IndyGear in Disney California Adventure's Buena Vista Street

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

IndyHatGuy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

IndyGear in Disney California Adventure's Buena Vista Street

Post by IndyHatGuy »

Hello all, Eddie the Indy-Cast So-Cal Reporter checking in. You may not have heard of me because I've not been on in about 100 episodes but being an Actor in six Musical Productions at my High School can take a lot of time out of your Indy-Cast listening schedule. :cry: But I still live and try to warn people about Southern California related Indy news and THIS is something I could not pass up!

I am not only a huge IndyFan but also a HUGE Disney Fan, especially when it comes to the Disney Parks. I live only half an hour away from Disneyland and when I go to College, I'll be right next door! Praying to be a Jungle Cruise Skipper! [-o< :D \:D/ =P~ But enough of that later, hopefully you know that Disney California Adventure has been in the middle of a multi-billion dollar expansion and re-imagining of the park adding the new 12 Acre Cars Land and the new entrance: Buena Vista Street! I love the new Cars Land, and even if you hate the movie, you'll LOVE the land. Guaranteed, I've taken some haters to lovers already. Personally I do like Buena Vista Street just a bit more. It's probably the retro in me! The detail packed into such a small space is overwhelming and something that cameras CAN NOT CAPTURE! It is beautiful and with replica Red Car Trolleys the land has a kinetic quality not seen in it's predecessor, a fountain which some call "the Golden Hubcap." I don't blame them either. It is truly charming and now for your Indy-themed portion.

The new land, Buena Vista Street, is themed to the 1920's and it's telling the story of when Walt Disney first arrived in Los Angeles in 1923 and is soaking in the atmosphere. The atmosphere of the area is created to look like the inspirations for many of Walt Disney's future projects. There are many fun gags for Disney Fans to follow. Well, could Indy have walked in Walt's shoes? According to the shops YES almost literally! On display are two, not one, TWO pairs of Aldens! Also in the 1920's NO ONE goes anywhere without a hat. It's a good thing for Walt that at "Los Feliz Five & Dime" they get hats right from the finest makers! Delk, Kitter, and Witthuhn to be exact! It's hard to forget their slogan "Made to Measure Built to Last, When Good Enough Won't Do" :- That's why I'm placing this in the fedora section. :shock: THAT IS INCREDIBLE TO ME! :o The Adventurebilt Hat company's names and slogans right out in the open! AMAZING! Hopefully someone can bring this to the attention of Steve or Marc, I'd LOVE to hear if they had anything to do with this or the amazing felt hats on display. Two hats are said to be copies of hats Walt wore himself. It could have been John Penman as well, he is closer and I know for sure he makes replica hats from pictures but I definitely wouldn't put it past Adventurebilt to make replica hats too! Also in the shop is a rack of ties. ALMOST EVERY TIE IS A MAGNOLI TIE! I only can't place one, every other one is on his site. That must be huge for him! Part of the Disney legacy by making Indy.

You want pictures? Well I don't know how to put them on the forum. BUT I do have a facebook that I can put a public album on so that's what I did! Sorry so short but it hits all the things I mentioned!: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 721&type=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well that's pretty much it for the update. Can't say much more except how awesome this whole experience is. Everyone should go as soon as they can to see the new California Adventure! It's incredible! Looks like it can be a day trip off of the Queen Mary Summit! While I'm only going to be a College Freshman, I have a large knowledge of Disney and Indy and this'll be my first summit. Hopefully I can contribute something helpful at the Disney Parks for that, if not this year maybe next! Sound's like fun! Enjoy the pictures and please respond below!
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: IndyGear in Disney California Adventure's Buena Vista St

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Thanks for the detailed report! Magnoli mentioned in another thread he had provided items for Disney displays, nice to see them 'in person'.

Awesome about the AB connection!

And if I'm not mistaken, the hatboxes look very much like the ones I have gotten from Sarah's Hat Box.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Indiana Jake
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Seated in a Pan Am Sea Plane, flying over a map of Glendale, CA

Post by Indiana Jake »

So-Cal Reporter,

I was a Jungle Cruise skipper when I worked there during college. Fun stuff. Only Indy fans will recognize the ties and the shoes. Nice product placement Indy Magnoli!

Jake Johnson
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

I just got back from a trip to the House-O-Mouse.
Previously, when I though of DCA, my first reaction was always "Meh".
Now, it's just AWESOME! You really do get the feeling that you are stepping into movie from the 1930's as soon as you walk in.

I have a feeling that just like the ties, those boots on display at the five and dime came from Magnoli as well. He has the same Victorian style button up boots for sale on his site.

It was very cool to see the subtle Indy connections inside the five and dime, but, I found one more just outside. At the gas station a few doors down, there is a 1936 Packard 120 coupe parked at the pumps, the same kind of car that is parked outside of Indy's house in Raiders. That one is probably unintentional, but, you never know with those Disney guys.
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

Can't wait to see that when I go back this year.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

That's awesome! I wonder why they didn't use the AB Logo though... :-k

Shane
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

My guess is because they may not have been asked formally. This looks more like a wink and nod to them than an outright asked permission to use their logo.
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

I just found these photos on-line showing one of our Rocketeer Jackets as well as several suits on display:

Kind regards,
Magnoli
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

VERY cool to see this!

