How does a christys compare to... (budget hat help)

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Madewithtegridy
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

How does a christys compare to... (budget hat help)

Post by Madewithtegridy »

Ok, perhaps this has been mentioned before, but i feel an up to date board could help everyone else in my kind of situation, since all ive seen has been about 10 years old.

A little backstory... I dont get much of an income, but i absolutely adore the IJ franchise (even KOTCS) and i also love owning things from movies, so naturally I spend what I can where I can, but often have to go on the cheaper end of things.

My budget is mere pennies worth, in the sense that £120 is a massive stretch and a rare occassion, with christys currently selling their poet for £110. I already own an Akubra Federation IV, styled in a LC bash, and while i love my Akubra, the felt is a little too thick for a raiders finish, so im thinking about buying a christys.

So my question to you lovely folks,

How does a Christys adventurer/poet compare to the TOP hat manufacturers?

Im mainly thinking in terms of characteristic similarities to Herbert Johnson, ie: thickness, floppiness, colour, etc. I know theyre not the most accurate, but i doubt a christys could be any where close to a penman, advintage or steele and jones. Id also replace the ribbon, so thats not a problem.

Any comparisons at all are amazing, and pictures would be much appreciated too.

I will also point out, im not planning on wearing the hat outdoors (except maybe in the garden) so rain and tapering shouldnt be a problem.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Re: How does a christys compare to... (budget hat help)

Post by Texan Scott »

You currently own probably the best Indy budget hat out there.

I used to own a few Christy's in sable, light sable and cork. Back then, the crown was tall and if you bashed it significantly, it would cause the hat to taper. The 'leather band' was stiff like cardboard. Ribbon needed work. The Fed IV Deluxe has one of the most comfortable hat bands available.

If I were in your shoes, I might consider the Penman Everyman, 80/20 felt, rabbit/beaver. This was basically the AB Henry. The felt is not super thick and is truly a quality hat. There is one hat maker in Germany-Advintage Harrison model, that also offers his version of this 80/20 blend. Quality factory hat. I owned 2.

Beyond these, would be S&J or Garrison.

Better to save a bit if necessary and buy a quality hat.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

I’ve heard that the Everyman and Harrison are made by the same manufacturer. Seeing as it’s cheaper and closer to you, I’d go with the Harrison.
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

Not familiar with the Christy's hat. But I've owned Fed IVs, a Garrison, and AdVintage Harrisons (both 100% rabbit and 80/20 rabbit-beaver).

No better bargain/entry-level hat than the Fed IV. But the Harrisons (both rabbit and rabbit-beaver) are a definite jump in quality and accuracy (thinner felt in good Indy colors, and correct ribbon, plus styled to your movie preference) for very little extra cost over the Fed IV.

At the moment, it looks like AdVintage is out of stock on both the Harrison 80/20 and rabbit. Suggest contacting Thomas Osygus through his website to find out when he expects to restock. If you're on a budget (as I am), I think it's wise to get the best hat you can comfortably afford (even if you have to hold off on ordering while you put away a bit more in savings).
I think you'll find the Harrison worth the wait. https://www.advintage.de/shop/en/harrison-fedora-hat/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I love my Harrisons and I don't think you can beat 'em for quality and accuracy at that price.
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

Howard Weinstein wrote:Not familiar with the Christy's hat. But I've owned Fed IVs, a Garrison, and AdVintage Harrisons (both 100% rabbit and 80/20 rabbit-beaver).

No better bargain/entry-level hat than the Fed IV. But the Harrisons (both rabbit and rabbit-beaver) are a definite jump in quality and accuracy (thinner felt in good Indy colors, and correct ribbon, plus styled to your movie preference) for very little extra cost over the Fed IV.

At the moment, it looks like AdVintage is out of stock on both the Harrison 80/20 and rabbit. Suggest contacting Thomas Osygus through his website to find out when he expects to restock. If you're on a budget (as I am), I think it's wise to get the best hat you can comfortably afford (even if you have to hold off on ordering while you put away a bit more in savings).
I think you'll find the Harrison worth the wait. https://www.advintage.de/shop/en/harrison-fedora-hat/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I love my Harrisons and I don't think you can beat 'em for quality and accuracy at that price.
I was just on his website and don't even see a link for the rabbit beaver blend ones. Hope he didn't discontinue them :-s
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

My guess is they are out of stock and factory in Spain might be experiencing reduced production right now. The 80/20 blend is the way to go, so I would inquire and hold out.