Wested Legacy series announced

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Wested Legacy series announced

Post by xmasters »

Well My Kelso Grail has a 25" back, so maybe I know what I'm talking about?

It's known to everybody that the raiders jacket is the shortest length of the jackets.
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

xmasters wrote:Well My Kelso Grail has a 25" back, so maybe I know what I'm talking about?

It's known to everybody that the raiders jacket is the shortest length of the jackets.
Ok, that's helpful. What size are you? I'm a 42 in both the Wested Hero and BK Relic Hunter.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

As has been stated here a million times, the LC collar is cut and positioned much more like a regular jacket. The Raiders collar is cut further back, which affects the back length measurement. If you think of the jacket profile like a parabola, a normal jacket collar will sit at the top and sort of straddle the apex of the curve (the vertex) with the back of the collar sitting high but the Raiders collar is longer and cut further back so the back of the collar is on the other side of the hill, so to speak. The Raiders collar sort of drapes the shoulders.

My general rule is, if you want the bottom of the jackets to hit at roughly the same spot, the Raiders Hero needs to be *at least* 1 inch shorter. Personally I go 1.5. Some people may need to go more.

I know Diego has seen and measured the actual jackets. Ford's LC jacket had a back length of 25.5 and the Raiders, IIRC, was around 24. The Raiders jacket wasn't necessarily shorter, and in fact in some scenes in LC the jacket looks like it's the shortest of all of them. I know Wested even says the LC was shorter than many would expect, it's just that it was boxier.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Agreed. My standard fit Indy jackets have a 25" back, my Kelso Relic Hunter has a 24" back. Both come to the same place, just to the tops of my pants' back pockets. I'm 5'10", size 38.
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

Forrest For the Trees wrote:Agreed. My standard fit Indy jackets have a 25" back, my Kelso Relic Hunter has a 24" back. Both come to the same place, just to the tops of my pants' back pockets. I'm 5'10", size 38.
Ok, we are the same height at 5'10", but I'm a 42.

So is adding approximately 1" to the back of the Raiders Hero the correct move for a LC Hero/Legacy from Wested?
Sakis
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Sakis »

Wested just released their Last Crusade Legacy distress jacket and it's amazing.
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

They said in the comments that you can’t buy it distressed though, didn’t they? It does look really good though.
Sakis
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Sakis »

This is what their fb page says:

Wested Update
After many months of hard work and great imput from our family of Indy,s this is the result.
The new Legacy Last Crusade once it’s been distressed.
This jacket,s skin is identical to the original film jacket and has all the correct hardware and labels.
You would not want to miss out on this one.
Let us know your thoughts.
Shop now.
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

It’d be good if they offered that distressing; maybe it’s not economical. Looks very nicely done though.
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

A question: should I consider the possible shrinkage of lambskin when I spec the sleeve length? Thanks
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

marker2037 wrote:
Forrest For the Trees wrote:Agreed. My standard fit Indy jackets have a 25" back, my Kelso Relic Hunter has a 24" back. Both come to the same place, just to the tops of my pants' back pockets. I'm 5'10", size 38.
Ok, we are the same height at 5'10", but I'm a 42.

So is adding approximately 1" to the back of the Raiders Hero the correct move for a LC Hero/Legacy from Wested?
Wested did a phenomenal job distressing that jacket. I have to order.

So, I'm here so far in my measurements:

Current Raiders Hero

Size 42
23.25-23.5" back
24.5" sleeve

LC Legacy

Size 42
24.5" or 25" back
24.5" or 25" sleeves

I'm 5'10" 190lbs 42"chest 36" waist

Does the LC pattern still hang off the shoulders as much as the Raiders Hero or do I need to add sleeve length?
andrea1984
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by andrea1984 »

Wrested does not offer the jacket distressed: pics are of a guy that distressed his jacket. Shown by wested itself to show us how the jacket appears once distressed
Sakis
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Sakis »

andrea1984 wrote:Wrested does not offer the jacket distressed: pics are of a guy that distressed his jacket. Shown by wested itself to show us how the jacket appears once distressed
What a disappointment.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

It honestly might be the best looking Wested I've ever seen.
Sakis
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Sakis »

Yes it is, personally, this would be the only reason to buy another Wested. I already have one from 1999 and I love it.

