Wested Leather opinion

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

batmann539
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Wested Leather opinion

Post by batmann539 »

This is my first post and have enjoyed going through all the different sections. This seems like a great community.

Having researched as many threads as possible I haven't quite found the topic I'm looking for and thought I'd reach out for opinions or subject matter experts. I'm eady to pull the trigger on a Wested ROTLA but I'm not sure if I should go with the stock Lambskin or the custom with Heavy Duty Distressed Lambskin. Having a jacket that's SA is not that important to me as I'm a rather big guy and prefer longer jackets to hide the girth.

My main concern / question is I want a weathered look but not at the expense of not looking like and Indy jacket. Does anyone have or seen up close the Heavy Duty Distressed Lambskin and if so does it still have that Indy look? Or should I go with the stock Lambskin?

Even if I get the custom it will be in the same measurements as their stock size which for me would be a 52. I'm 5'9.5" or 69.5 inches tall with a 51 inch chest and a 42 waist.

Thanks in advance for any comments or differing opinions of what I've listed above.

Sean
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Wested Leather opinion

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Hey, welcome to the party. :TOH:

I have never heard of or seen Wested's Heavy Duty Distressed Lambskin. Must be a new offering. You should email them a request for pictures or a sample. If you are considering a distressed leather, I can highly recommend the dark brown Novapelle cowhide they offer. I have essentially the same hide on my Nowak Crystal Skull jacket, and I love it. Also, I find the the Crystal Skull pattern to be a bit more robust (functional) and roomy jacket design. Since you need a larger a jacket, you may want to consider it. The storm flap configuration with snaps and the larger arm holes might serve you well.

Otherwise, if you have your heart set on a Raiders jacket, email them your measurements and see what they recommend.

Cheers.
batmann539
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by batmann539 »

Here's there description and pic of it:

Sean
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

That looks pretty cool. Go for it? I would love to see an Indy in that leather.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

That screams! Would love to see and feel this hide! Wow! W>
batmann539
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by batmann539 »

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen :TOH:

I ordered the Distressed Heavy Duty Lambskin. I'll post pics when it gets in.

Sean
ijq8
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ijq8 »

batmann539 wrote:Thanks for the feedback gentlemen :TOH:

I ordered the Distressed Heavy Duty Lambskin. I'll post pics when it gets in.

Sean
I was wondering if you got your Wested yet? I was looking to order one of these in this hide as well...would love to see pics of yours and your impressions.
Cheers
Imdacaptainnow
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Imdacaptainnow »

Hey hope you got your jacket. I just got an LC in the pre distressed lamb. I like the look of it and the distressing. Wouldn’t mind it being a bit darker though. Here’s what I got:

I kind of wish the lamb was a bit heavier, it feels like a shirt almost, but it still looks great.
Attachments
9293525C-58AB-4E35-A5D4-AFB457544B06.jpeg
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

that looks like the pre-d cow they used to stock, if they still do.
Imdacaptainnow
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Imdacaptainnow »

If you look close (it’s not the best picture) you can see some of the grain and striation it has. I have a cowhide Raiders, with very little grain.

For anyone that might have though to do this, Wested denies any requests for darker skin or a more striated, grainy skin, even if ordering custom. They just say “it’s all the same”. Not the best experience, although the product is okay.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

When it first came out it was a lighter shade; looks like they’ve received some darker hides.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Imdacaptainnow wrote:
I kind of wish the lamb was a bit heavier, it feels like a shirt almost, but it still looks great.
It looks thicker than a shirt, but if you wanted something heavier you should have ordered one of the cowhides.
Imdacaptainnow
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Imdacaptainnow »

xmasters wrote:
Imdacaptainnow wrote:
It looks thicker than a shirt, but if you wanted something heavier you should have ordered one of the cowhides.
Should’ve just ordered one of the cowhides? Why didn’t I think of that?? I did. I ordered it because the Wested blog says the heavy duty pre distressed lamb feels similar to cowhide. It doesn’t really.