Magnoli White Label Wait Times vs Wested jacket

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Pyramid Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Magnoli White Label Wait Times vs Wested jacket

Post by Pyramid Jones »

Hey everyone I am strongly considering one of the LC white label jackets that Magnoli is making now. I was going to go with the wested LC but I want cowhide and a better fit than what most describe. So I'm curious for those of you that have this jacket, how long were the wait times? and how do you overall like the jacket?

For me this wouldn't be a costume piece or anything like that, it'd be my everyday jacket and needs to take the abuse I throw at it plus last for years that's more or less why I want cowhide. Not to say lamb and the various other options out there won't hold up I just know at least for me cowhide holds up whereas the one raider's lambskin jacket I had was destroyed in under a year.
tubasthebest
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Magnoli White Label Wait Times

Post by tubasthebest »

I have the Magnoli White Label Raiders ( I'm sure the experience with the LC is similar). I was shocked at how fast my jacket was made, it was shipped 15 days after I placed the order. I'm not sure if you could expect the same timeframe, just letting you know my experience. The jacket is incredibly well made. The cowhide is substantial and smells incredible. The distressing is not overdone and really adds character. It is quite a bit thicker than my lambskin and horsehide jackets, so if you want a thick indestructible jacket, this is the one. One detail that is different than most Indy jackets is the side pockets don't cut into the front leather and go into the liner, they stay on the outside, and I much prefer this pocket construction over the screen accurate versions. All in all, I would highly recommend this.

My full review and some of my photos can be found on this thread Link
Dr. Nebraska S.

Magnoli White Label Wait Times

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

Hi! I have ordered 2 WL LC from Magnoli, and love them. Be sure to check out my thread in Jackets (I’m uncertain how to link from this app).

As for wait time, I ordered in late September and received Christmas Eve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mr_alex »

I ordered 2 White Label jackets from Magnoli that both shipped 1 month after ordering. However, both arrived with serious production defects and had to be remade (Magnoli Clothiers does not accept returns, even for production issues). The remakes took another three months, and then the jackets arrived with incorrect measurements. From my initial order to receiving the jackets, to returning the jackets, to receiving the remakes, to returning those, and finally receiving a refund, the ordeal took five months and over 50 emails (that's not a joke, I'm looking at my inbox now). And afterwards I still needed to find someplace else to order from.

This is all to say that while Magnoli production and shipping can be very fast, it can also be veeeeery slow and require a lot of follow up.

As for fit, the WL jackets are so customizable they really are what you make of them. That said, they are SO customizable there is a lot of rope to hang yourself with. In that regard, I would only recommend a WL jacket if you already have a jacket with the EXACT fit that you are looking for so you can pull the measurements you need directly off of that. Because of nuances in the way that different jackets fit, if you try to mix and match measurements (even pulling measurements from other Indy jackets) things can go very wrong very quickly. And, if you order with the wrong measurements, there's nothing to do but to try again and order another jacket, so it can feel like kind of a high stakes (expensive) game to play.

The cowhide for these jackets is pretty substantial, and probably closest to a CS look. It's good for a motorcycle jacket. Just know that it has a different drape than what you would often be looking for in an Indy jacket. Some of the measurements for this jacket are also not SA and can't be customized (the difference between the front and back length of the jacket, for example) which is just worth noting. If you aren't super concerned with accuracy it isn't a huge deal, but since some folks here are I think it deserves to be said.

Finally, I wouldn't recommend the construction on the WL jackets as being able to take a beating. When my first jacket arrived, it was glued together more than it was stitched and the glue was coming apart at the seams (literally, it was coming apart at the seams). The remake did not have this problem, but I have no way of knowing whether these issues would have cropped up again over time. I haven't owned a WL jacket for more than a couple weeks, but what I've seen doesn't give me a lot of confidence in their longevity.