Although, it is very interesting that they have added pictures of this destressed look at their ordering web page which someone might think of it as kind of misleading. Because, I don't think that everyone will understand the notion that this is the accurate jacket we offer and if you know how to distress it, it would look like that.
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

Sakis wrote:Yes it is, personally, this would be the only reason to buy another Wested. I already have one from 1999 and I love it.

Although, it is very interesting that they have added pictures of this destressed look at their ordering web page which someone might think of it as kind of misleading.
Yes I tend to agree that they maybe shouldn't have put those images on their site where you order it- I know they've put a note up saying it doesn't come like that but a lot of people don't read to the bottom of the page! :)
Maybe they should add a little tutorial about how to achieve that effect as it does look great.
IndianaSmitty
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by IndianaSmitty »

I had delayed my Wested order for my costume jacket when the Wested told me that the release of the Legacy LC was "imminent." I just placed that order. With my newly arrived US Wings/Cooper Indy jacket, it's a jacket-o-riffic summer!
Sempre Avanti
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Sempre Avanti »

IndianaSmitty wrote:I had delayed my Wested order for my costume jacket when the Wested told me that the release of the Legacy LC was "imminent." I just placed that order. With my newly arrived US Wings/Cooper Indy jacket, it's a jacket-o-riffic summer!
That's the best kind of summer! Do you have any pics to share of your new US Wings/Cooper?
Are you happy with it? Anything you can share will be greatly appreciated!
Ark101
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Ark101 »

I’ve never had a Wested yet and this really has me tempted! Just drives me crazy that the shortest sleeve is 23” when I likely will need a 22 or 22.5” sleeve custom.
IndianaSmitty
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by IndianaSmitty »

Sempre Avanti wrote:
IndianaSmitty wrote:I had delayed my Wested order for my costume jacket when the Wested told me that the release of the Legacy LC was "imminent." I just placed that order. With my newly arrived US Wings/Cooper Indy jacket, it's a jacket-o-riffic summer!
That's the best kind of summer! Do you have any pics to share of your new US Wings/Cooper?
Are you happy with it? Anything you can share will be greatly appreciated!
I have a couple of initial
Pics and an opinion over in the Cooper 40th thread. In short, I bought it as a casual “everyday wear” jacket and for that purpose, I absolutely love it.
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

Ark101 wrote:I’ve never had a Wested yet and this really has me tempted! Just drives me crazy that the shortest sleeve is 23” when I likely will need a 22 or 22.5” sleeve custom.

Just pick 23” in the tab and send Wested your exact custom measurements via e-mail. That’s what I did back then since I also needed 22” for the sleeves.
Ark101
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Ark101 »

LostRaider25 wrote:
Ark101 wrote:I’ve never had a Wested yet and this really has me tempted! Just drives me crazy that the shortest sleeve is 23” when I likely will need a 22 or 22.5” sleeve custom.

Just pick 23” in the tab and send Wested your exact custom measurements via e-mail. That’s what I did back then since I also needed 22” for the sleeves.

Awesome! I’ll keep that in mind when I’m ready to order!
MattWinchell
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by MattWinchell »

LostRaider25 wrote:

I've been eyeing the Wested Legacy Raiders for a while now as I am starting my Raiders costume journey. Unfortunately, they don't have a chest size listed at 34", as the minimum is 36". Do you think they'll take custom measurements for such an important measurement like that or no? If not, I might wait and build some cash up for the Steel & Jones Raiders jacket.
Sakis
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Sakis »

MattWinchell wrote:I've been eyeing the Wested Legacy Raiders for a while now as I am starting my Raiders costume journey. Unfortunately, they don't have a chest size listed at 34", as the minimum is 36". Do you think they'll take custom measurements for such an important measurement like that or no? If not, I might wait and build some cash up for the Steel & Jones Raiders jacket.
You don't have to use their site's ordering form. Back in 1999 I took my own measurements, mailed them and they made the jacket fit like a glove. Just mail them first and ask for directions.
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