;) :tup:
afterthedog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by afterthedog »

Excellent finds! Thanks for sharing. Hopefully I'll get a chance to see these in person soon.
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

Someone just posted this on our Facebook page... didn't realize that one of our tags was visible:

Yep, one of our Adventure Shirts displayed with several Magnoli Ties at Disneyland's California Adventure, Buena Vista Street.

Thanks for sharing, Nick!

Kind regards,
Indy
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Super cool for you! Let's hope people notice and you get a surge of orders.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Sharing living space with a near-sighted scrap pile

Post by Solent MKIII »

Uber cool. :D Glad to see your excellent handiwork on display, Magnoli! ( I really need to order one of those Marshall College ties... =P~ )
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

That is fantastic !! Was that just for display or do they actually sell Magnoli products as well there ?? I haven't been to Disneyland as I live on the East Coast and it's quite expensive to fly to California just for Disneyland, I have family so I'm saving for a big trip and then I'll make it over there. :TOH:
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

micsteam wrote:That is fantastic !! Was that just for display or do they actually sell Magnoli products as well there ?? I haven't been to Disneyland as I live on the East Coast and it's quite expensive to fly to California just for Disneyland, I have family so I'm saving for a big trip and then I'll make it over there. :TOH:
The cool stuff is just for display. The store sells the usual array of character t-shirts and sweatshirts, Disney junk and hats with ears on them.

Still, as long as you get lucky with the crowds, one of the "must do" things if you've never been.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Well, I was just at the park today, and I had no idea about these. I looked up in the store and saw the names of Magnoli, Delk, and Kitter, which greatly brightened up my day. Next time I go, I'll have to keep an eye out for the shoes and ties. On another note, could someone explain who Witthuhn is? The name is unfamiliar to me. Also, does anyone know if any Indy hatmakers provided hats for the displays?
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

IJJTM wrote:Well, I was just at the park today, and I had no idea about these. I looked up in the store and saw the names of Magnoli, Delk, and Kitter, which greatly brightened up my day. Next time I go, I'll have to keep an eye out for the shoes and ties. On another note, could someone explain who Witthuhn is? The name is unfamiliar to me. Also, does anyone know if any Indy hatmakers provided hats for the displays?

I'm curious about Witthuhn too :-k :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Considering this original thread is from 2013, who knows...... ;)

The only mention of that name I could even find in a search here was an administration discussion referring to 'Witthuhn' back in 2012, and we couldn't find anything about that name back THEN, so it's still a mystery. :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
tubasthebest
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by tubasthebest »

This piqued my interest so I did some searching. It looks like it is Stefan's last name, Marc’s old assistant. I found this page and was able to use my browser to translate it to English. https://www.jones-jr.com/cost_marc_kitter.html
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Well done! :clap:

We didn’t have those fancy translators back then! (I’m starting to sound like old Indy!) :shock: :[
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

IJJTM wrote:Well, I was just at the park today, and I had no idea about these. I looked up in the store and saw the names of Magnoli, Delk, and Kitter, which greatly brightened up my day.
It's cool to hear that the pieces are still there after all these years... did you get any photos? Would love to see their present state. :TOH:
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

At first I thought the names were a coincidence, but now that is super cool, I was also thinking it was Stefan’s last name, but I wasn’t sure how involved he was with Marc. Also Magnoli, I’ll get around to that when I get home, not much has changed. On top of that, is it a custom Indy shirt on display or is it something similar?
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

tubasthebest wrote:This piqued my interest so I did some searching. It looks like it is Stefan's last name, Marc’s old assistant. I found this page and was able to use my browser to translate it to English. https://www.jones-jr.com/cost_marc_kitter.html
Interesting 8-[] great research :TOH:
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

IJJTM wrote:At first I thought the names were a coincidence, but now that is super cool, I was also thinking it was Stefan’s last name, but I wasn’t sure how involved he was with Marc. Also Magnoli, I’ll get around to that when I get home, not much has changed. On top of that, is it a custom Indy shirt on display or is it something similar?
The shirt is one of our made-to-measure Adventure Shirts, yes. What do you mean by the "names" exactly? I think I missed something... :-k
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Indy Magnoli wrote:The shirt is one of our made-to-measure Adventure Shirts, yes. What do you mean by the "names" exactly? I think I missed something... :-k
By names, I was referring to the names on the hatbox, I should've separated my statement aimed at you from that.

Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Ok, finally seeing the hatbox in context, it all makes sense now as those 3 were instrumental in creating the CS fedora under the original AdventureBilt banner.

Regards! M
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

I was under the impression that Stefan joined the crew after KOTCS. :-k
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

As I recall he was still working with Marc on the side before joining officially.
Point was, those 3 names were directly connected to an Indy fedora so I think it’s interesting they’d all appear on a hatbox label outside an Indiana Jones ride, don’t you?

Regards! M
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Definitely, I’m thinking about asking Penman’s hatbox manufacturer if she did them. Next time I go, which might be a while, I’ll get plenty of pictures of the rest of the Indy-sequel gear.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:M: :tup:
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Sarah's hatboxes confirmed that they made the boxes for the park.