Honestly, for what you're looking for, I'd recommend ordering a Steele & Jones Cazadora '38 in "Chocolate Premium Thin Horsehide". First off, Diego is an absolute gem and will work with you to get the exact fit you're looking for. No guesswork on your part, Diego is in communication with you every step of the way. Secondly the Premium Thin Horsehide gives you the drape and appearance you'd expect from an Indy jacket, but is tough enough to be an everyday jacket and withstand whatever abuse you want to throw at it. The distressing is beautiful, they're accurate down to the last detail, and the stitching is solid enough to survive being dragged behind a truck (if you check out their Instagram, you can see they've actually tested this).

S&J is more expensive than a Magnoli WL, but I think the incredible service and care they give to each customer and every piece counts for a lot. Also, if you mess up your measurements on the WL the first time and have to buy another one to try again - you would have saved both time and money by working with a more hands-on seller right from the start. My S&J jacket took about two months from initial order to it arriving at my doorstep.

In case it's helpful, here are photos of the two WL jackets I received. The gluing/stitching of the exterior pockets of the Indy jacket tore upon the first wearing. The interior pocket liners were poorly glued and started peeling off immediately as well. I included another photo so you could see the overall color, distressing, and weight of the leather (this is style A). The other photos here are of the second WL I ordered which came with a liner too long for the jacket, and adventure boots that arrived missing an eyelet. If there's anything else I can share, let me know! https://photos.app.goo.gl/XNN1zQca3fP5gRhVA
Last edited by mr_alex on Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pyramid Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Pyramid Jones »

mr_alex wrote:I ordered 2 White Label jackets from Magnoli that both shipped 1 month after ordering. However, both arrived with serious production defects and had to be remade (Magnoli Clothiers does not accept returns, even for production issues). The remakes took another three months, and then the jackets arrived with incorrect measurements. From my initial order to receiving the jackets, to returning the jackets, to receiving the remakes, to returning those, and finally receiving a refund, the ordeal took five months and over 50 emails (that's not a joke, I'm looking at my inbox now). And afterwards I still needed to find someplace else to order from.

This is all to say that while Magnoli production and shipping can be very fast, it can also be veeeeery slow and require a lot of follow up.

As for fit, the WL jackets are so customizable they really are what you make of them. That said, they are SO customizable there is a lot of rope to hang yourself with. In that regard, I would only recommend a WL jacket if you already have a jacket with the EXACT fit that you are looking for so you can pull the measurements you need directly off of that. Because of nuances in the way that different jackets fit, if you try to mix and match measurements (even pulling measurements from other Indy jackets) things can go very wrong very quickly. And, if you order with the wrong measurements, there's nothing to do but to try again and order another jacket, so it can feel like kind of a high stakes (expensive) game to play.

The cowhide for these jackets is pretty substantial, and probably closest to a CS look. It's good for a motorcycle jacket. Just know that it has a different drape than what you would often be looking for in an Indy jacket. Some of the measurements for this jacket are also not SA and can't be customized (the difference between the front and back length of the jacket, for example) which is just worth noting. If you aren't super concerned with accuracy it isn't a huge deal, but since some folks here are I think it deserves to be said.

Finally, I wouldn't recommend the construction on the WL jackets as being able to take a beating. When my first jacket arrived, it was glued together more than it was stitched and the glue was coming apart at the seams (literally, it was coming apart at the seams). The remake did not have this problem, but I have no way of knowing whether these issues would have cropped up again over time. I haven't owned a WL jacket for more than a couple weeks, but what I've seen doesn't give me a lot of confidence in their longevity.

Honestly, for what you're looking for, I'd recommend ordering a Steele & Jones Cazadora '38 in "Chocolate Premium Thin Horsehide". First off, Diego is an absolute gem and will work with you to get the exact fit you're looking for. No guesswork on your part, Diego is in communication with you every step of the way. Secondly the Premium Thin Horsehide gives you the drape and appearance you'd expect from an Indy jacket, but is tough enough to be an everyday jacket and withstand whatever abuse you want to throw at it. The distressing is beautiful, they're accurate down to the last detail, and the stitching is solid enough to survive being dragged behind a truck (if you check out their Instagram, you can see they've actually tested this).

S&J is more expensive than a Magnoli WL, but I think the incredible service and care they give to each customer and every piece counts for a lot. Also, if you mess up your measurements on the WL the first time and have to buy another one to try again - you would have saved both time and money by working with a more hands-on seller right from the start. My S&J jacket took about two months from initial order to it arriving at my doorstep.

I'm happy to share photos from any of the WL jackets I received (I kept extensive documentation) or the S&J jacket I have now. Hope this is helpful!
This is the kind of dialogue I was looking for when I started this thread. I was hoping to hear from both good and bad experiences and it seems I got what I wanted. I do like the look of the Magnoli jacket but if it's taking that kind of gamble when ordering then as you say it might be better to spend a few more bucks and get something that I know will be right.

As for screen accuracy and all of that, I don't particularly care. I like the look of the jackets from the films but I've come to accept that SA and useable are two different things when it comes to certain pieces of gear. I don't do cosplay or any of that stuff I just buy gear that I can actually wear in the field and everyday life, hence why I don't own a fedora anymore.

I was interested in the westeds but I've read so many bad things about them since the owner passed away that it's another one of those scenarios that I don't want to take the gamble on. I do have a fairly tight budget since I just bought myself a pair of Alden 403's as my everyday boot, that's why I was considering the wested because at a price stand point it's one of the cheaper jackets.
mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mr_alex »

If that's the case, maybe it'd be good to search for a second hand Wested here or on eBay? That might let you buy something that has proved its worth by standing the test of time, and also would be at a discount by coming second hand?

Also, goat and horse hides are pretty indestructible if you're looking for something hearty. I hope having more leathers in the mix makes it easier for you to find something that meets your needs!
Pyramid Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Pyramid Jones »

Okay, everyone, I sent an email to magnoliclothiers to address some of the concerns I had. The fellow I talked to was super helpful and even offered to send me photos after the order is completed if I do indeed order. I think I am going to give them a shot, if I get a bad jacket I can't return then oh well I suppose.
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

Good luck! I hope you end up with a fantastic jacket that you love.
Pyramid Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Pyramid Jones »

marker2037 wrote:Good luck! I hope you end up with a fantastic jacket that you love.
I really hope so. I think by getting photos when the jacket is finished I will be able to catch any of the possible issues that other people have had before it gets to me here in the states.
Arch Stanton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Arch Stanton »

I ordered one on May 10th, I think? It's not really jacket weather, so I am not really in a bind or anything. What I can say is that I traded emails with someone at Magnoli where I was pretty much having an existential crisis trying to find my correct measurements. I'm in a position now where even 305 bucks is a big deal, but I took the leap of faith anyway. The person was VERY accommodating to my indecisiveness. We worked it out through our back-and-forth. And if perchance it does not fit the way I thought then it can be a cool present for somebody else. What I'm saying is that the customer service at Magnoli Clothiers is top-notch. Just take into account they are getting back to you in New Zealand time, which for me is 16 hours in the future.
Pyramid Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Pyramid Jones »

Arch Stanton wrote:I ordered one on May 10th, I think? It's not really jacket weather, so I am not really in a bind or anything. What I can say is that I traded emails with someone at Magnoli where I was pretty much having an existential crisis trying to find my correct measurements. I'm in a position now where even 305 bucks is a big deal, but I took the leap of faith anyway. The person was VERY accommodating to my indecisiveness. We worked it out through our back-and-forth. And if perchance it does not fit the way I thought then it can be a cool present for somebody else. What I'm saying is that the customer service at Magnoli Clothiers is top-notch. Just take into account they are getting back to you in New Zealand time, which for me is 16 hours in the future.
Yeah I filled out the measurement forms as well on their site and requested someone get in touch with me about the fit and all that to confirm that jacket comes out right based off my measurements. My only hang up is that I am going to be gone all of July so I wanted to make sure with them that it wont mail out until at least after July.
Dr. Nebraska S.

Pyramid Jones wrote:
marker2037 wrote:Good luck! I hope you end up with a fantastic jacket that you love.
I really hope so. I think by getting photos when the jacket is finished I will be able to catch any of the possible issues that other people have had before it gets to me here in the states.
I think you will be pleased with the results!

Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

My first Magnoli WL jacket (LC version) was absolutely superb (color, weight, distressing, etc.). However, it was just too snug around the armpit & upper arms while driving or essentially anytime I raised my arms. It truly pained me to sell it as it was 'everything' I was looking for in an Indy jacket

My second Magnoli WL (Raiders') that I had made was exactly with the same measurements - only more slack in the upper arm & armpit areas. I realize two different film versions, but the 2nd jacket was a lighter color brown & the waist not as tailored / narrowed. I took a picture of my Magnoli LC before I sold it and the back panel narrows whereas my Raiders' is more 'boxy' in the back panel design - therefore, making it feel bigger. Maybe I should just re-order a LC jacket (vs the Raiders') since I just, personally, like the overall design better...
Pyramid Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Pyramid Jones »

Captain D I have always prefered the LC jacket over the raiders jacket. Its got to have something to do with the distressing or something I'm not sure. Just an fyi when I ordered mine the other day, after discussing measurements with a manager at Magnoli and the order was processed, it stated there is a 4 month queue at the moment.

So with a 4 month wait and some money to play with since my car got totaled from hail I decided to go ahead and order an LC from Wested as well in the predistressed cowhide. I figure if one doesn't fit right I can just sell it on here. I plan to post pics of both once I get them.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

I've been tempted to try a WL Raiders jacket, but not if it comes more glued that stitched.

I suppose if I do try a magnoli one it will have to be the deluxe priced one.
Pyramid Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Pyramid Jones »

xmasters wrote:I've been tempted to try a WL Raiders jacket, but not if it comes more glued that stitched.

I'll let you know if it's glued or not, from the sounds of it that were a hiccup that only happened a few times :-k . With a $300 price difference between the white label and the adventurer I'd much rather try the white label myself seeing as I have no experience with Magnoli, but to each his own.
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Hmmm, can't say that anything was glued on mine (as far as I can tell) as all of the stitching looks nice & tight.

Although my Raider's WL jacket is a touch lighter brown in color than my former WL LC: 1.) Maybe it's supposed to be that way since a darker leather is intended for the LC to contrast the distressing better, 2.) I'm (surprisingly) okay with it because there are a lot of scenes in both Raiders' & ToD where it certainly matches my Raiders' WL jacket perfectly, 3.) Plus, seeing the recent pictures of Indy 5 with a lighter jacket, it's totally cool, 4.) All leather skins vary anyway.

I'll see if I can post pics of my 2nd Magnoli WL as I'm very pleased with it. Stay tuned, ;) If Magnoli is reading this - thank you for making these available!
mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mr_alex »

xmasters wrote:I've been tempted to try a WL Raiders jacket, but not if it comes more glued that stitched.

I added a link to a photo album to my post so you can see the gluing/stitching issues for yourself, along with the other production issues in my order. Hope this is helpful!
Pyramid Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Pyramid Jones »

Update for you folks. I received the Wested predistressed lc jacket yesterday and it’s a great fit. Sizing is spot on for me and the look of the jacket is not Overbearing with the predistressed hide. Here are some pics
https://imgur.com/gallery/PBrBVNJ
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

Wow, that jacket fits you perfectly, congrats! :TOH: would be interested to see how the leather looks under sunlight as well
Pyramid Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Pyramid Jones »

LostRaider25 wrote:Wow, that jacket fits you perfectly, congrats! :TOH: would be interested to see how the leather looks under sunlight as well
I was pleasantly surprised after reading so many bad things about Wested sizing for off the rack jackets. For reference I’m 6 foot and about 190-200 pounds. On their size guide I measured between a 42 and a 44 so I ordered the 44. Once it’s not raining here and we have some sunshine I’ll take a pic of it in natural lighting outside.
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