I agree with Sakis. Just shoot them an email regarding your inquiry and they’ll tell you what to do if your specific size is not listed in the options. This is what I did with my sleeve length and back length when I ordered my first jacket from them.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

MattWinchell wrote:
LostRaider25 wrote:

I've been eyeing the Wested Legacy Raiders for a while now as I am starting my Raiders costume journey. Unfortunately, they don't have a chest size listed at 34", as the minimum is 36". Do you think they'll take custom measurements for such an important measurement like that or no? If not, I might wait and build some cash up for the Steel & Jones Raiders jacket.
I’m a pretty skinny guy and I ordered my jacket when 38 was their smallest size. If need be I think you should be fine with the 36.
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

LostRaider25 wrote:I agree with Sakis. Just shoot them an email regarding your inquiry and they’ll tell you what to do if your specific size is not listed in the options. This is what I did with my sleeve length and back length when I ordered my first jacket from them.
Yes, I agree with that. I went to visit them about two years ago for a look at their leathers and the very helpful man gave me a quick measure and I just dropped the measurements into a mail for them to make my jacket- they should be able to do pretty much anything you need.
I think the only issues start to come in for larger jackets where, with some of the shrunken leathers, they just don't have the widths necessary.
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Anyone have any luck distressing these jackets to look as good as they do on the Wested website, update progress pics, etc. lol? ;)
lorne73
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by lorne73 »

Sakis wrote:Wested just released their Last Crusade Legacy distress jacket and it's amazing.
Looks great! \:D/
IndianaSmitty
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by IndianaSmitty »

Well, I'll give Wested this.... they are currently KILLING it in terms of wait. I ordered the LC Legacy on the 23rd of June, and it is scheduled to arrive TODAY. A custom-made jacket from the UK in less than two weeks? That's nuts.

We'll see how it looks and fits, but that's a very impressive turn-around time.

I intend to distress it, as this will be my costume jacket, so we'll see how that goes.
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

What is the average cost now for a custom Wested Legacy after taxes and duties?
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

I had placed an order for a special order jacket on June 26th and received on July 5th here in FL. Didn't have to pay any customs duties or taxes.
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

JC1972 wrote:I had placed an order for a special order jacket on June 26th and received on July 5th here in FL. Didn't have to pay any customs duties or taxes.
How's the leather?
IndianaSmitty
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by IndianaSmitty »

I received my LC legacy jacket today! The turn around time was amazing.

First impressions are very good. The skin weight is a good medium weight... with great drape and very supple, but without feeling flimsy or fragile. No insulation in this one. The grain is fairly subdued, in keeping with the screen used skins, but the skins feel very luxe to me. I’ve begun distressing. I am using a scotchbrite pad. Seems to distress well with moderate pressure. I prefer mechanical distressing in this case so I have not tried using acetone yet. I may use some to blend the distressing when I am finished. Lastly, the cut seems right on. I ordered the jacket slightly small for me as I expect to lose another twenty pounds by the fall. It should be a perfect fit then (right now it is a tight squeeze).
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

IndianaSmitty wrote:I received my LC legacy jacket today! The turn around time was amazing.

First impressions are very good. The skin weight is a good medium weight... with great drape and very supple, but without feeling flimsy or fragile. No insulation in this one. The grain is fairly subdued, in keeping with the screen used skins, but the skins feel very luxe to me. I’ve begun distressing. I am using a scotchbrite pad. Seems to distress well with moderate pressure. I prefer mechanical distressing in this case so I have not tried using acetone yet. I may use some to blend the distressing when I am finished. Lastly, the cut seems right on. I ordered the jacket slightly small for me as I expect to lose another twenty pounds by the fall. It should be a perfect fit then (right now it is a tight squeeze).
we need see pics please.
IndianaSmitty
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by IndianaSmitty »

Here's some preliminary pics.

I've done a first pass on distressing.

Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

Looks great, thanks for posting.
Not sure why the pics Wested posted looks more russet than yellow (undertone)
IndianaSmitty
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by IndianaSmitty »

Hammerklavier wrote:Looks great, thanks for posting.
Not sure why the pics Wested posted looks more russet than yellow (undertone)
Probably because the person who did the distressing weither a) used acetone (which I prefer not to do, because it removes natural oils), or b) oiled or used dressing on the jacket after distressing.

In the pics above, I have "scrubbed" the jack, but have not done a dressing pass yet (work in progress). I did do a dressing test patch, and it definitely makes the distressing more subtle, and more of a "russet" color.
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

Wow, that looks beautiful!

The undertone might turn into the russet color once you lightly condition it. It gives it a deeper color in my experience, but do know this will blend in the distress marks more, so do it carefully and sparingly.

Wear it in great health and congratulations on the awesome jacket!
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

That looks terrific! No dye applied? All that with just a scotchbrite pad? Wow.
IndianaSmitty
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by IndianaSmitty »

LostRaider25 wrote:Wow, that looks beautiful!

The undertone might turn into the russet color once you lightly condition it. It gives it a deeper color in my experience, but do know this will blend in the distress marks more, so do it carefully and sparingly.

Wear it in great health and congratulations on the awesome jacket!
Yeah, I'm hitting it with a light coat now. Given the pad somewhat damages the top of the skin, I find the dressing also helps keep that where you want it. I want to pull back just a bit from where it is now... and deepen the color a bit. Right now, it looks a bit "applied."
IndianaSmitty
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by IndianaSmitty »

Hedji wrote:That looks terrific! No dye applied? All that with just a scotchbrite pad? Wow.
Thank you! Yes, I use a gray scotchbrite pad. I'll apply a light coat of Pecard on it to blend it in a bit and it will slightly deepen the color for a more "organic" look.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

That looks fantastic! How ‘substantial’ does the leather feel? Costume-ish, or a more sturdy jacket?
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

I wonder the same thing, what's the size of the jacket and how much it weighs?
IndianaSmitty
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by IndianaSmitty »

Hammerklavier wrote:I wonder the same thing, what's the size of the jacket and how much it weighs?
Well, I've lost a lot of weight, but I am STILL a big guy. This is a 48 inch chest, 24.5" sleeve and 27" back.

Weight is approximately 2.9 lb

It generally feels substantial, but not heavy. I could probably wear this comfortably below 65 F, but not below about 40 F. In contrast, My Cooper is probably a 30-50 F jacket. I tend to run "hot" so some may bump up those temps by 5 F.

It's rainy today, so I can't get comparable pics, but I did apply Pecard yesterday and the weathering took on a russet cast overnight, and looks really great. I'll probably leave the jacket as it is now. I am very pleased with the look, and it feels GREAT wearing it (even though a bit tight ATM).
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

IndianaSmitty wrote:
Hammerklavier wrote:I wonder the same thing, what's the size of the jacket and how much it weighs?
Well, I've lost a lot of weight, but I am STILL a big guy. This is a 48 inch chest, 24.5" sleeve and 27" back.

Weight is approximately 2.9 lb

It generally feels substantial, but not heavy. I could probably wear this comfortably below 65 F, but not below about 40 F. In contrast, My Cooper is probably a 30-50 F jacket. I tend to run "hot" so some may bump up those temps by 5 F.

It's rainy today, so I can't get comparable pics, but I did apply Pecard yesterday and the weathering took on a russet cast overnight, and looks really great. I'll probably leave the jacket as it is now. I am very pleased with the look, and it feels GREAT wearing it (even though a bit tight ATM).
Thanks, that's plenty of information.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Recieved my Legacy Crusade jacket and I'm very impressed. Leather is thicker that the Legacy Raiders but still very soft. The overall pattern and fit is very good and probably the closest they will come to delivering a LC jacket that is somewhere between the two LC jackets in the movie.. Will definitely be a good jacket for the coooler weather.
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

Would like to see some photos of it!
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Does the jacket have gussets?!?!?
tubasthebest
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by tubasthebest »

Holt wrote:Does the jacket have gussets?!?!?
My Wested Legacy Raiders does have gussets, so I would assume the others do as well.