Indy’s shirt

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

JPdesign
Vendor

Indy’s shirt

Post by JPdesign »

I only have one shirt from one maker. I have a couple questions about some specific details of the shirt, mostly pertaining to “is this how the ones used in the film were made?” And “is this how all replicas are currently made?” I ask about these things because men’s clothing in the first half of the 20th century was build for durability. While these particular features make a shirt mor time consuming to make, they make for a shirt that is longer wearing, more durable, and keeps its shape better after repeated washings. That are common on quality clothing for this reason.

1.) the hem. The shirt I have has a served hem. Most shirts have a rolled hem, which is more durable.

2.) the seam that runs the length of the sleeve. On my shirt it is stitched and then surged. I’m most quality men’s shirts it is stitched, rolled, and the stitched or double stitched again.

3.) the cuff. There is not a true placket at the cuff opening. And I’d does not open as much as other long sleeve shirts.

4.) pockets. The pockets are only single stitched, rather than double stitched. Most dress shirts are single stitched, but work shirts are often double stitched, and Safari shirts from the early part of the century I have seen in museums were sometimes double stitched, sometimes single stitched.

So, are these things common on replicas shirts? If so, is that the way the shirts in the movies were?
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Re: Indy’s shirt

Post by Indy Magnoli »

Considering there were four films and multiple shirts for each, I'm sure this isn't completely accurate but, generally speaking:

1) Shirts had a rolled hem.
2) Sleeve seams were rolled and stitched (could have been double stitched, but not sure).
3) Cuff plackets varied a bit from one film to the next. They should be long enough to be easily rolled though.
4) Almost all seams were single stitched.

Our shirts are made properly, like the originals. Not sure what the other makers do.

Kind regards,
Magnoli
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

JPdesign wrote:......... I ask about these things because men’s clothing in the first half of the 20th century was build for durability. ........... Safari shirts from the early part of the century I have seen in museums were sometimes double stitched, sometimes single stitched.

So, are these things common on replicas shirts? If so, is that the way the shirts in the movies were?

At the end of the day you're paying for a Indiana Jones replica shirt. This shirt was designed and built for looks. Even if the shirt is 100% accurate to the movie.... I would never expect a costume shirt to have the same durability and toughness of a safari shirt made in the early 20th or today.

Case in point my Orvis safari shirt is built tough as can be and is a fairly thick shirt as well, made from cotton twill. My Indy shirts that I have are well made but out of thin cotton, built and designed for looks and just like the original costume piece, not functionality or durability. :TOH:
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

IM are your spec’s the same for your off the rack sized shirts. :-k
Speaking of……. :CR:

Croft :mrgreen:
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

Yes, pretty much the same specs... and YES, they are back in stock and ready to ship!
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Order placed, along with a pair of gloves.
\:D/

Croft :mrgreen: