The big 3; a short review of Herbert Johnson, Advintange and

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

The big 3; a short review of Herbert Johnson, Advintange and

Post by thecoolmiester »

I bought these three hats around December and finally have all of them!
Hufvud left, Advintage middle and Herbert to the right when looking at the front view.

Advintage pure beaver: $380
Herbert pure rabbit: $581
Hufvud pure beaver: ~$580

There are some angles where the slight taper of the Herbert look very true to the raiders film and some where advintage takes the cake. Thomas seems to put a slightly small ribbon which I think is what helps it mushroom so well.
The taper of the Herbert looks better on my head but the advintage certainly looks the part of some of the most action packed scenes of Cairo.

You can really see the taper and mushroom difference here.

The Hufvud seems to be very straight and stove piped on all angles which on my head looks kind of funky and almost like a top hat while the advintage has lots of curvs and swoops, nailing Cairo.
Thomas put in a bash I didn’t need to modify at all and Michelle over at Herbert I had to modify quite a bit to get the desired look.

Advintage take the win on out of the box bash for sure and Herbert wins for overall well rounded look that is not too boxy or warped.

The felt on the beaver Advintage is so fine that it makes the rabbit Herbert look like it’s not finished at all, and it’s more fine than the pure beaver on the Hufvud. Advintage takes it on felt quality especially for the price.

Advintage:

Herbert

Advintage:

Herbert Johnson:

Now I have never gotten a pinman or adventurebuilt, but from some pics of pinman that look a bit exaggerated and from a price perspective I think the best option is Advintage especially for Cairo hands down!
In fact I’ll be placing more orders from Advintage as I need me a grey and a dirty Cairo hat.

Out of the three hats I have Advintage takes the cake with Herbert at a very close 2nd.

A few more shots of the advintage hat:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Loneken
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: The big 3; a short review of Herbert Johnson, Advintange

Post by Loneken »

Very cool review thanks for taking the time. And congrats on 3 beautiful hats.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Agreed, thanks for the review. I have been thinking AdVintage is a great deal.

What colors are they, particularly the AdVintage?

Thanks again. :TOH:
thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by thecoolmiester »

IndianaJustin wrote:Agreed, thanks for the review. I have been thinking AdVintage is a great deal.

All of them are sable.
Herbert has deep Sable and Sable while Advintage has 3 different sables: raiders sable, sable and deep/True sable.
I went with the mid/ regular Sable offering on the advintage.

Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Great comparisons. Thanks for posting this. The Advintage is such an excellent hat at a really competitive price and looks good on you. The HJ looks the most natural on you, as the slight taper works in your favor. But... no comparison between beaver and rabbit fur, right? Hufvud's Indy hats always looked way too boxy or stovepipe to me.
thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by thecoolmiester »

Forrest For the Trees wrote:Great comparisons. Thanks for posting this. The Advintage is such an excellent hat at a really competitive price and looks good on you. The HJ looks the most natural on you, as the slight taper works in your favor. But... no comparison between beaver and rabbit fur, right? Hufvud's Indy hats always looked way too boxy or stovepipe to me.
Thank you thank you!
Yeah there is no comparison at all haha that beaver is so fine and amazing yet light weight it just smashes even the best rabbit especially the beaver on the Advintage. It’s so fine the hat looks like it’s made of clay haha

Yeah the Hufvud is very stovepiped so I didn’t bother posting pics of me wearing it since it looks like a tophat on me lol

Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Very nice review. I love all the comparisons.
But looking at the advintage a lot.

Can I ask for one picture. [-o<
Advintage, straight on, but pull it down more, your pictures have it further up on your brow, and most shots you see are where you just see his eye brows.

But love these, really looking at one of Thomas lids.
Was hoping HJ 40yr anniversary was going to release some pictures, but waiting till June, might not wait.
Or it’ll give me an excuse to buy another hat. :-k

Thanks for sharing your photos and review. :notworthy:

Croft :mrgreen:
thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by thecoolmiester »

Indiana Croft wrote:Very nice review. I love all the comparisons.
But looking at the advintage a lot.

Can I ask for one picture. [-o<
Advintage, straight on, but pull it down more, your pictures have it further up on your brow, and most shots you see are where you just see his eye brows.

But love these, really looking at one of Thomas lids.
Was hoping HJ 40yr anniversary was going to release some pictures, but waiting till June, might not wait.
Or it’ll give me an excuse to buy another hat. :-k

Thanks for sharing your photos and review. :notworthy:

I gotchu man! Check it:

Advintage:

Herbert:

Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

Nice, thanks.
The ribbon move down doesn’t it.
My ABL Does this too.

jgino
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by jgino »

I just ordered an Advintage myself, can't wait to get my hands on it. Thanks for sharing.
jgino
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by jgino »

Why is the Advintage so much cheaper than all the other beaver hats?
thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by thecoolmiester »

jgino wrote:Why is the Advintage so much cheaper than all the other beaver hats?
I have no idea haha I was wondering the same thing, but im buying more of his hats before he realizes how much more he should charge lol

jgino
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by jgino »

thecoolmiester wrote:
jgino wrote:Why is the Advintage so much cheaper than all the other beaver hats?
I have no idea haha I was wondering the same thing, but im buying more of his hats before he realizes how much more he should charge lol

How was shipping to the states?
thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by thecoolmiester »

jgino wrote:
thecoolmiester wrote:

Not too bad. Took almost 2 weeks.

jgino
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by jgino »

thecoolmiester wrote:
jgino wrote:
thecoolmiester wrote:

Not too bad. Took almost 2 weeks.

