Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Imdacaptainnow
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Newbie Dream Jacket Help

Post by Imdacaptainnow »

55CE7EC4-3DC1-4744-B04C-4CC022204081.jpeg
55CE7EC4-3DC1-4744-B04C-4CC022204081.jpeg
[*]Hey all, I’m new here to COW, just wanted to throw up a few pictures of the Westeds I have and ask: what’s y’all’s opinion on the best compromise on jacket specs with durability, screen accuracy and fit? Here’s what l have:

-Wested Raiders in Dark Novapelle, my first custom order, 46 chest, 23 sleeve, too short at 25.5 length, wanting to sell by the way:)

-Wested Raiders in Brown Cowhide (much better fit but the skin looks...plasticky?)

-Wested LC Pre Distressed.

I currently have a Steele and Jones Cazadora 36 on the way!

I plan to wear the jacket all the time, and I can’t help but notice that the Westeds feel like a costume. I own an A2 in horse and it is SO much heavier than Wested. Feels fragile, even in cowhide. Thoughts?
Attachments
60A51EA5-389B-4869-9F33-20334C2662A0.jpeg
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Newbie Dream Jacket Help

Post by Tibor »

The age old question... do you want to capture the look (the drape, the wear, etc.) or do you want a heavy leather jacket (like horsehide, cowhide) for protection, or medium weight like goatskin for weather-resistance? Steele and Jones is brilliant and well made, but not heavy like a horsehide A-2. Kelso offers their jacket in the Liberty horsehide or Goatskin they use in flight jackets, but a good bit more expensive than Wested. You will not capture the drape and movement of the jacket seen on screen, but it may satisfy your needs.
US Wings offerings are solidly built but are too far from screen accuracy for my tastes.

Magnoli may be your solution. They make a very nice cowhide that might be just what you’re looking for at a good price: their white label:
https://www.magnoliclothiers.com/advent ... p-731.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
or their custom:
https://www.magnoliclothiers.com/advent ... p-109.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Imdacaptainnow
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Imdacaptainnow »

Thanks Tibor. Do you agree that Westeds feel like costume imitations of leather jackets?
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Mixed... I’ve had a few that were serious, sturdy goatskin... really solid. I’m more focused on capturing the look for the most part. The most recent Legacy is pretty nice, and pretty accurate. I haven’t seen the wear or distressing in person but it looks like it could get there.

Really, my years of experience with Wested is hit and miss, going back to 1987 or so. The current legacy matches the lambskin from the jackets I had in the late eighties, though probably still not what was on screen, but good.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Westeds are something in between like a Schott and something you would get OTR at the mall. They're entry level beyond just a fashion lamb jacket from a department store. But in the Indy jacket world you'll never get anything really that *weighs* anything like a horse A2, except if you're willing to pay for a BK in horse. Sometimes USW are quite heavy as well. The Indy jacket just occupies a different niche from an authentic A2 or a real motorcycle jacket etc. And you won't get that kind of weight out of a S&J or a BK, either. You'll get top notch craftsmanship and design, but in lighter weight leathers that mimic what you see on screen. Unless you were planning on flying 25 missions over Germany or actually being dragged behind a truck, I certainly wouldn't worry about a BK or S&J. Even my goat Wested has held up as well as anything else I've got.

And in the end, the actual film jackets are costume jackets. They were meant to give a 30s-ish look while not being heavy.
Imdacaptainnow
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Imdacaptainnow »

Thanks Illinois Jones. Funny enough I’m in Indiana myself. Now if I could just get the weather to steady enough in the fifties for me to wear the jacket, I’d be set.

Here’s a funny question Wested declined to answer, is the current “pre distressed lamb” in their custom selection the same as “heavy duty pre distressed lambskin” you see in their blog comparison?

I’m new to COW but these forums are the best!
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

Couldn't go wrong with the Cazadora 36! That jacket is a work of art, closest thing you can get to the real jacket you see on screen. Steel and Jones did their homework for that.

I've owned some jackets from Wested and as stated above, it's a hit or miss. If I'd pick an all around skin that can balance screen accuracy and practical use, get their goatskin. It's the first ever Indy jacket I got, and it's still in a great condition. I actually had a difficult time distressing it since it's tough as nails. The color could look a tad greyish though depending on the lighting so do keep that in mind. It's darker than the usual brown you're used to seeing.

I don't own a Magnoli but that looks like a promising option as well, especially their white label jacket.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

In terms of a good tough jacket without having to cross your fingers I would suggest US Wings. If you live in the USA it's a no brainer.
Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

An S&J was next up on my jacket list, but I took a detour when the Legacy Hero was announced by Wested, and I’m obsessed with it. The quality of the lambskin is nothing like the costume-ish feel of the older Westeds. I’ll have to circle back to the S&J once my next whip and hat purchases are out of the way. But with everything I’ve read about them, I can’t imagine you not loving it!

I’m a sucker for the original film manufacturers (i.e. HJ, Wested, Alden, etc.) so they always end up getting priority from me, but there are so many great interpretations of those key gear pieces. It’s awesome having the options but it makes it so difficult to choose!
Imdacaptainnow
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Imdacaptainnow »

Nate I may have to research the Legacy. I missed all the info on that one. Not the same as the Hero sounds like??

I’m scared to get sizing as I’m a fairly broad dude (as opposed to a fairly dude broad) about 5’9 and 235.
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

The Legacy and the Hero share the same patterns. What makes the legacy different are the leather and hardware options that make it more screen accurate.
Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

Imdacaptainnow wrote:Nate I may have to research the Legacy. I missed all the info on that one. Not the same as the Hero sounds like??

I’m scared to get sizing as I’m a fairly broad dude (as opposed to a fairly dude broad) about 5’9 and 235.
Definitely check it out. There’s a whole thread here about it. “Wested Legacy Series Announced”, I believe, is the title.

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71337" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

Are the top two pictures the Standard Brown Cowhide?