (barring HJ blocks used for Indy V). Similar to Penman’s (currently unavailable) ABL offerings using Steve Delk’s blocks and materials, there would potentially be premium/deluxe offerings like what Marc used to offer under the Advintage umbrella.

All speculation of course, but the point is Thomas’ reputation of making stellar Indy hats (as you mentioned) may have landed him the opportunity to revive the Adventurebilt Deluxe brand.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Before things get whipped to fever pitch, I suggest allowing Thomas to post what is actually going on before saving up cash to throw at him for an imagined and wished for cooperative effort of the two master hatters. :-k

He could just as well meant more photos to come of him and Marc roasting marshmallows by an open fire after his visit at the shop. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Michaelson wrote:Before things get whipped to fever pitch, I suggest allowing Thomas to post what is actually going on before saving up cash to throw at him for an imagined and wished for cooperative effort of the two master hatters. :-k

He could just as well meant more photos to come of him and Marc roasting marshmallows by an open fire after his visit at the shop. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Fair enough. I do love a well roasted marshmallow almost as much as a meticulously crafted fedora. :#:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

ME too!!!! =P~
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Michaelson wrote:ME too!!!! =P~
Well it is finally roasting season! :twisted:
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Won't hurt me save up for the next totally amazing thing I can't live without. If it's a fedora, great ;)
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

When I last spoke to Marc a few months ago, he was pretty adamant that he will no longer be making any hats. While it is entirely possible that Marc might pass on his knowledge and materials to a fellow hatter- I wouldn’t get my hopes up too much for Marc’s return.
The Aviator
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The Aviator »

jnicktem wrote:When I last spoke to Marc a few months ago, he was pretty adamant that he will no longer be making any hats. While it is entirely possible that Marc might pass on his knowledge and materials to a fellow hatter- I wouldn’t get my hopes up too much for Marc’s return.

I was reading the “more to come” as an AB Deluxe Legacy, like Penman with AB US, rather than Marc making hats again.

Again all idle speculation. Although, one has to wonder what is being teased… :lol:

Cheers

Gerry
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

The Aviator wrote:
jnicktem wrote:When I last spoke to Marc a few months ago, he was pretty adamant that he will no longer be making any hats. While it is entirely possible that Marc might pass on his knowledge and materials to a fellow hatter- I wouldn’t get my hopes up too much for Marc’s return.

I was reading the “more to come” as an AB Deluxe Legacy, like Penman with AB US, rather than Marc making hats again.

Again all idle speculation. Although, one has to wonder what is being teased… :lol:

Cheers

Gerry
Same. It's quite clear Marc is done making hats.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

I’m excited what ever come out of this.
I have a Master Piece on order, i just gave him some spec’s but I have a ways to go.

Croft :mrgreen:
The Aviator
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The Aviator »

So Advintage confirmed on their FB page. We have them doing an Adventurebilt Deluxe line, and not just the Crystal Skull \:D/

Cheers

Gerry

Edit: As requested link here - https://facebook.com/thomasadvintage/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by The Aviator on Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Wow, now what do I do?! :-k
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

The Aviator wrote:So Advintage confirmed on their FB page. We have them doing an Adventurebilt Deluxe line, and not just the Crystal Skull \:D/

Cheers

Gerry
Link?

Regards! Michaelson
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

There it is!

https://www.advintage.de/index.php/2021 ... s/?lang=en

Today I’m very happy to share some great news with you about a growth of the adVintage Fedora line-up. I would like to tell you about some new hat models that will be available in a few weeks and about what was happening here at my workshop lately.

First of all with good news come some bad. You might have seen my post here from late October about the visit of Marc Kitter, maker of the original Indiana Jones 4 fedora hat. In short the bad news is, as some of you might already guess or know, Marc is not returning to the hatmaking business. He’s well, don’t worry! He’s just doing something different now. Good news is the things that made his work and the Adventurebilt Deluxe Fedoras so unique won’t be forgotten…

When I started making hats back in 2009 the AB DLX fedoras already were the measure of all things. So, of course, Marc never needed to be afraid of a new competitor, but I tried to become one for some years. Therefore the atmosphere was, let’s say interesting, when we met in person. Since then some time has passed and I gladly had the opportunity to see Marc working on hats and even to work together with him. I was not surprised finding out that he’s a really great guy, but I was surprised that (I hope I may say that) a friendship developed.