Pyramid Jones wrote:Update for you folks. I received the Wested predistressed lc jacket yesterday and it’s a great fit. Sizing is spot on for me and the look of the jacket is not Overbearing with the predistressed hide. Here are some pics
Looks great, I love the new pre distressed leather, is that a stock jacket?
What's the back length of the jacket?
Thanks
Pyramid Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Pyramid Jones »

Hammerklavier wrote:
Pyramid Jones wrote:Update for you folks. I received the Wested predistressed lc jacket yesterday and it’s a great fit. Sizing is spot on for me and the look of the jacket is not Overbearing with the predistressed hide. Here are some pics
Looks great, I love the new pre distressed leather, is that a stock jacket?
What's the back length of the jacket?
Thanks
Yea it’s a stock off the rack jacket. The back measures 27 inches from the base of the collar.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Looking good! When you get the sizing right those OTR Predistressed wested jackets really hit the spot don't they.
Pyramid Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Pyramid Jones »

xmasters wrote:
Looking good! When you get the sizing right those OTR Predistressed wested jackets really hit the spot don't they.
Yeah they do. This is the second Wested I’ve had, the first was the uboat jacket they made. Both fit excellent. I was worried after reading on here and also being in the states but I was pleasantly surprised. I don’t think I’d ever do a custom one from them but I definitely want a goatskin raiders jacket now.
Pyramid Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Pyramid Jones »

Here’s a pic I just took of it outside for some better lighting. https://i.imgur.com/BxxcHz7.jpg

MOD EDIT: I added the 'VS Wested....' as when one comes into the thread, they're expecting a discussion regarding wait times for the Magnoli White Label, but instead find a discussion that's Wested jacket heavy, so may as well add it to the subject title for clarity.

Carry on....
:TOH:
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Magnoli White Label Wait Times vs Wested jacket

Post by Captain D »

Hello all, here is jacket #2 from Magnoli (sunlight angle is making it look lighter than it actually is). Just applying some minor Fuller's Earth:
Attachments
jacket2(1).jpg
Last edited by Captain D on Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Back side shot. Although I'm tall / thin, I did give myself extra room in the upper arm sleeve sections because, maybe it's just due to the Indy jacket design, I always found that I needed extra room in those areas to take into account the sleeve ride-up while driving, etc. Thanks for looking!
Attachments
jacket1(1).jpg
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Very nice. Wear it in good health.

Croft :mrgreen:
Arch Stanton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Arch Stanton »

I would go with Magnoli. They ask for a ridiculous amount of measurements(in a good way). The other places ask for chest, arm and back. Ill-fitting, if you ask me.

Dr. Nebraska S.

An excellent looking jacket—what a great leather!

Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Very nice, indeed!
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

Whoa!! That is fantastic!! That looks a lot more ‘browner’ than the last WL jackets I saw posted here- they looked closer to black in color than brown…I’d this a recent purchase?
nitzsche
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by nitzsche »

Gorgeous leather. I am curious about the pattern. Why is the bottom edge both hemmed and topstitched?
Arch Stanton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Arch Stanton »

Kokopelli wrote:Whoa!! That is fantastic!! That looks a lot more ‘browner’ than the last WL jackets I saw posted here- they looked closer to black in color than brown…I’d this a recent purchase?
Yes. It is about 2 months old. I wear it a lot, though. Even wear it to bed per some people's advice. I was told that they are using a new leather. My only complaint is actually screen accurate. It had the buckles with the spikes on them. I cut them off and sanded them down. I really could not bring myself to pierce the straps.
Arch Stanton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Arch Stanton »

nitzsche wrote:Gorgeous leather. I am curious about the pattern. Why is the bottom edge both hemmed and topstitched?
I actually don't know what that means. I looked it up, but am more confused. But whatever it is I did not notice. It is a very substantial jacket. Not a costume thing. Something I could wear anywhere, and I appreciate that.

I read many of Magnoli's posts, and he seems to be of the same opinion as myself, whereas style and functionality supersedes screen accuracy. It's clearly an Indiana Jones jacket, and it fits me spankingly.
Arch Stanton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Arch Stanton »

The pattern is the Version A. I believe this is what you were asking, nitzche.