Idol Grab VS Peru Jungle Fedora: Differences?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Idol Grab VS Peru Jungle Fedora: Differences?

Post by Hedji »

I've been pouring over reference material to try to determine whether I would like the Idol Grab look or the Peru Jungle reveal look for my next fedora.

I know that the scenes were shot quite a bit apart from each other, with the Jungle Reveal being one of the very last shots filmed, and the Idol Grab very early in the production.

Still, they look quite similar to me. I guess I would say the Peru hat looks a bit more conservative in the effects of the turn with less swoop on the wearer's right hand side (viewer's left). It could just be the angles of the reference photos though.

I am trying to pick my "everyday" fedora, and I am leaning towards the more modest look of the Jungle Reveal hat. It still has the turn, but perhaps a bit less curl on the sides of the brim?

Any other major differences that I should be noticing or that you notice? Anyone else care to weigh in on their preference?

IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Idol Grab VS Peru Jungle Fedora: Differences?

Post by IJJTM »

I was literally just now looking for pictures of the jungle hat as I'm deciding between that and a less dusty Cairo. All I can really tell as a difference between Idol and Jungle is that Idol has more of a turn and a more defined crease, while the Jungle has a very slight crease and a bit of a looser pinch.
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

When you say crease, are you referring to the pinch, or something else?
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Crease and pinch are interchangeable to me.
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

I tend to think of the 'pinch' specifically as the front part of the crown having been pinched, whereas the 'crease' refers to the overall changes made to an open crown hat.

JMHO turned hats don't make good "everyday" hats. Most folks won't perceive it as a "screen accurate" reproduction of the Indy hat, they'll just see a hat that looks a bit off.
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

I'm leaning toward the Peru Jungle hat as my choice for everyday. It still has the turn and the crease. Still Raiders. I feel like I need some turn so that the brim lowers more in the front. But (I think) the features of the Peru hat aren't as exaggerated that it would look wrong on my head. Again, this would be my daily hat. (I could do ToD or LC for no turn, but I can't seem to bring myself to not go with Raiders style)
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

jlee562 wrote:JMHO turned hats don't make good "everyday" hats. Most folks won't perceive it as a "screen accurate" reproduction of the Indy hat, they'll just see a hat that looks a bit off.
Who cares what most folks perceive. If anything, we should be judging them for not knowing what makes the Raiders hat unique. Image

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

indy89 wrote:
jlee562 wrote:JMHO turned hats don't make good "everyday" hats. Most folks won't perceive it as a "screen accurate" reproduction of the Indy hat, they'll just see a hat that looks a bit off.
Who cares what most folks perceive. If anything, we should be judging them for not knowing what makes the Raiders hat unique. Image

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Look, you do you. Opinions were solicited and I offered one. A turned hat is not a hat I would personally wear as an everyday hat because, among other reasons, the ribbon placement in particular just makes it look like a poorly made hat. That's not a look I want to convey, even though I enjoy the look of a slightly distressed hat.
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

My own opinion is that I wouldn't be wearing a Fedora if not for Indiana Jones. I wouldn't know about the Turn if not for IndyGear and COW. So I need to have the turn to make it a Raiders hat, but I need to find a bash that I don't feel awkward wearing. I think there's a spectrum of Raiders fedora nuances for different scenes in the movie. For me, it makes sense to go conservative.

I do plan on picking up a ToD with no turn at another time, but that's another topic.

But yeah, I never realized just how close the Jungle hat and the Idol hat are. It's also interesting that the last hat filmed is the first seen on screen, and the most "conservative" of bashes.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Yeah, the jungle hat does not have the turn, as I see it, and the idol grab hat does. Honestly, I think any hat needs to be customized for the wearer. I prefer open crown, turn and crease it myself. As to the turn itself, I don't like the way the full turn looks on me, but turned about half way, it gives the brim some character and flair, but not enough to look obvious. That's just me, though.
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

To me, the jungle hat looks the best. I have never liked the turn.
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

Idol grab just edges it for me, as it looks more at home on his head, an extension of his character - a trusty old friend he's more likely going to risk his arm for trying to retrieve (I know, wrong movie). While the Jungle one looks good too, it looks more new out of the box to me with a more independent character - their bond is yet to be formed.
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

Hedji wrote:
This collection of images is a great illustration of how the hat color looks so different from one scene to another.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Yeah, that top idol great really looks like dark sable.
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

IJJTM wrote:Yeah, that top idol great really looks like dark sable.
There's another photo montage with a lot more pictures of the RAIDERS hat at different angles. I think someone put it together to help people shape their hats. I'd post it, but unfortunately I've forgotten how to post pictures on this site, so maybe someone else can do it. In most photos, the color looks regular sable to me. But depending on lighting conditions, even regular sable often can look very dark. I posted a photo of my HJ reboot (regular sable) a few years back that looks just like that "top idol" photo.

Jack
craigjohn
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by craigjohn »

Hedji wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:23 am I've been pouring over reference material to try to determine whether I would like the Idol Grab look or the Peru Jungle reveal look for my next fedora.

I know that the scenes were shot quite a bit apart from each other, with the Jungle Reveal being one of the very last shots filmed, and the Idol Grab very early in the production.

Still, they look quite similar to me. I guess I would say the Peru hat looks a bit more conservative in the effects of the turn with less swoop on the wearer's right hand side (viewer's left). It could just be the angles of the reference photos though.

I am trying to pick my "everyday" fedora, and I am leaning towards the more modest look of the Jungle Reveal hat. It still has the turn, but perhaps a bit less curl on the sides of the brim?

Any other major differences that I should be noticing or that you notice? Anyone else care to weigh in on their preference?

Bumping this, as my HJ order falls right in line with this discussion.

The two right (stacked) jungle set photos are promo pics. The top I believe was used as reference for the poster illustration. The left photo of the jungle set might as well have been a promo pic, as it’s Indy’s face reveal to open the movie. The hats were barely, if at all, weathered.

By the time Indy made it to cave entrance, the weathering had begun — but his hat looked more dusty than anything - not so much sweat stain at this point.

The turn hadn’t started at the cave entrance either. It wasn’t evident after Indy swung across the pit with his whip. The turn is very clear at the Idol.

The crown wasn’t mushroomed. Stood tall, and very stove pipe straight, from Jungle to idol to escape.

The front pinch was really loose and soft here. I tightened up a lot by the time he reached the idol. …it loosened once again, before he jumped the pit during his escape. …the order of the shoot sequence was definitely at play here.

The front bash was tall and deep (Raiders look). A bit of a pucker in the right bash at times. The bash seemed to differ throughout every scene, as Ford was always futzing with his hat between takes.

There was little to no cowboy effect on the brim. The front brim had a gentle s-curve.