Long story short… I’m am very happy and proud to say that Marc not only entrusted to me his hat blocks. It’s an even greater honor to me that he also gave to me his AB hat linings and sweatbands that were left, so that I can take care of reblocking and refurbishing Adventurebilt Deluxe Fedoras in the future.

That all allows me to announce the first new hat model, an adVintage CS Hero Fedora, made on the original blocks (even on the original Ford Hero block if you like), with the same type and colour of 100% best beaver felt. I will try to reproduce every single hatmaking and sewing technique Marc used for his fedoras here.

Marc really raised hatmaking to art. Of course, I am not Marc and adVintage is not Adventurebilt DLX…, but what I can promise is that I will do my best to get as close to the original as possible.

I’m also happy to say that you now can choose between the AB and adVintage crown block designs when it comes to a Raiders or LC Fedora hat. I will make some comparison photos asap, but it might take some time.

Furthermore all adVintage handmade hats will also be available in 100% rabbit felt in different colours soon. Many customers were asking for this, it’s just screen accurate for the first three movies. I will try to make the rabbit felt as durable as possible by pre-aging the felt and waterproofing it twice (inside and outsife felt), but you need to keep in mind that rabbit felt will never be as durable as beaver.

With all the good news, I unfortunately have to admit that I am a bit behind schedule with your orders, I’m very sorry. At the moment I’m working on orders from July and it will still take some time to catch up. If you want to change or cancel your order you can send me an email anytime, that’s no problem at all.

In the next weeks there will be plenty of work, but I’m happily looking forward to it!

I leave you with some impressions from my workshop and just three words, “Thank you, Marc!”
Last edited by Chose Poorly on Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
tubasthebest
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by tubasthebest »

Really exciting news. I can’t believe I’m going to buy another brown fedora…. But how could I pass this up?
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

That's amazing! Looking forward to seeing the comparisons.
Bo Invader
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Bo Invader »

Looks like I'll have to start saving up again :D
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Thanks for posting, CP! :TOH:

This is GREAT news for those who missed out on these ‘back in the day’!

Regards! Michaelson
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Looks like I’ll have to add another hat to my AD order. :lol:
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

Chose Poorly wrote:There it is!

https://www.advintage.de/index.php/2021 ... s/?lang=en

I’m also happy to say that you now can choose between the AB and adVintage crown block designs when it comes to a Raiders or LC Fedora hat. I will make some comparison photos asap, but it might take some time.
I have a 2.5 year old Harrison (60cm) in need of reblocking, which this sounds like a great oppoertunity to have it done with the AB Raiders block :shock:

Please show side by sides, I really would like to see them :TOH:
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

This is sweet news for as Michelson says, to get one. I have CS made by Steve and I wear it, but not as much.
Just trying to keep in as close to spec.

I have a Advantage on order, but no changes, I will stay the course.
And it’s not like I need a hat to wear #-o

Marc will certainly be busy.

Croft :mrgreen:
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

It's great they're doing this because it would be a shame to just keep that equipment in storage and not making or reblocking hats.

And now we know we have another place to send our ABs to get reblocked, which is reassuring.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Thomas just got back to me and it seems like he is open to doing reblocks on ABL’s seeing as how John is MIA.
The Aviator
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The Aviator »

IJJTM wrote:Thomas just got back to me and it seems like he is open to doing reblocks on ABL’s seeing as how John is MIA.
Good news for me. Whilst I never really wear my AB Deluxe, my 07 AB is rarely off my head. It is in need of some real TLC, after this winter he will be getting an email!

I’m genuinely just happy this torch is being passed on to a like minded hatter with fans in mind!

Cheers

Gerry
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Based on a recent exchange with Thomas, I have a quick update to shed some light on this recent announcement...

