Looking for some sizing feedback.

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

IndianaSmitty
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Looking for some sizing feedback.

Post by IndianaSmitty »

So... most of my adult life I have been very fat. I mean 5 XL kind of fat. I have recently lost a lot of weight.... over 100 lbs. I am down to about a size 50 chest. As a reward to myself, I have decided I want an Indy jacket. I've always wanted one, but now it seem like I could actually have one. I will likely lose some more weight, but I am not too bothered by that... if I have to get a new jacket later, that's a nice problem to have.

But here's the thing.... one thing I have had to deal with as a very big guy is that a lot of large sizes just scale up patterns. I'm used to jackets that fit around me being overlong, with sleeves that are far too long. I am concerned I will continue to have this problem with "standard" sized products (like the U.S. Wings jackets).

I think a custom made jacket from some place like Wested would suit me best. But I am nervous about the measurements. I am 5' 11" but what seems to be correct sizing for me, still seems shorter than "standard" sizes. Maybe I am just proportioned oddly? For example, I think a size 50 will fit me around just fine, but I think I need the 24" sleeves. And It seems a 25" back is about what I want (puts the jacket back about the middle of my bottom).

The Wested Jacket is reasonably priced, but I still wanna be sure I order a jacket that is actually wearable for me.

Any of you fine gents have any experiences or advice to make sure I get this close to right?
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Looking for some sizing feedback.

Post by Kokopelli »

Congrats on the healthier you!

The 'standard' sizes on the website (not just Wested's, either) don't seem to jive with a human being's measurements...pay that no attention. Order the custom sizing for sleeve and back length. How tall are you? The chest sizes are pretty much right on, though, speaking from personal experience.

Tip: order your sleeves a 1/2" longer than you think you want them. When they wrinkle up from wear, they will then sit where you want them to and look good.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

When I got into this hobby, I was a 50, and my jacket hunt was filled with disappointments. I'll spare you the trial and error as best I can. But keep in mind that, at the time, there were far fewer options.

Unless you live in the U.K., avoid Wested - custom or otherwise. Returns and such are costly, and their standard cuts are too short for for us heavier guys. And, as well liked as they are, they don't seem to like admitting mistakes.

U.S. wings has two different cuts, last I checked. Look for the "signature series" jackets. The fit is generous (I actually got away with a 48) and the length, while not screen accurate, looks better if you have a belly. You might have to get the sleeves altered by a local tailor.

I also had great luck with custom Magnoli jackets. If you get your measurements right, he can deliver, but you need to decide on length. Steele & Jones wasn't around back then, but I have read enough reviews that I'd be willing to try one.

Happy Hunting!
The Character
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by The Character »

I'd definitely recommend Steele & Jones ..

i dont think there's a vendor out there that checks and double checks sizes to the degree that Diego does ... i got a Truck Chase jacket last year and this year i got one of their Tank Chase jackets which issuperb and the sizing isspot on .. as is the look.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

IndianaSmitty wrote:
I think a custom made jacket from some place like Wested would suit me best. But I am nervous about the measurements. I am 5' 11" but what seems to be correct sizing for me, still seems shorter than "standard" sizes. Maybe I am just proportioned oddly? For example, I think a size 50 will fit me around just fine, but I think I need the 24" sleeves. And It seems a 25" back is about what I want (puts the jacket back about the middle of my bottom).
25" Back sounds about right. 24" sleeves doesn't sound wrong either, if that's that what you measured. The reason for custom ordering is for custom measurements after all.
IndianaSmitty
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by IndianaSmitty »

Thank you all for your input! Big help!