Great, I'm so looking forward to receiving it. I wear my fedoras for hiking and camping so I really hope it holds up. Advintage also makes masterpiece hats that are supposedly better quality.
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

thecoolmiester wrote:
IndianaJustin wrote:Agreed, thanks for the review. I have been thinking AdVintage is a great deal.

All of them are sable.
Herbert has deep Sable and Sable while Advintage has 3 different sables: raiders sable, sable and deep/True sable.
I went with the mid/ regular Sable offering on the advintage.

Thanks for the reply. I like the sable color of the AdVintage. I wasn't sure about it but with your pics I feel more confident. That's the color I ordered from Thomas 2 months ago. Glad you like your hats.
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

Love the review, thanks for posting. Hats look great, glad I placed an order for the Advintage; I have about a 100 more days left. It is weird how much cheaper their beaver felt is than the others' rabbit. Being here in FL, I'll need the beaver.
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

Great review. I'm considering a beaver Advintage myself. Did you opt for the Hero SoC or the "Decent" version?
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Pretty sure he got the decent version.
thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by thecoolmiester »

Hedji wrote:Great review. I'm considering a beaver Advintage myself. Did you opt for the Hero SoC or the "Decent" version?
Yup I did in fact go with the decent, but I am placing an order for a nice dirty Hero version.

Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

On the Advintage site, looks like you can get a clean version of the Hero... is the big difference the way the bow is sewn? Or are there other nuances with the shape that I'm missing?
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

There is some small differences. If it's not described on the web site, just ask Thomas and he'll relate the difference.
Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

Great hats and thanks for sharing! I'm always on the hunt for my next hat so it's always good to see some comparison shots.

Brian from Screencapped also does beaver felt for a good price. Very interesting how it can fluctuate like that.
mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mr_alex »

Just ordered the Advintage based on these glowing reviews! I got the Raider's SoC 'Decent Version'. Thanks for sharing!
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Just purely out of curiosity, why no consideration for Steele & Jones? We’re you specifically after beaver for the two non-HJ hats, or just not interested in their product? Very curious how S&J holds up to these three, or I guess more so these two since you didn’t like the Hufvud.
thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by thecoolmiester »

Chose Poorly wrote:Just purely out of curiosity, why no consideration for Steele & Jones? We’re you specifically after beaver for the two non-HJ hats, or just not interested in their product? Very curious how S&J holds up to these three, or I guess more so these two since you didn’t like the Hufvud.
I reached out to Steele and Jones for a hat but they never got back to me so I could only do a review on these three. I wanted one of their SoC hats for sure though.
Yeah I was not a fan of the Hufvud, and if I had a Steele and Jones instead THAT would have been a much better match up.

I have a SoC 40th anniversary HJ and SoC Advintage distressed version coming that I plan to compare here in the ne t few months once I have them both

Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

thecoolmiester wrote:
Chose Poorly wrote:Just purely out of curiosity, why no consideration for Steele & Jones? We’re you specifically after beaver for the two non-HJ hats, or just not interested in their product? Very curious how S&J holds up to these three, or I guess more so these two since you didn’t like the Hufvud.
I reached out to Steele and Jones for a hat but they never got back to me so I could only do a review on these three. I wanted one of their SoC hats for sure though.
Yeah I was not a fan of the Hufvud, and if I had a Steele and Jones instead THAT would have been a much better match up.

I have a SoC 40th anniversary HJ and SoC Advintage distressed version coming that I plan to compare here in the ne t few months once I have them both

Ah, makes sense. I have a S&J Explorador ‘36 that was originally a ‘Raven Bar’ styled hat, but I’ve worn it so much that it looks more like their ‘Hovitos Temple’ hat now. It’s held up well, but I’ve always wanted a HJ beaver, maybe even a grey one. Although after your review, maybe I want an AdVintage beaver instead…

Quite the collection you have going. Not sure of your head size, but I’m a 58cm if you’re ever downsizing and have hats to get rid of, haha.
thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by thecoolmiester »

Chose Poorly wrote:
thecoolmiester wrote:

Ah, makes sense. I have a S&J Explorador ‘36 that was originally a ‘Raven Bar’ styled hat, but I’ve worn it so much that it looks more like their ‘Hovitos Temple’ hat now. It’s held up well, but I’ve always wanted a HJ beaver, maybe even a grey one. Although after your review, maybe I want an AdVintage beaver instead…

Quite the collection you have going. Not sure of your head size, but I’m a 58cm if you’re ever downsizing and have hats to get rid of, haha.
Honestly my Advintage is by far my nicest, highest quality and favorite Indy hat and maybe favorite hat in general since I have quite a bit of fedora style hats. If you go Advintage you will not regret it. The felt is so fine pictures can’t do it justice. Pounced to perfection.
Hahaha I wear 57 but buy 58 a lot since it has a bit more room which I especially like when I have longer hair. If there ever comes a time where I sell a few you’re the first guy whose gunna know.

Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

Have you considered the Advintage MasterPiece Fedora? That's quite a price difference, and I wonder if it's worth it.

Oh, and I'm a 58 cm too, so can I be the :lol: second guy who gets dibs?
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

Good review thanks! :TOH:
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

thecoolmiester wrote:
Chose Poorly wrote:
thecoolmiester wrote:

Honestly my Advintage is by far my nicest, highest quality and favorite Indy hat and maybe favorite hat in general since I have quite a bit of fedora style hats. If you go Advintage you will not regret it. The felt is so fine pictures can’t do it justice. Pounced to perfection.
Hahaha I wear 57 but buy 58 a lot since it has a bit more room which I especially like when I have longer hair. If there ever comes a time where I sell a few you’re the first guy whose gunna know.

Thanks for the info and the consideration!
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

What can one expect for typical wait time on the AdVintage?
thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by thecoolmiester »

Hedji wrote:What can one expect for typical wait time on the AdVintage?
3 months about

Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Any plans on picking up a HJ Streets of Cairo? Would be very curious to see how that one stacks up in comparison!
thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by thecoolmiester »

Castor Dioscuri wrote:Any plans on picking up a HJ Streets of Cairo? Would be very curious to see how that one stacks up in comparison!
Yes sir! Already put my order in haha

IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

It will be interesting to see your thoughts then.
I'm sure the special HJ fedora will be nice, but I just can't wrap my head around the price...for rabbit. I've recently bought 2 new Portuguese beaver fedoras from 2 different makers for around the total cost of the one HJ. Again, I'm not knocking it, it just seems spendy. :-k
thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by thecoolmiester »

IndianaJustin wrote:It will be interesting to see your thoughts then.
I'm sure the special HJ fedora will be nice, but I just can't wrap my head around the price...for rabbit. I've recently bought 2 new Portuguese beaver fedoras from 2 different makers for around the total cost of the one HJ. Again, I'm not knocking it, it just seems spendy. :-k
I agree. I was a bit underwhelmed at what you get for the extra money, but since I had been considering another HJ in a bigger size I said yolo and went for it. Will be a cool collectors piece for sure and will be cool to do a continuation of reviews of HJ versus Advintage as I also have a distressed hero SoC coming to compare it to

IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Well, thanks in advance for your forthcoming review!
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Someone had asked about the cheaper price point for the AdVintage hats. Correct me if I am wrong but aren't they basically a factory hat out of Spain? That's what mine says on the sweatband. I love my beaver AdVintage!
Bo Invader
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Bo Invader »

Hedji wrote:What can one expect for typical wait time on the AdVintage?
My AdVintage took about 4 months, but the wait is totally worth it.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Advintage hats are handmade, but the Advintage Harrison's are factory-made.
thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by thecoolmiester »

Just got the SoC de stressed from Advintage. And WOW. It’s like it was plucked right off Harrison ford’s head..

thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by thecoolmiester »

thecoolmiester wrote:Image

Just got the SoC de stressed from Advintage. And WOW. It’s like it was plucked right off Harrison ford’s head..

Distressed*

IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Ooo, looks great.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

That does look awesome. I always look at Thomas SoC distressed but my concern is when it gets wet.
I like wearing my hats in all weather. My rabbit is worn judiciously.

But I’m saving for a Advintage SoC Masterpiece.

But that is one beautiful lid.

Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

That looks fantastic! Really looking forward to receiving mine. I ordered the SOC “decent” version.
thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by thecoolmiester »

Indiana Croft wrote:That does look awesome. I always look at Thomas SoC distressed but my concern is when it gets wet.

Yeah I’ve been wanting to ask him how the fullers earth is treated so I can get a feel how weather resistant it is, but I still wouldn’t chance it haha

thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by thecoolmiester »

Bdgsi11 wrote:That looks fantastic! Really looking forward to receiving mine. I ordered the SOC “decent” version.
Thanks man!
Thomas’s decent version is very nice! I have one from him and it is the perfect balance of adventure but looks great with a navy suit dressed up a bit

mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mr_alex »

Indiana Croft wrote:That does look awesome. I always look at Thomas SoC distressed but my concern is when it gets wet.

Heads up, that the SoC lid isn't available as a Masterpiece fedora. I'm not sure why, but that's what it says on Thomas' website https://www.advintage.de/index.php/2019 ... y/?lang=en
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

thecoolmiester wrote:I reached out to Steele and Jones for a hat but they never got back to me so I could only do a review on these three. I wanted one of their SoC hats for sure though.
Hi,
I've just read this.

You got no reply from us?
Very strange.

First, we apologize for this inconvenience.
We don't know what happened.

How did you try to reach us?
email, messenger??

Please, let us know.
Thanks.-