The Adventurebilt Deluxe liners and sweatbands given to Thomas by Marc are exclusively for Adventurebilt renovations and will not be put in any newly crafted hats. Thomas has not acquired any branding rights from Marc, and cannot make any new Adventurebilt or Adventurebilt Deluxe hats, without exception. For those who already own Adventurebilt hats in need of renovation, he will utilize the original materials from Marc for those hats only, and it sounds like the wait time for any renovation work matches that of any new hat orders, which is currently about 6 months for standard adVintage hats and 3 months for adVintage Masterpiece hats.

For fans of Steve and Marc's original hats who aren't specifically seeking out any Adventurebilt branded finishings, Thomas will be offering hats made on Marc's blocks in addition to his own, and will match Marc's felt offerings. But any hats made on Marc's blocks will still be considered adVintage hats.

More to come from Thomas on the differences produced by his and Marc's blocks soon.
Loneken
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Loneken »

Sorry about my ignorance when it gets to fedoras, but were Marc's blocks used to make any of the screen used hats?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yes. Steve provided Marc with blocks made for AB by Lamode West that were kept on file there, so his hats AND Marc's hats would match in appearance on screen. The only difference was the materials they used, which were from different sources, but the blocks were all the same.

Regards! Michaelson
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Thanks, Michaelson!

Thomas mentioned that he will have access to Marc’s “Ford” block used for the production commissioned CS hats just like Steve’s.

To add, I believe Marc only made brown hero hats for CS, which were then sent to Steve for finishing. Steve made both brown hero hats and the grey travel hats. So anyone after a CS grey travel hat from Thomas would be getting one of Thomas’ “Imperial Grey” felts blocked on the slightly shorter CS hero hat block, modified by Thomas to match the larger crown and brim specs of the travel hats made by Steve. For a completely screen accurate CS travel hat, one would have to wait and see if Penman re-enters the scene since he has Steve’s CS blocks.

The elusive “Michaelson block” is currently out of commission. ;)
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Dang. :?

Regard! Michaelson
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

So if I wanted to order a new hat from Thomas the only different would be the block and slightly different materials?
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

IJJTM wrote:So if I wanted to order a new hat from Thomas the only different would be the block and slightly different materials?
Different blocks than his adVintage offerings, but pretty much the same felt since both Thomas and Marc use Portuguese Beaver. Until Thomas adds the rabbit felt he mentioned in his announcement, which will be a completely new addition to his lineup to appease those wanting to order a Raiders hat in rabbit on Marc's Raider block, similar to John Penman's ABL Raiders offering.
tubasthebest
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by tubasthebest »

The listings are live on the updated AdVintage website: CS Hero Fedora
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

To add onto that, Thomas told me that he won’t be adding items for Marc’s Raiders or LC blocks, instead when you order you would put in the notes that you would like it to be done with Marc’s blocks.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Looks like he added a Portuguese rabbit felt option as well. Listed as the “Legend Fedora” and shaped to any of the original three movies:
https://shop.advintage.de/en/Legend-Fed ... /adV-R-1.1

Also, the current turnaround on the CS Hero is only 35-60 days. That’s super fast compared to 180 for his other hats (besides the Masterpiece Fedoras).
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Looks to me like Thomas really nailed the CS look. https://shop.advintage.de/en/CS-Hero-Fe ... /adV-CSH-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

IJJTM wrote:Looks to me like Thomas really nailed the CS look. https://shop.advintage.de/en/CS-Hero-Fe ... /adV-CSH-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Agree. Beautiful hat!
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

I noticed that on the website, it says that about twice as many hours go into a CS Hero compared to a regular Advintage hat. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if the extra work does anything for the durability of the hat (eg waterproofing, keeping its shape from tapering, etc)? Or is this just a cosmetic/aesthetic difference?

Exciting news, and I feel like it's 2008 all over again! ;)
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

I’ll shoot Thomas a message, I’m curious as well, my best guess is that Thomas and Marc have different methods, but I’m likely wrong.
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Much appreciated, curious to hear his thoughts! :TOH:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

“Back in the day” Steve and Marc talked about how they had developed a technique to pre-age the felt thereby “killing” it that would help prevent shrinkage and tapering. I assume that is the extra work Thomas is putting into making these.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Here’s what Thomas says - “It's because of the pre-aging of the felt, the finer felt surface and the finer sewing techniques. You can find more info in the product description of an adVintage "MasterPiece", the hat making techniques are mainly the same.”